• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked sapphire 7850hd OC Edition

SebastianN

Hello! Last week I tried to flash sapphire bios to my graphic card but when I restarted screen was black.. I didn't backup my bios but luckily my brother had a same graphic card so I could save and take bios from it, I've made a dos bootable drive but my computer don't seem to even boot in motherboard's bios when my card is inside of my pc. usually I see that it has successfully booted into bios is that my keyboard lights flicker but I'm not sure it seems like time to time my hard drive is reading something, so how could I unbrick my graphic card, is it possible to blind flash stock bios or how could I get It to work?

And oh hmm I have 2008 HP biostar motherboard with integrated GPU

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Have you tried removing the card, booting in to the BIOS and changing to the iGPU?
You should then be able to put the card back in and reboot to attempt flashing it again.

SebastianN

Have you tried removing the card, booting in to the BIOS and changing to the iGPU?
You should then be able to put the card back in and reboot to attempt flashing it again.
When I boot my computer into bios with my old 4850hd I can't see onboard graphics, I can just see PCI/pcie I can only see that option when Im on my onboard GPU, last week I tried to boot up with onboard graphic but my computer didn't want to unless I took my graphic card out of system:(

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
clear CMOS , either the button, or remove the cmos battery?sgould reset the bios back to deault, but have the dGPU out when You do it.

System Name Homebrew
Processor Intel I5 4690k>Ryzen3900x
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5>Aorus Elite X570
Cooling CPU: (Prolimatek Megahelim 2+1 exhaust fan)>X72 Kraken, GPU: 570lx 240mm AIO w/kraken G10 + Ramsinks
Memory Kingston Hyper-X 2400 Savage 2 x 8Gb>16GB Corsair Vengence Pro M2Z(for Ryzen)>32GB PatriotViper 4400
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 HBM to 930Mhz from 800Mhz for Gaming & 850 for Gigapixel AI
Storage 850 evo 250Gb, 860 1TB, HGST HDN726040ALE640, WD10EACS 1Tb, WD20EARS 2Tb, WD80EMAZ, WD140EMFZ
Display(s) Benq GW2265>C24FG73 Samsung 144Hz
Case Antec P180>Lian-Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Gigabyte M6900> Razer Deathadder V2 (optical switches)
Keyboard Logitech G15 + Wolfking circular gaming KB
Software Windows 7 SP1>Windows 10 Pro N fully activated with gatherosstate.exe
Benchmark Scores http://www.doomiii.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/system-spec.html < Need a new host
I was in the same situation until 30min ago.

You have 2 options.

Use the old 4850 or use the integrated graphics. When Caring1 suggested removing the graphics card he didn't say plug in another 1. As I said there are 2 options so stick to one or the other.

I suggest removing all PCI-E graphics cards and clearing CMOS and then boot with the VGA/DVI cable connected to the motherboard's intergrated graphics port. This should prompt the PC to boot with integrated graphics. Then IGFX should be enabled, but the important part is to select IGFX (or whatever your motherboard calls the integrated graphics) as the default/primary display adapter. Once you do this you should be able to install the corrupt card and using the default command of ATIFLASH -F -P 0 BIOS.ROM.

The other way is to use the 4850 as the primary (plugged into the primary PCI-E slot with this slot selected as the primary display output), and then add the 7850 to the 2nd PCI-E slot. Then use ATIFLASH -I which should report the 7850 is on port 1. Then use ATIFLASH -P 1 BIOS.ROM, failing that ATIFLASH -F -P 1 BIOS.ROM.

The first method is simpler and doesn't risk flashing the wrong PCI-E slot!

EDIT: I'm wrong about this!:
Also there is nothing wrong with the sticky here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/#post-3293907

Just that he assumes every card has a dual bios. There are other guides on the internet talking about using a PCI card and setting the bios to boot from PCI rather than PCI-E, it just depends on the date it was written. However nowadays most CPU's have integrated graphics and no one has a PCI vga card.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Also there is nothing wrong with the sticky here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/#post-3293907

Just that he assumes every card has a dual bios. There are other guides on the internet talking about using a PCI card and setting the bios to boot from PCI rather than PCI-E, it just depends on the date it was written. However nowadays most CPU's have integrated graphics and no one has a PCI vga card.

UH-OH!! Someone didn't read all of the guide :(

Actually. I DO NOT assume everyone has a dual bios card :)

In Fact I have entire sections and instructions on how to handle BOTH onboard VGA and SECOND card flashes. Here are a few of the quotes. I even quoted the part where I ask the reader not to read too fast so they dont miss things :p

Jokes aside lets take this easy I know you're probably trying to skip most of this. Darting your eyes this way and that hoping an end to the dry humor is near so that you can hurriedly fix your GPU and put yourself in a worse position than you currently are. However I won't let that happen. One of the most important part of this section is the ability to have a few laughs and stay calm. Trying to rush will lead to RMA, permanent brick, system downtime, low bank account, and probably angry significant other. So lets do this slow and steady so that you have the best chances at saving the mistake. I cannot guarantee your card will work. I can however guarantee that if you follow this guide your best foot will be forward and you will have a better chance than you would otherwise. Lets start.

3.) If you do not have a BIOS switch remove the Affected GPU and boot using onboard video and in your BIOS set onboard Video as the default VGA adapter.

4.) If you do not have onboard VGA please reproduce step 3.) using any spare VGA card compatible with your system. Boot using the compatible VGA card and set it as default.

4b.) Shut down your system and re-insert the damaged GPU.

Start the system using secondary VGA and again using the flash guide above re-attempt to flash your GPU please take note to use

atiflash -i

happy flashing! remember read instructions! :toast:

System Name Homebrew
Processor Intel I5 4690k>Ryzen3900x
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5>Aorus Elite X570
Cooling CPU: (Prolimatek Megahelim 2+1 exhaust fan)>X72 Kraken, GPU: 570lx 240mm AIO w/kraken G10 + Ramsinks
Memory Kingston Hyper-X 2400 Savage 2 x 8Gb>16GB Corsair Vengence Pro M2Z(for Ryzen)>32GB PatriotViper 4400
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 HBM to 930Mhz from 800Mhz for Gaming & 850 for Gigapixel AI
Storage 850 evo 250Gb, 860 1TB, HGST HDN726040ALE640, WD10EACS 1Tb, WD20EARS 2Tb, WD80EMAZ, WD140EMFZ
Display(s) Benq GW2265>C24FG73 Samsung 144Hz
Case Antec P180>Lian-Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Gigabyte M6900> Razer Deathadder V2 (optical switches)
Keyboard Logitech G15 + Wolfking circular gaming KB
Software Windows 7 SP1>Windows 10 Pro N fully activated with gatherosstate.exe
Benchmark Scores http://www.doomiii.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/system-spec.html < Need a new host
My apologies, after fixing my GPU and going back to read your guide again I see I missed the important part. Moreover enabling the IGPU is not the same as setting the IGPU as the primary display adapter. You must have both these settings correct and the cable plugged into the corresponding port on the back of the PC or you will get a failed post. There is no prize for getting 2/3 correct.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
My apologies, after fixing my GPU and going back to read your guide again I see I missed the important part. Moreover enabling the IGPU is not the same as setting the IGPU as the primary display adapter. You must have both these settings correct and the cable plugged into the corresponding port on the back of the PC or you will get a failed post. There is no prize for getting 2/3 correct.

You are totally correct! I do remember some older motherboard I have owned having this peculiarity. (Most I have used since then automatically set the onboard as default if it was enabled after being previously disabled.) Added this note to the guide and cleared up some of the formatting so maybe it isnt so easy to miss for others next time.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I was in the same situation until 30min ago.

When Caring1 suggested removing the graphics card he didn't say plug in another 1.

My bad, I assumed people would have enough intelligence to work out that they wouldn't get a picture if the cable wasn't connected somewhere. :slap:

SebastianN

Thank you all I will try to reset my bios, I can't (yet) try to insert hd4850 and 7850 at the sametime because my mobo has just one pci-e but I ordered new mobo/CPU/ram etc, deluxe z97 (wlc/NFC) so I can try this one :) I want to flash my card because It would be nice to have voltages unlocked so I could get just a little more juice out of my GPU My pretty stable clocks are core 1200/memory 1340mhz :)