1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Booting on an AMD GPU with Nvidia Drivers

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Goshko, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Goshko

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, so I recently changed my gpu from amd to nvidia ... now the guy I sold the amd card too, wants to see it work on my computer ... so I was wondering if I have to uninstall my nvidia drivers before booting on the amd gpu just to show him all is good with the amd card.

Thank you,

2. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    No but what I experienced was right clicking on the desktop resulted in a long hang as the nvidia context menu seemed upset about no nv hardware. I would uninstall the driver before popping in the Radeon. It's easy enough to re-install compared to swapping the hardware.

3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Both drivers can coexist just fine. I have both drivers installed at all times on my noise testing machine and haven't encountered real issues for years. Sometimes CCC wants to popup a message that no AMD card is found, just click ok and be done with it.

4. Goshko

Thanks Received:
    Can't that create conflicts while playing games ?

5. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I run a CFX set up and I'm lazy uninstalling my Nvidia Drivers because I have a GTX 590 that I sometimes bench and so far I have never had issues. If you want piece of mind you can always go into taskmanager and stop anything with Nvidia or Geforce in the name or description.

6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No. Windows won't even load the kernel mode driver if the hardware is missing. The popup from CCC comes because CCC (which isn't a kernel mode program) gets loaded and wonders where the AMD card is .. AMD developer fail basically. The system will work just fine.

_JP_ and DRDNA say thanks.
  7. Goshko

Thanks Received:
    ok cool thanks for the replies guys !

8. 4ghz

Thanks Received:
    I've tried this long ago, I had a few 32MB ATi cards to get rid and I thought I'd test them first. At the time 8800GTS was a good NVidia card and the 9000 series was new and high end.

First time I tried was a disaster. BSoD'ed on bootup, restarted in safe mode, couldn't change driver, rebooted into normal but with error message and when I checked hardware profile I had over 200 ATi cards loaded. Even after I removed it and cleaned the driver I still had unreliable video and eventually had to do a clean install.

Never again did I let NVidia and ATi video mix in one computer. The video drivers may have changed to behave better. Windows definitely changed, 7 was more stable than XP when changing hardware. Still it'd be at your risk. People have gotten away with mixing both without a trouble, using one for mining or other as Physx.