1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot up got blocked :S

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Aleksander, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Ok, this is not the black screen of death type. I format my drive C and than install the windows Xp or vista (whatever) but it cannot boot up, meaning that it runs bios perfectly and than stayis there without doing anthing just the _ and a black screen. Anyone has this kind of issue fixed? This has never happened before formating with windows 7!!!
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like you forgot to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the HDD.
  3. PC-Myths

PC-Myths New Member

Thanks Received:
    Possible, depending on what his boot order is in the first place, but he has already formatted + installed his OS, so in theory his boot order should be in some correct manor.

No harm in checking your boot sequence though :)

Also I would take the connector's off the drive and give a quick hard blow into both each the drive port itself and the cable, I only ever come across this when using IDE cable's but I'm certain it can happen on Sata too, after all it is just another type of cable what can get dust trapped.
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    not exactly PC-Myths. formatting and installing will not affect your bios boot disk order. you may be thinking of the MBR , as though he had multiple OS's and it had to choose which to boot, then a format/install probably would set the most recent as the default.

but not in bios. Mussels is right at least in that could definitely be the problem. if it is? idk.

the thing is though, it shouldn't be blank. it should at the very least say it can't find the loader, or there is no disk, or no volume, or no os on the disk. if it was just boot order, it should definitely not be blank.

as far as what it probably is? i'm sorry. IDK. I would troubleshoot by taking the HDD out and see what it does. Then put the 7 CD back in and see what it does. if necessary reinstall 7.

do you have other HDDs in the computer? take them out for now. IDK the answer right away but I can def help troubleshoot...
  5. PC-Myths

PC-Myths New Member

Thanks Received:
    Point I was getting at is that his HDD would have to be 2nd in the boot order CD/DVD drive first, in order for the OS to be read from the CD/DVD drive to be written onto the HDD in the first place, you get what I'm saying?
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    right but wrong.

the cd/dvd drive has to be first. the OS drive could be 10th and you could still install on it. and then after reboot it would find the cd drive empty, and drive #2 with no OS, and not boot. but as i said he should see an error message. not a blank screen.
  7. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    it sounds like he has a usb drive plugged in and its trying to read it,or the boot order is fuggered you would get a error msg if it was reading the wrong drive something like bootmgr is missing
    1 Million points folded for TPU
  8. PC-Myths

PC-Myths New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very true on that part about he should see some kind of error rather than what he is seeing at the moment,

Another suggestion could be do you have something in your CD/DVD drive? I once found myself not being able to boot my rig what was pretty much a clean install however I put my ASUS software disc in the drive and it would not boot, come to think of it I had the same screen come up on me. Not saying that is the problem in your case, but thought i'd get it in this thread :)

EDIT: or just as AthlonX2 just said, a USB drive :)
  9. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    None of what you guys are talking about is my case. I mean only the order of the boot drives MAYBE is the real problem. Anyway you guys all know that all things are alright. I could format and install the OS as normally before installing the windows 7. After installing windows 7 happened all this. So i format with vista or XP than there has to come up another screen after restarting the computer which installs the OS. After the restart comes up this blank screen which does not read the CD-Rom or DVD or USB or whatever you want to try out stands there and the CPU does not function. Really weird situation, because i have formated the system with USB (which i didnt put it in with the first try and all other tries).
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    CD/DVD drive does not have to be first. It doesn't have to be on the list at all. For my bootup option I only have my O/S drive listed.

Aleksander Dishnica: You probablly need separate SATA drivers since you are using an older system. Go to the motherboard manufacturer website to obtain those.
  11. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    What is that? Sorry can you help me with the "separate sata drivers" or smth like that?
  12. erocker

Thanks Received:
  13. PC-Myths

PC-Myths New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your right as I'm sure you know, but also in this case and any other, the moment you do a clean install whatever you installed the OS from, usually CD/DVD drive is the one to be listed in first in your boot order.. unless you change this at the soonest point possible.

Good idea about the Sata driver's! Although in my experience I've not needed the drivers... Please I did say my experience, I'm not in competition to think "I know it all" and that they are not needed in this case either or so and so.

erocker that is not aimed at you, but however I've noticed a few boys at TPU who jump down your throat when you suggest a solution what is only possible to be the answer.
  14. erocker

Thanks Received:
    One thing that I learned is never explain yourself on the internet. ;) If people want to jump down my throat I don't mind, it's just my virtual throat and it can hold a billion trolls within it!:D But, I regress. During an O/S install the CD/DVD drive should be the 1st boot option, and in the HDD order selection the O/S drive should be 1st (though that doesn't really matter). Once the O/S is installed off of the disc, during the next bootup it should be switched so that the O/S drive is booted first. :toast:
  15. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    BECAUSE:banghead:WE:banghead:ARE:banghead:IGNORANT!!
  16. PC-Myths

PC-Myths New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, it gives a few less vital seconds to wait during boot-up :D

:nutkick: :laugh:

EDIT: erocker Thanks for your view on how you deal with certain kind's of people on the internet... it really does make sense :D
  17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    for mine, and the last 10 i have built in order to boot off a cd to install from it you have to have it as your 1st boot option. no way around, it has to be #1. note, we were specifically speaking about to install, not to boot.

edit: I see you responded to this in your reply to pc-myths. I just saw myself quoted and your response and decided to reply - my bad.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

Both of those is what i was getting it, saying his boot order sounded wrong.