1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Broken component on my x800, help please.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ivaj, Feb 16, 2006.

1. ivaj New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a (MOSFET) transistor.
    You could repair it but you MUST be careful with the temperature, transistors can be fried easily.

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    ...how did you DO that? anyways, I dont know about a transistor repair, the most advanced thing I ever did with my video card was rewire a 2-pin connector (a lesson in why it pays to be patient) while reinstalling my VGA silencer using wirestrippers and tape, I GUESS it counts as a mod lol. I suppose that the best tip I can give you is to push very carefully, or figure out how to RMA the video card :p

4. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. mmx New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    u can repair broken circuit boards with soldering fine wire to the broken tracks or carefully running solder along with very fine tipped iron.. epoxy glue can be use to give structural strenght.. getting the old component out and finding a suitable replacement is the hardest bit..

trog

7. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem could be (and usually it is) more complex. Hope that the diode is the only damaged part. If it is you should be able to repaire.
    I wander how you get in to that situation :confused: .

It is interesting because two years ago I have shorted the fan power supply on my 9800XT and it dies (or I believed that it is dead). One track was burned in the PCB and it was visible by the small bubble (swelling) near to the missing VIVO chip. It was the 12V power supply from the motherboard (I discovered it few months later) and after cutting of the blob I saw the burned band two layers deep in the PCB. First solder additional - external cable to see whether it will work. (Later on I have fix it permanently by soldering of the burned band in the PCB and filled with lacquer) I have recovered my 9800XT considered for dead.

8. ivaj New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will try to explain, excuse me if I write wrong words, but I speak a bit english.
    Dissaster was made when 12 volts wire from power suply landed on board, It was a little explossion and power suply died . Later I find this component with black colour around It, and then I made tests with multimeter and It had not conductivity, but today I have been doing some conductivity tests, and it's all right!! diode only leads current In one way, I think it is correct. Miracle?
    I try to explain the problen is not from board, It was caused by an external nude wire (cable) fron power suply.
    Dolf you have reason about board tracks, if a track die, perhaps Is there another internal track died, and is invisible to us, because boards are multi layer.
    Thank you for all.