1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Broken screen or dying GPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ViZioN207, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ViZioN207

ViZioN207

Thanks Received:
    My mother carries her laptop around bag and who knows what she lays on top of it or what she hits with it. What do you guys think it is?

[​IMG]
  2. SKBARON

SKBARON

Thanks Received:
    Might be the screen cable, might be the screen, might be the gpu, can you try plugging a monitor or a TV into the laptop? That way you could see for sure what's the problem :)
    ViZioN207 says thanks.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I have a machine that did that in the BIOS and froze when one of the sticks of ram were bad but was just good enough to boot. Too much weight on top of the display would have cracked the screen, it wouldn't do this. I would check the LVDS cabling for the display and if there is two sticks of memory I would boot with one of each just to rule memory out.
    ViZioN207 says thanks.
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Screen or the cable. This happened all the time when my high school gave my 9th grade class laptops to take home and everywhere back in 2005, and of course half the laptops were broken during that year, the company that insured them for $25 each was a sham and stopped backing them, and that program was discontinued after the school year lol.
    ViZioN207 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Im guessing the GPU. If it was the cable then it would most likely change when you open and close the lid. But connect it to another monitor. Hopefully its under warranty
    ViZioN207 says thanks.
  6. ViZioN207

ViZioN207

Thanks Received:
    This is her work laptop that isn't used too often except for some simple things, but she already went and sent it back to have them replace it so I wasn't able to test what was really wrong with it.

Thanks for all the replies though.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013