1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked external HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MustSeeMelons, Sep 4, 2014.

1. MustSeeMelons

MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if it's even bricked, but the thing is my PC doesn't recognize it. When plugged in the HDD's LED keep blinking like it's being read, but nothing happens. When trying to go to disk management - it just hangs there until I unplug the HDD. I had a similar issue with the drive - when plugged in windows said it had to be formatted to be usable, did that and the drive worked for a while. Now i get this option just when I have unplugged the drive :|
    The drive is Hitachi I think - Touro. What tool could I try to bring it back to life?

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    If its going south you can't. You could try spinrite but likely its not going to fix it. You tried it in another PC right? . Or take it apart and use it internally might be possible

MustSeeMelons says thanks.
  3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's inside plastic, tear it out and plug it in using proper SATA cables, and boot with a LIVE boot CD like Parted Magic. You can then browse the file contents from there, possibly recover documents, or even reformat if that's what it needs. If you can't do that even, stick it in the freezer overnight and try again.

MustSeeMelons says thanks.
  4. MustSeeMelons

MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    Connected it with SATA cables - nothing. Tried Parted Magic - again nothing, seems I'll have to throw it away. Wont be putting it in the freezer though, wont be putting my data in such an unreliable device, damn you Hitachi.

5. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't trust external HDD's of any kind. One wrong drop = Death. Flash devices are a little more trustworthy. I recommend synced backup software like synctoy if you intend to back up data onto an external drive. Hands-off synchronising. Never leave the only copy on a droppable drive!

6. MustSeeMelons

MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    I had those files on the external drive, on my PC and in the cloud, so nothing is lost^^ Mostly just used it to move files between computers.