1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked 6950 ( NO ADAPTOR FOUND ) help please !!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by xristo, Mar 20, 2012.

1. xristo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys :)

I bought a sapphire 6950 dirt 3 edition cheap in hope that i could fix it , but no matter what i do in atiflash it will give me ( NO ADAPTOR FOUND )

The card is not recognised in windows , not anywhere .. its like its physically not even there

The guy told me he ran a batch file and flicked the switch or something along those lines .. and now the card wont boot at all , though the fans are spinning and the card seems to be in working order .

It wont boot off either switch pos #1 or #2 , windows wont recognise the card only the pci one .

I have an old nvidia pci card im using at the moment so i can attempt to fix / reflash / hardmod the card and get it working .

I was reading around and came across this http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115240

Does the same thing apply to the 6950 ? can i jump the pins and succesfully reflash the card like he did ? Wizzard ..

i really dont care to screw this card up because it is anyway .. i will do whatever to fix it :twitch:

Any help would be greatly appreciated , i know the guys here know alot in comparison to other forums .

thankyou !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i solder a wire from pin 1 to pin 8 ? and atiflash should recognise the card then .. snip the wire and flash ? am i right ..

This is so frustrating , i have tried everything ! this is my last hope .
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    see your pm
  3. xristo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just found this when i opened up the card .. has it been tinkered with ? or is the chip blown or something .. Im pretty sure thats one of the bios chips

all of the 8 tabs are still physically connected to the chip still

[​IMG]
  4. xristo New Member

Thanks Received:
    theres 4 chips on the back side of the pcb , theres one just under the switch ?

[​IMG]
  5. xristo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone just told me the previous guy tried the gum mod , he either didnt do it succesfully or it didnt work .. im not sure ?

It doesnt look like he bridged pin 1-8 , more like 1-5 ..
  6. xristo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i tried to do a search for the chips , couldnt find them =( im not very good at this ..
  7. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    that's the bubblegum mod for sure!
    The pic has some shadows on it make sure that none of the pins are shorted togeather [check the back side too] if shorted you need to clean between the pins a very LIGHT scrape with a sharp razor knife works for me
    Yes that is the bios chip but again because that card has duel bios there should be another 1 on the card post the #'s of all the 8 pin chips & I'll find the data sheets for them
    After doing some reading on these cards it seems that the second bios is non-flashable & if the first bios is corrupted the switch won't work. So I would try to fix the #1 bios chip and see if that will let you see the card in dos

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Message Wizzard on this issue
  9. xristo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its ok guys im gettings a refund on the card , i appreciate your guys help ..

its amazing what you guys know , its rediculous .. in a good way ;)

I am going to try what frogger sais , scrape inbetween with a sharp knife and give it one last try ..

Ill let youse know if it works

I did get it cheap so it would be a bonus , but i think this card is dead .

R.I.P
  10. xristo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i used a blade inbetween the prongs to make sure they werent touching , did the best i could ..

Still no adaptor found =) its uselss , needs physical repair which im no good at .

Thanks anyway guys

I personally think hes soldered a new chip on before , and the heat has caused the solder to melt abit and its all screwed up .. There is definatly solder on there i was scraping it off so yea ...
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    What exactly will bridging those pins do? I mean what exactly is the purpose of such mod?
  12. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    The mod will possibly allow xristo to flash his 6950 that normally would be classed as a non-flashable card. Just it looks as if here, it's gone wrong.
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    THIS Ladies and gents is WHY you don't attempt to unlock a NON reference 6950
    the pin short option is pretty much your only option (assuming the attempted bios flash didn't cause permanent damage to the memio/core)
  14. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    It puts the BIOS chip into the manufactures sate of no Bios in it(Like it would when the card boots for the first Time.)It is like buying a new bios chip with no Bios in it.I seen guys try this mod on so called bad bios flashed motherboards,Shame is DFI had a neat tool that was to hit the market for this.DFI went belly before it hit ...:(

What highlighted is exactly what happened to it ,It is FUBAR my friend,Anyone of us here would never ever flip the switch from 1(flash able) to 2 (non flash able),You could try to short pins 1-8 on both chips and hope to god it boots.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    idk why people try this stuff, i know its cool but honestly if you dont arm yourself with the knowledge, data needed/programs, hardware, preparation for disaster/success. You definitly will fail.

Always and I mean Always research before flashing boards. I learned the hardway myself a long time ago on my Laptop.
  16. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    Just go and do that its for the best maybe you'll get a 7850 instead who knows.:toast:
  17. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    that's hitting on the head :toast: research research research
    @xristo:
    a refund best way to go after all you didn't flash the card in the first place :)
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012