1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bored...need something to do with my rig.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JATownes, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    OK, so I have a free couple of nights this week, and I have been playing some new games lately, but I really just want to play with my rig :wtf: (LOL that sounded pretty bad). I have clocked the hell out of it and it is cleaned spotless. Cable management has been done repeatedly until I am VERY happy with it and don't want to touch it. I have changed my LEDs to white, and modded the switch on my case to power my CCFL's. :cool: Basically, I AM BORED AND WANT TO DO SOMETHING TO MY RIG.

So...any suggestions? Something I haven't thought of? I have a metal shop doing a custom window in my side panel next week (flush tinted plexi), so I don't want to do that and screw up my beautiful side panel...PLEASE SUGGEST SOMETHING FUN TO MOD/PLAY WITH MY RIG. Any new tweaking/stability progs to play with? CPU/MEM/NB/VGA are all clocked to the max stability, so I need something new. Thus far I have always used HWMonitor for temps, OCCT for CPU stability, MSI Afterburner for VGA clocking, Furmark for VGA stability, Vantage for Benchies (P13740 :rockout: ), Memtest for Memory...any other suggestions?

I guess I have learned a rig really isn't that much of a hobby when it is done. :banghead:

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    When you get bored with the hardware, mess with the software. Tweak the system to make it faster. Takes lots of time, is confusing, frustrating, and when you get it to work you feel awesome. Get bored with software, break good hardware, buy new hardware.

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Find a girl to rate your rig :laugh:

4. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Elaborate...tweak such as OS?? I LOVE breaking hardware...but the warden (wife) isn't to fond of me doing it. :shadedshu

The warden REALLY wouldn't like that. :p

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get the warden to rate it for you then. Or better yet, have fun with her :D

6. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah basically I mod hardware on whim. Pretty much one afternoon I was like... "I hate this plastic grate on my Grados," 20 minutes later:

[​IMG]

Software, I program in VB to pass time, programs I actually use. Photoshop is one of my hobbies as well on the PC. I used to make sigs for people (alot). Lots still wear my sigs. I don't get requests much anymore, so I tend to stick to programing.

Want to get something to do? Look around for people who need help / are troubled by something. Help them.

Like I did here:
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=111026

Ion made a program in C++, it was ok, but not great. I improved it, rewrote all the code etc. Things like that eat time, and are helpful to one's self. I can program better now!

JATownes says thanks.
  7. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    LOL...She likes it...as a matter of fact she braided 3 of my fan cables for me, and it looks sweet. I will have to post some pics. I wish I could have fun with her, but she is taking our 5yo daughter out of town to see her mom...so I am going to be bored for 4 days, but it is better than seeing my mother in law. :D

8. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Those are SICK!!! I have some headphones laying around I could mod...

And your right. I haven't messed around with PS in a long time...good call on Photoshop... Thanks mate.

EDIT: DAMN, double posted. My bad.