1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Meow9000, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I may be new here but i keep my eyes on the forums daily. Anyhow i've come across a slight problem that i cant figure out on my own, so i shall start from the begining.

My Pc was due for a clean and i also purchased a new CPU heatsink because it was running a little warm on the stock cooler. so i decided to take apart my system and rebuild it, cleaning all the dust as i rebuilt. this all went fine, i sturggled with the heatsink because the holding clip was a little tighter than the stock. Long story short after putting it back together i booted the system and went into windows except my Vcard was not detedcted, windows done its thing and installed some drivers and repaired it apparently. After a re-boot the system blue screened so fast i could not even see the error before it restarted.

so thinking it was best, i put in my windows CD and started a clean install, but my raid was not detected so i went into the BIOS and enabled it on the settings. But when my system restarted all i got was a black screen. So i cleared the CMOS and started again, switched on raid in the settings and again all i got was a black screen after the auto restart. All setting at the moment are stock.

The only diffrence is that i moved my Vcard from the bottom PCI 16x to the top during the rebuild.

I've checked everything i can think of at this moment, but being a little tired i might have missed something simple or done something wrong. so any suggestions on what the problem might be are appreciated, sorry for the long post but i wanted to give as much info on what i have done as possible to have the best chance to find the problem. If theres anything more i can provide to help, just ask.

~ meow

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Windows was doing a install because you switched the PCI E slots from one to another...the blue screens well not sure yet.
    Windows re-install will need to have the Floppy raid drivers(or whatever,usb stick,cd)at the what is ?Oh ya F6 prompt before you actually install windows...yes you will need to set up Raid in your bios first.
    So now that you have already started a reformat...get all your mobo drivers.
    Install and do the F6 option to load drivers(raid drivers) when Windows ask before the actual installation of windows.
    once windows is loaded install mobo drivers and video card suite.

3. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem being after i enable RAID in the bios, or change any setting for that matter my system fails to boot. No warning beeps or flashing lights on my Mobo. But when i clear CMOS and reboot i can get into the bios fine. Im thinking worse case that the BIOS is corrupt or damaged in someway. but thats strange because i went nowhere near the chip on the rebuild and it originaly booted into windows though the Vcard was not recognised, i thought that might be because i switched the slots. im lost for ideas at the moment.

~ meow

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Slowly, carefully check all motherboard connections and cables. Check for missing mobo jumpers.
    Check the CPU heatsink/thermal paste (yes again, take your time though anbd look from more than one angle with a good light,)

Sounds like a loose(or gone bad) HDD data or power cable/connector.

5. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Little update, i have gone through all the wires checking and cabling to make sure theres no loose or damaged cables. Though i have managed to boot it past the BIOS and i got a CMOS checksum error. Now seeing as i cant make any changes to the BIOS and save them successfuly could this be related to the motherboard/BIOS chip itself ?

HDD are fine
    RAM is fine
    CPU seems fine
    Vcard seems fine also

So i fear the worst at the moment, i recently lost my job so replacing any major parts at the moment is a no-go unless it can be fixed in some otherway. Thanks for the replies so far.

~ meow

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009