1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Broken Fan Speed Switch. Is My Fix OK? Is There a Fire Hazard?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by BloodTotal, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    So about 2 years ago, I ripped the front bay out of the case, and with that the controller ripped off one of the bottom fans. So the fan is working, but it needs that switch. So there wer three wires. Connecting wire 1 + wire 2 would get me low speed, wire 2+3 = med speed, and 1+3 = high speed. So I connected wires 1+3 together, and taped them with electrical tape from the dollar store (black tape). The other two wires are just out in the open, but not touching anything.

My case has built up a lot of dust, and I have a couple of concerns.

1. Will the dust on the exposed wires ignite?
    2. Will the cheap dollar store electrical tape ignite?

I think I also ripped out one of the wires from this thing: [​IMG]
    , and it's working now, I got it working, but just stuffing the wire in there.

Is that also safe? Or is it dangerous?

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    First rule of electronics ghetto modding, don't leave open wires exposed when done with the job. Either a discharge into the case or a floating ground is not something you want to accidentally make contact and mini arc weld spots in your case.

I doubt the dust will ignite, the cheap tape wont either, just cover all the wires.

BloodTotal says thanks.
  3. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    would you recommend that I just cover it with tape? Or should I ground it into the case?

4. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    just tape it dont ground to the case thats a sure fire way to burn something
    heres how to securely tape wires
    this is gonna be hard to explain without showing but here goes

first tape the end of the wire so its sealed
    then bend the wire back onto its self and wrap it in tape about a 1/2 inch down so you have a upside down U with tape around the strait parts
    then take a short length of tape and and holding it so the U shape you just made is Orinated so that the 'wide side is toward you tape the bottom(the curve) of the "U" closed then finally wrap the sides so its all sealed

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    BloodTotal says thanks.
  5. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to both of you!

I've looked into it a bit more myself and I found that grounding it to the case is a bad idea.

I snipped the wires so there is minimal exposed wire. And I covered them with electrical tape.