1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bought new SSD, having odd problem

Discussion in 'Storage' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jul 27, 2012.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So my dad bought Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB ... last week and i installed it the other day. Now my dad has some really old hdd's in his system (his computer mirror's mine except for the hard drives and the video card) so I replaced a WD 80GB hdd with the SSD linked above. Now normally, windows should boot in about 15 seconds but it still takes 2 minutes to load. However, once it actually gets to the welcome screen, everything is screaming fast and opens instantly. He has a few games installed via steam on there and it loads much quicker than before.

Ive attached some before and after screenshots of his old hdd compared to the SSD.

The only other thing I can think of is a problem with the motherboard. Thoughts?

Old HDD:
    [​IMG]

New SSD:
    [​IMG]

2. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Did you do a fresh install of the OS? Or is it a clone of his old HDD?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Fresh install. It also has the latest firmware preinstalled.

4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Looks like you didn't set it to AHCI in the bios before installing windows. Also for the test, set it to 0 fill and see what happens.

5. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I did. It was set to it by default.

6. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Did you plug it into SATA III slot? Looks like its running at SATA II speeds from a SATA II slot

7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Its sata 3 yes i get the same results on mine as well. according to a rep at mushkin the 550 & 525 speeds are for really large file transfers and its tested using as Ssd or something like that i can't recall exactly atm.

8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    you sure its SATA III sounds like if you took an old WD 80GB out of it sounds like theres an old board in there too with SATA II.

9. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you use the gray SATA ports as those are your true SATAIII ports.

As for the benchmark, run ATTO or set CrystalDiskMark to 0 Fill to check for advertised speed.

10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    hes talking about his dads system, that im pretty sure does not have SATA III if it had an old 80GB WD drive on it prior

11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Yes I am sure. Its an 1155 board. Hence how i said in the OP that his system mirrors mine. Just because it had an 80GB hdd in there doesnt mean the system is ancient and doesnt have SATA 3. ;)

Its using the gray SATA port and ATTO is the one i couldnt think of earlier.

Like i said. My dads computer mirrors mine except for the hard drives and the video card and the hard drives he has have been the same hard drives he's had since he had a S939 system.

Fact of the matter is this: my dad and I have the same exact SSD and we get the same exact performance out of it. We have the same motherboard, RAM, CPU (except mine is the K version), SSD and Windows 7 Pro is installed on both our SSD's. It takes my computer ~15 seconds to load windows from the starting windows screen to loading everything and hitting the desktop. It takes my dad over 2 minutes on his SSD and it was even longer on his 80GB hdd. So something is wrong somewhere. His POST even takes a tad bit longer than mine.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  12. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    is the cable a sata 3?

13. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    doesn't matter, expect if he uses one of the very first SATA-1/SATA-150 cables those can give trouble. Newer cables shouldn't

14. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the BIOS/UEFI is set properly, mirroring yours, and that the drivers and BIOS/UEFI are up to date.

You could also try installing the drive into your system and see if it has the same boot time.

15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Im using the SATA cables that come included with the motherboard.

The hard drives/ssd drives are set up for ACHI and are set up for hot swapping. Unless im missing something else that I havent thought of? :confused:

I definately could do that but the sole reason why I havent is because even on the 80GB hdd, it basically did the same thing. But would take a LOT longer than 2 minutes to get past the "Starting Windows" screen.

16. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    bottom line: shitty SSD

17. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Riiiiight...cause if that was the case, id be having the same issue with mine and im not.

If you dont have anything constructive to say, dont bother posting at all. Your comment is absolutely useless.

18. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Theres a problem, but idk what it is. try running ATTO. Crystal disk is a shitty benchmark.

You installed all the mobo drivers too right because boot should not take that long unless your dad has all his programs set to start on bootup.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Ill run ATTO but once i actually get to the Windows Welcome screen, everything is super quick to load like it should be with an SSD. He has quite a few things that load up on Windows just because he can now since he has an SSD and it loads instantly. The only thing wrong is how long it takes to boot once it starts to load windows.

20. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah idk why boot takes so long, thats beyond me. I have a Vertex 2 90GB and boot is like 35 sec

21. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Here is the ATTO benchmark for my dad's drive.

[​IMG]

22. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    If you are getting the same performance from both systems once your are in windows, then...
    And, this just an opinion, he has different software/hardware loading in the beginning.
    Could be drivers, dlls, scheduled items, external devices, etc..

Use the "msconfig" utility and load both machines with a diagnostics startup.
    Or, use a fresh install (clean, nothing added) windows install on both machines.
    Make sure you have not tweaked either machines to get a fair comparison.

A couple of startup items, loading dlls, or services can really add time to a startup.
    So, unless they are exactly the same, it is comparing apples to oranges at startup.
    Especially, if you see the same performance after windows has started and stabilized.

CrAsHnBuRnXp and _ALB_R3D X say thanks.
  23. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    ATTO is showing the right numbers...I guess because uses larger files
    The drive seems OK but Win shouldn't take more than 10-15 sec to go to Desktop
    Tip1 : reset BIOS (does wonders)
    Tip2 : Enable TRIM (Should be enabled by default)
    Disable Prefetch
    Disable Superfetch
    Disable Indexing
    Disable Write Caching
    Disable System restore
    Disable Hibernate
    Disable Page file (only if you have a lot of RAM)
    Disable De-fragmentation

95Viper says thanks.
  24. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Oh jesus OCZ has brainwashed a few more people. Do not Disable Prefetch, superfetch, indexing, etc. Windows will configure everything once it detects an SSD. only thing you should really disable is defrag, system restore, and write caching. Indexing should also be turned on because turning it off actually makes the SSD work harder to fine programs and its actually slower that way, and reduces the life of the drive.

25. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I will try running msconfig with diagnostics and see what that result yields. as far as doing a fresh format it was doing the exact same thing its doing now when i installed windows. in fact it was giving me a helluva time at the very last step of the windows installation. took a good 45 minutes at that stage and i was installing windows from a flash drive to the ssd