1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot up problem, not sure if its the HDD or MOBO...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by dady78, Nov 8, 2012.

1. dady78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had my current setup for over a yr. I have a gigabyte mobo 2 500gb hdd, and the problem is that it simply wont post or continue to boot up. The last time this happened I thought the PSU went out and went and bought a new/bigger one(700w to 900w). After buying the new PSU and installing it, I realized that my Mobo had a reset button on it... I pushed that button and it came back to life. As we all know(i would assume we do), wheat generally fixes the problem and it is short lived, that usually isnt the problem. something else caused it to not work. Am I digging too much to think that it simply isnt the mobo and the problem could lie somewhere else?:banghead: someone please :slap: if i am digging too far.

couldnt help use the icons... :toast:

2. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    I would go back to basics. Barebone system.Pull everything out, ram, gpu, peripheral cards, hardrives, pull it back to just your motherboard,cpu and psu. Then power it on see what happens.Does it post?If it doesnt well you know there is a problem in one of those areas, if it does post, build your machine again from the ground up adding one component at a time until you find something that just doesnt seem right or gives errors, or whatever. Thats my advice anyway =)

:toast:

3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    well if the reset button on your mobo fixes it, then it is your mobo... If it was the HDD or any other component the reset button wouldn't do anything.

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Not necessarily, but likely. But if you want help please list all your parts, OS

5. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Try another HDD. If it still doesn't work then it might be the motherboard. It could also be a faulty RAM. Or your CPU might be blown. A lot of possibilities.