1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Brink:.

Discussion in 'Games' started by johnnyfiive, May 10, 2011.

1. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will think about getting this on Black Friday when if it's $5
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I bought it. If anyone wants to play, add me, PVTCaboose1337, Caboose on Steam. I'm in the TPU group.
  3. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always thought the Doom 3 was very well done, but it was never suited to outdoor environments until "Megatexture". Quake Wars supposedly pioneered it and since then its supposedly the best engine for outdoors now.
  4. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    I can safely say, you are screwed if you are running this with an ATI card, I got square tiles all over and the performance is all over the place.

On a good note the main menu looks very boss and runs well.
  5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    you should re-evaluate your definition of "safe"

my 5850 has no problem all max .... which is an issue as well ;)
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ok so it seems my performance has dropped with the ATI 11.5a Hotfix that was supposed to fix performance on Brink.

I went from 11.4>11.5>11.5a

It could be the map but I was getting 45 FPS now with 11.5a I'm getting FPS in the 20s...

Also I get 4-5 FPS when browsing for servers and every time I use the steam overlay my FPS goes from 60 at the main menu to 16FPS.

Game seems like it would be fun but until these issues are fixed I can't really enjoy it.
  7. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself

You know I meant the 4000 series.
  8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    lol how would i have known that? even if i had looked at your specs, a blanket statement
    like "you are screwed if you are running ATi" is pretty clear.

I 100% honestly had no idea you meant 4k series... idk why you'd expect me to.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Anyone with a 5870 what drivers do you have and what are you FPS.
  10. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Been playing it for like 3-4 hours right? Then talking to a friend I keep alt tabing to see some links. Brink freezes up and I have to end task it. BAD idea. If you alt F4 or Ctrl alt del end it, you will lose your guy.

You have been warned.
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    This game looks similar to Borderlands...
  12. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I was so close to pre-ordering this, but I think I'll wait a couple weeks\months\forever until Splash Damage has some time to release patches. I was really hoping this would be a good game, but I guess I'm still waiting on Rage and BF3.

As for the discussion of DX9 earlier, my issue is that DX10 was a complete rebuild, and DX11 was a good streamline. Games can get more bang for the buck if they use DX11 properly. For example, if you look at games like WoW and Civ5, DX11 offer a performance INCREASE for cards that support it. I also don't like that companies try and say they are using DX9 for any reason OTHER than that it is being developed for a Console. Nobody is fooled by that.
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I stopped pre-ordering games after i burned myself badly with horrifically bad Crysis 2. Never again.
  14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I think more and more games are just ruined on the PC with the existence of consoles.
  15. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    The games are ruined on the PC since already some good time ago. What we see now is the total b****it of what has become "the norm" . It's one dissapointment after another. I'm running my GTX275 OCed since almost two years and there is not one game to this day that can bring it to its knees at 16x10. This is just sad and all the excitement of new hardware and GPU is completely lost. I will receive a GTX570 SC next month but honestly I don't really need that power (DX11 is a plus but I don't see any spectacular improvement over DX10 and anyway most of the games are still DX9 ?!). The 570 will be prepared to handle BF3, maybe the only game that will truly be DX11 (after 2 years since it was launched with Win 7) and needs the appropriate power to run smoothly. Even PC exclusive games like Shogun 2 are released in DX9 and after 2 months they get a DX11 patch. What's happening?
  16. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I'd say a good PC game comes out once in every 4 years. Looking at Crysis back in 07 and hoping BF3 will live up to its hype on the PC to come up with that figure. Metro 2033 was a good game but it didn't really make good use of DX11 optimizations/enhancements imo.

Its not so much that I want games to lag on high end hardware. I just want games to make good use of the faster hardware, slightly more advanced technologies (DX11) and more RAM/Cores available on the PC.
  17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i understand the issue - and feel that way myself sometimes.

but lets all remember, we are talking about video games. they should be fun. if you
    spend more time upset over what they don't have, maybe it's not the best hobby?

i'm not saying we should let devs slack off and we should just accept it. but i am saying
    give credit where it is due. many people are expecting far too much from every dev, because
    a few do exceptional jobs. they simply aren't all that good, so i'm happy with what i get.

to say that games worth buying only come out every 4 years or so is false, imo. truly
    exceptional games, ok - but how often do truly exceptional movies or books come out?

I just think the expectations outweigh the reality.

of course there is money grubbing and over-pricing, but what form of entertainment
    DOESN'T have that?
    cadaveca says thanks.
  18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps I should have clarified good game. I meant graphically or that made use of the PC's hardware. Of course good is subjective and to some people any and every game that has come out has been good. Personally since crysis came out I've been wanting an RPG like Oblivion with the visual goodness of Cryengine 2. Now that Skyrim has been announced I eagerly await its arrival.

Most of my rage is left over from Crysis 2's failure of a launch. Also it aggravates me to see games like COD raking in the doe by charging $60 each year for a bran new title that simply added new maps/weapons and a kind of new story line. If activision had developed TF2 for example we'd be on TF9 already.

I almost forgot this thread was for Brink. So I'm gonna stop this useless ranting unless further discussion is allowed.
  19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    lol , i agree with everything you said.

i guess i just don't get down about the industry because of it. it goes up and down,
    and i just bide my time...
    AphexDreamer says thanks.
  20. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    this game has one of the most absurd memory leaks i've ever seen. it seems to start right when you alt-tab and it will magically decide to free it when you go back in game.

sup 500mb to 3gb in like minutes.
    [​IMG]

it's a technical clusterfuck but fun when you get in a good server.
  21. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol'd

Yeah. I honestly don't know how I feel about Battlefield 3. I bought BC2 Vietnam a little while ago and I've been loving it. I don't think I'll ever enjoy "modern combat" after what Call of Duty did to the entire idea of it.

Breathe guys.. there are still some good games... right haha?
  22. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Forget Brink and save your cash for BF3!
    TRIPTEX_CAN says thanks.
  23. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Got some friends that grabbed this for PC, so far all of them say it's fun and runs well enough, but the Single Player is absolutely terrible. Might wait for it to go on Sale and grab it if that's the case...
  24. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    just got it this morning for 360, I rarely buy new games now and I'm planning to take it back and trade if for LA Noire as soon as it comes out, don't buy it new if you want to buy it and keep it right now, its not worth it for its price.
  25. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    this game is fucking awesome if you have a good team and are playing good people. everyone was buffing everyone, flanking and pushing as a team. shit was ridiculous.

when people don't play like idiots then it's a ton of fun.
    digibucc says thanks.