1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Borderlands the game

Discussion in 'Games' started by MKmods, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    first person shooter role playing game

2. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I understand that but I didn't realize they started making games from both genres? I just don't see where the RPG aspect comes into play.

3. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    When you kill something you gain xp, you use that xp to level up your character and specialize into specific skill sets. Thats where the rpg element comes into play.

shevanel says thanks.
  4. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    They should definately not make random levels, and high end items should not be random, but actually have names.

Having things random like that lose their....overall meaning i guess, there is no importance to it, it is just random crap again and again. Something that is the same points to something that actually exists. Something that is random points to something that has absolutely no value of any physical sort. If the levels are random, i WILL not buy this game, regardless of its rating.

5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Fallout 3

6. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean you don't like random (high level) loot? I actually prefer it that way... As opposed to like "go to this spot for weapon x". That way it keeps the game interesting and exciting, because you never know when you might pick up an awesome item. Pretty sure that is how Diablo works as well from my short time playing it.

is awesome.

7. rpsgc

rpsgc

Thanks Received:
    ...super duper awesome.

Which is why I'll be playing it again with the GOTY edition (after 113h into the first run :p) and skip Borderlands.

8. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finished all the missions and dlc's with the xfire saying 117 hours. Def. some good bang for your buck.

Personally I think they should sell all the dlc's together (without the original like GOTY).

9. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This game does look interesting, but it looks like more of an FPS than an RPG.
    I think I will wait and see what the reviews on Dragon Age : Origins (BioWare), are like.
    From what I've read, the editor looks really promising for a ton of community based mods (which BioWare has always supported fantastically).
    The game is supposed to have over 100 hours playtime without mods, and since they've removed themselves from the restiction of the DnD based games, it is suppost to be more mature and thought provoking than any of their previous work.

10. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    ok, ima pumped. im gonna buy this :). I just hope the character is saved on the server instead locally to avoid cheaters..

11. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully it'll be a much brighter game with more colors than Fallout 3. The game itself wasn't bad, just all of the grey, grey, dark green, and more grey made me depressed. Looks like a neat game, I'll probably just wait for Rage though. They seem similar artistically but I just can't handle RPG's. >.>

12. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Depressing was kinda the point in Fallout 3. To make the world feel lost, depressing, and bleak. I too felt a little down in the game when I played Fallout 3 for too long, then I would go back to a town that liked me, talk to some people and that would cheer me up a little.

Borderlands.

While caves, loot, weapon caches are all random, the alien tech you are trying to find will most likely not be. Also guns have levels in themselves. You can take a gun an improve it with items and stuff you find, so I don't think you will get something game breaking unless you are hanging out with friends online at a higher level, then go back to single player with your new loot.

13. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Towns obliterated by nuclear blasts don't tend to be too colorful.

Unless of course you had some good drugs before coming out of the Vault. :roll:

14. bigtye New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are also high level special weapons designed into the game. These do occur at random drops but come preassigned with set values and names from the dev team. So not all items are randomly generated.

Tye

15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well I decided to go preorder on this game...it's just too interesting to turn down...and for a guy that still plays Far Cry 2, I'll get my value out of it! :D

And with the mess of the recent Modern Warfare 2 news, I might need something to get me by while I watch what happens after release (MP-wise for MW2 that is). I'm definitely looking forward to the 26th coming up fast and getting the game loaded up, seeing how things play out. I know some aren't sure on the graphics, but it still looks good to my eyes and it also looks like it plays great both smoothness/animation-wise and gameplay-wise...I'll be able to find out for myself in about 8 days.

:toast:

16. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Im trying to get a couple more to get the Steam 4 pack (looks like Me and Craig are getting it so far) For 30 something it looks like a great deal.

17. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Ok, after looking into it, the gunz work like this. The game has 3 "manufactures" that create weapons and sells them. Each manufacturer specializes in certain kinds of weapons. Lets say one company specializes in revolvers, sniper rifles, corrosive, and crossbows. Their is a "A.I." that shuffles these and sticks 1 to X on a gun and gives a weapon of that random configuration.

Example: Early on I would image this is limited to say 1. So you get stock revolver, stock sniper rifle, etc. Then you reach say level 8 and now the X is a 2, so weapons you get are sniper rifles with revolver drums (faster reload), crossbows that shoot corrosive bolts, etc. So each level you earn that unlock what and how many the A.I. can random shuffle together.

This allows the game to limit what you have access to and why they claim so many weapons are in the game. You got 3 companies, 5 specialties, 25 other gun attributes they share, each gun has 5 levels of general performance, and 3 levels of your personal alterations.

I am sure I have the system right, but my numbers are just examples. They are being kinda tight liped about exact features for now. Hell they have only confirmed like 3 vehicles.

18. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Borderlands is much more fun than Fallout.

Though i agree that without cellshading it would be alot better, c'mon cellshading is for Wii guys

19. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Come on man. Give them a little Artistic License. Nobody hated on L4D for the Old Timey Film Filter....if anyone every actually turned that on....if I even have the right game.

20. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    its not cell shaded.....

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  22. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Well your thread was about Lilith and her robot. This one seemed to be about the game in general. I just post where people are talking about stuff I want to talk about.

23. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    You act like this is a big deal? Happens all the time, it's forums, this threads been going strong for a while, I'm sure you have seen it before. The gaming news you show us is great, but you shouldn't be taking another thread personally because you had made one about it before.

Either way, can't wait to get this game, glad I seen Mk had a group of 2, really eager to try it out.

TheLaughingMan and MKmods say thanks.
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Slow down 1Kurgan1. You have a hardon for me lately. When you make a thread you should be sure it hasnt already been done. Or at least make an effort. Otherwise you'll have 50 big news threads about the same damn thing.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  25. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Not trying to be mean, just saying it happens, no biggie. I enjoy your news threads, I am simply too lazy to go looking for the news, so I defineatly appricate them, but just saying Mark makes some killer case mods, gotta let it slide :p

I do agree a search for a thread on the same subject is a good idea to clean everything up, but don't always happen :toast: Also didn't mean to come off that harsh right away, saying something to type conversion looses a lot, now that I go back and read it I can see where it could seem harsh.