1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

boot sector virus maxtor 6E040L0

Discussion in 'Storage' started by iEATurBRAINS, Mar 26, 2009.

1. iEATurBRAINS New Member

Thanks Received:
    i need the boot sector reinstallation bootable iso for a maxtor 6E040L0, but seagate bought maxtor and their site is all f'ed up and i cant fine what i need! can someone help please?

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    boot sector viruses are extremely rare these days.

You tried formatting the disk?

3. iEATurBRAINS New Member

Thanks Received:
    with a guttman wipe

4. iEATurBRAINS New Member

Thanks Received:
    someone said it might be going memory dormant and i might have to flash my bios and a bunch of other stuff

5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    well they're wrong. Viruses just cant get into your BIOS, and anyone who knows the basics of a PC knows that viruses cant hide in memory with the system off - NOTHING remains in memory, once a PC is powered off.

6. iEATurBRAINS New Member

Thanks Received:
    well then wtf survives a guttman wipe?

7. iEATurBRAINS New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive been using this os and this version of dban for years and now im having trojans after every reinstallation of windows xp

8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i dont even know what a guttman wipe is.

What 'virus' problem are you having?

edit: dont double post, use edits instead.

Your trojan problem isnt coming from your ram or hard drive. trojans are not a boot sector virus. What XP disk are you using, and what service pack is this disk.

9. iEATurBRAINS New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know the virus isnt coming from dban, or the os instalation disk, or the driver disk, because ive used them for years. so right now, every few hours i am reinstalling windows and the drivers and nothing else and i see the trojans in the corner begging me to click them, and in a few hours i am unable to reach the desktop after rebooting. i am going almost no where on the internet except to help forums about this.

10. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    wipeing the disc wouldnt even help, you dont need to wipe the disc, worst case scenario, you can just repartition and do fdisk /MBR [or from the repair console, fixmbr]

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    in my opinion those disks have to be at fault.

Unless these files are coming locally from a networked machine, they're coming from your disks or the internet.

If its coming direct from the net, install a decent antivirus like kaspersky before plugging it in to the network.

12. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    Do you know the name of the specific virus you are getting? It may be possible you have a worm on your network assuming that it's connected to one

13. Luke

Thanks Received:
    The virus could be coming back in files you backed up if you backed up you files
    or on a Flash drive or something like that

14. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:

A guttman wipe is 35 passes of 1's and 0's on the Harddrive....gvt agencies use it.....Pentagon/FBI/CIA/SS. :toast:

Sounds like you've backed up the virus.......I've never seen a virus survive a Zero write pass.

Hope it helps. :)

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i've never seen a virus survive a 10 second quick format... they cant auto start without something to tell them to run (registry settings, startup shortcuts, etc)

16. mcloughj

Thanks Received:
    sounds to me like he's installing with a pre xp sp1 disk and going straight onto the net without a firewall or antivirus software. asking for trouble really.

Download XpSp3 and put it on a flash or cd. reinstall windows and install Xpsp3. turn on the windows firewall (better than nothing) and allow automatic updates to get you up to date without opening Internet explorer.

Don't go on the net before installing the service pack (disconnect wire to your pc and everrything.)

best of luck

17. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Unless you have got CIH/Chernobyl or some variant and your computer was made around 1998 to 2004 or so, it ain't going to write code to your bios. Modern bios has that blocked. Not saying someone couldn't do it. Anyway that virus activates on April 26. And, 2004 was the last recorded incident.

You even said yourself, you are getting pop-ups telling you to click on this and that. They want you to click, so they can try to load more code and contact the evil doers. Trojans, probably on one of your disks you are using, if you wiped your hard drives and reformatted and partitioned, it is on your install media.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009