• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot Times WTF

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
For those who don't know this trick. Open notepad and paste the following into it.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd\windows\system32
start devmgmt.msc

Save the file as "show_hidden_dev.bat"

Run the file and it will apply the variable to show devices that arn't in the system anymore. This can be external drives, removed volumes, removed hardware, things of that nature. It's kinda like when you looked in the device manager from safemode in Windows 98 and saw doubbles of things.

After devicemanager is open don't forget to tick "show hidden devices" from the view menu. (see pic). You will see the removed hardware as grayed out. Be careful and only removed things like unused harddrives and generic volumes. Don't remove EVERY grayed out item. Stay out of the "Sound video and game controllers" and the "non-plug and play drivers" for example.

This made a noticable improvement (50%) in my boot time on my other computer. I had that system for over 2 1/2 years with the same install and I had 75 volumes that were not in use and over 40 harddrives that weren't in the system anymore!! Windows remembers EVERYTHING. :wtf:

EDIT - See the attached pic to see what I'm talking about. Those drives have been removed from the system. I have a feeling Windows might "verify" there non-exhistance when it boots hence removing them improved bootup time.

Attachments

• hidden_example.jpg
    hidden_example.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 365
Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus p5w DH Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Andy Samurai, 4x80mm silenx, 2x120mm silenx fans
Memory 2x2gb G.Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) xfx black edition 6870
Storage 250gb seagate sata, 2x250gb seagate perp (raid0)
Display(s) dell 24"
Case Coolermaster atc s4000 sx-1
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy2 Platinum
Power Supply Antec True Power Trio 650w
Software winXP pro x64
that's interesting indeed.

On a side note, I'm getting to the windows screen in 45s and fully operational in 60s in XPx64

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Sounds like a device time-out... I had a similar problem with my rig when a drive wasn't plugged in correctly. If you have a DVD/CD or any other drive (USB, floppy, etc) - disconnect them one at a time, you might find a culprit.

The other thing is if you have any device enabled in BIOS that for some reason can't be found, it'll wait till the time-out period.

Worth a shot. Luck.

ex_reven

Sounds like a device time-out... I had a similar problem with my rig when a drive wasn't plugged in correctly. If you have a DVD/CD or any other drive (USB, floppy, etc) - disconnect them one at a time, you might find a culprit.

The other thing is if you have any device enabled in BIOS that for some reason can't be found, it'll wait till the time-out period.

Worth a shot. Luck.

device time out ay....sounds just like my dvd burner

ive been having constant problems since i got it.
it exists in my computer, but when i try to explore a cd/copy files it says "device I/O error"
sometimes a reboot fixes it, but most time it stays screwed...i fixed it one time, but it just went back to the error after the next boot

il measure startup time with and without dvd drive now

ex_reven

i unplugged the dvd drive...

boot times dropped by 1 Minute
to 1:30, which is slightly more reasonable

what the hell do i do about the drive?

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
i unplugged the dvd drive...

boot times dropped by 1 Minute
to 1:30, which is slightly more reasonable

what the hell do i do about the drive?

That's crazy how one dvd drive could slow you down. Maybe try another brand? Is there another drive on that cable or just the dvd? Try turning on or off dma for that channel. Device manager>ide ata/atapi controllers> choose properties for the channel the drive is on and on the advanced tab set the transfer mode to dma or pio. Try changing that.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
The DVD drive, eh? Either a cabling problem, a faulty drive, conflict with another device or incorrect drive settings in the BIOS - I was going to ask if you were having problems with it and then read above. Process of eliminitation... could even be a jumper setting on the drive.

I assume it's IDE - do you have any other drives on the same channel/cable?

Could also be access mode settings in BIOS causing compatibility problems.

I'd start with the cable - including the power cable (I actually think my original problem was a bad molex connection - intermittent power)

Last edited:

Zero Cool

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester BOX, 939 OC @ 2.7
Motherboard DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert - nForce4 SLI
Cooling 3D Galaxy II, Gigabyte CPU idle below 35C
Memory 2x 1GB KINGSTON DDR Dual Channel
Video Card(s) EN7900GTX EXTREME EDITION 2DHT 512MB
Storage Seagate 200GB 7200rpm
Display(s) ASUS MW221 < 22" WideScreen / 1680x1050
Case Sunbeam Samurai Gaming Case, Half broken by mum
Audio Device(s) Intergrated within the Mother Board 7.1 surround sound
Power Supply Chieftec 500W MODEL: CFT-5000-A12S
Software Windows Vista Ultimate
try some simple things too, like derfregmanting you hdd and deleting all nessescary shit from it/

ex_reven

The DVD drive, eh? Either a cabling problem, a faulty drive, conflict with another device or incorrect drive settings in the BIOS - I was going to ask if you were having problems with it and then read above. Process of eliminitation... could even be a jumper setting on the drive.

I assume it's IDE - do you have any other drives on the same channel/cable?

Could also be access mode settings in BIOS causing compatibility problems.

I'd start with the cable - including the power cable (I actually think my original problem was a bad molex connection - intermittent power)

its IDE

its a new cable, but i could try another

cant be the power as ive used three powersupplies in this rig :)

il check bios, photograph some stuff so you guys can check my settings in case i miss something

ex_reven

That's crazy how one dvd drive could slow you down. Maybe try another brand? Is there another drive on that cable or just the dvd? Try turning on or off dma for that channel. Device manager>ide ata/atapi controllers> choose properties for the channel the drive is on and on the advanced tab set the transfer mode to dma or pio. Try changing that.

its all set to PIO
when i went back to my computer, now the drive is not even being picked up
il reboot and check

and its not a fragment problem
this computer has only been booted 20 times in its lifespan

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Eventvwr.msc is your pal: Use it - it may show what is what here, like some service going nuts trying to start, or device driver etc. et al, as well... clueing you into what is up here!

It may help... especially the SYSTEM & APPLICATIONS sections, based on what you're telling us here!

GOOD LUCK!

APK

P.S.=> Lazzer408, neat trick:

You've made my personal documents archive in that one... thanks, & good job!

I've always just used the menu from the photo you note, & didn't realize a DOS batch "SET" statement could do the job here, & I had NO IDEA this tool has environmental %variable% items... good to see it does, & that they can be controlled thus! I use that to remove device drivers!

(gmer antirootkit being the latest example in fact, to uninstall it so other AntiRootkit tools would work, since some complain if its driver is active (it usually isn't, but is a PnP type, activated on demand only))...

I find THIS particular feature of device manager VERY handy - it's GREAT if you use diff. hardware profiles, because you can make drivers active/inactive, based on the logon you use (say, a home logon or network logon for a laptop you may use in both places & if they have diff. networking types etc.)... apk

Last edited:

ex_reven

Eventvwr.msc is your pal: Use it - it may show what is what here, like some service going nuts trying to start, or device driver etc. et al, as well... clueing you into what is up here!

It may help... especially the SYSTEM & APPLICATIONS sections, based on what you're telling us here!

GOOD LUCK!

APK

P.S.=> Lazzer408, neat trick:

You've made my personal documents archive in that one... thanks, & good job!

I've always just used the menu from the photo you note, & didn't realize a DOS batch "SET" statement could do the job here, & I had NO IDEA this tool has environmental %variable% items... good to see it does, & that they can be controlled thus! I use that to remove device drivers!

(gmer antirootkit being the latest example in fact, to uninstall it so other AntiRootkit tools would work, since some complain if its driver is active (it usually isn't, but is a PnP type, activated on demand only))...

I find THIS particular feature of device manager VERY handy - it's GREAT if you use diff. hardware profiles, because you can make drivers active/inactive, based on the logon you use (say, a home logon or network logon for a laptop you may use in both places & if they have diff. networking types etc.)... apk

ok alec, no anger directed your way, i have absolutely no f--king idea how to use this

HOWEVER, just from taking a peek around i see directories labelled:
Application
Security
System
ACEEventLog

there are ZERO events in security, but in the three other directories there are literally
more than 2400 "Information" events in application about 2400 in the system directory.
Each of these events is no more than 2 seconds after the one that came before it.

The information on these comes from EAPOL...what is that supposed to be?

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
ok alec, no anger directed your way, i have absolutely no f--king idea how to use this

HOWEVER, just from taking a peek around i see directories labelled:
Application
Security
System
ACEEventLog

there are ZERO events in security, but in the three other directories there are literally
more than 2400 "Information" events in application about 2400 in the system directory.
Each of these events is no more than 2 seconds after the one that came before it.

The information on these comes from EAPOL...what is that supposed to be?

You'll want to SORT the entries present: Sorry for my not mentioning that above, I really should have!

(Disregard the INFORMATION ones, but pay attention to the ERROR & WARNING ones!)

You sort them by clicking on the TYPE columns in the right-hand side pane, where the messages themselves are for the SYSTEM & APPLICATION categories, once you select & highlite them in the left-hand side pane that is!

Once they're sorted, scroll up & down thru them... see what they say!

(Security log section/tree item in left-hand side pane doesn't apply here anyhow, MOST LIKELY, & the ACEEventLog one? I have never seen that one before - probably some application specific one, like IE7 has in Windows Server 2003, & like IIS + other Server OS processes can & do have!)

TIP: What can help you here, is to highlite a particular eventlog, & CLEAR the log... reboot again, & it will be FAR LESS MESSAGES FOR YOU TO PARSE THRU!

* Good luck, but this SHOULD help you "zero-in" quite possibly, on the offending process here slowing up your bootup!

APK

P.S.=> Back to "Dr. Who" & the "Ark in Space" (Tom Baker as the good doctor) episode, & time to 'sign off' for tonite, for me... good nite all! apk

Last edited:

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
Excuse me if I suggest something already mentioned in the thread. I was having real slow boot times with my system. I unchecked NCQ for my hdd(s) in the device manager and it solved my problem.

Also, your ide primary/secondary, master slave settings correct?

ex_reven

Excuse me if I suggest something already mentioned in the thread. I was having real slow boot times with my system. I unchecked NCQ for my hdd(s) in the device manager and it solved my problem.

Also, your ide primary/secondary, master slave settings correct?

i would have been concerned with the primary/master settings
but my DVD is the primary IDE, due to the fact that my hard drive is SATA

GLD

Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Your hdd support NCQ? Mine doesn't and so seemed to be my boot anchor.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
& the ACEEventLog one? I have never seen that one before - probably some application specific one, like IE7 has in Windows Server 2003, & like IIS + other Server OS processes can & do have!)

iirc, ACEEventlog has to do with the ATI drivers

GLD

Case Antec GX202.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Native command queuing. Under your sata controller. Sorry, I said hdd earlier.

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.
Have you done something like Memtest, or a Diskcheck on all your HDDs? More importantly the one with XP on it.

My system completely boots up into perfect using in 40s or so. 22 programs up on boot. 23 as I type this, because of Opera :)

ex_reven

Native command queuing. Under your sata controller. Sorry, I said hdd earlier.

under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers list i have:
Intel(R) ICH8 2 Port Sserial ATA storage controller - 2825
and
Intel(R) ICH8 4 Port Serial ATA storage controller - 2820

neither of them have anything like NCQ in their properties tabs

i also have 2 Primary IDE Channels and 2 Secondary IDE Channels
but they are irrelevant in this im guessing, since we are talking about SATA

ex_reven

Have you done something like Memtest, or a Diskcheck on all your HDDs? More importantly the one with XP on it.

My system completely boots up into perfect using in 40s or so. 22 programs up on boot. 23 as I type this, because of Opera :)

Cant run memtest, i dont have any boot mediums/floppy drives

GLD

Case Antec GX202.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
In the SCSI and Raid controllers tree, in device manager. Is there a box somewhere to uncheck "enable command queuing"?

ex_reven

In the SCSI and Raid controllers tree, in device manager. Is there a box somewhere to uncheck "enable command queuing"?

the only object in that tree is:
jmicron jmb36x controller
which im pretty sure is a raid controller