1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Browsing eBay, saw a keeper!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tastegw, Jan 14, 2013.

1. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
  2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    that's pretty sweet... a good chunk of that price is probably just for the case... that kinda paint job isn't cheap.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    According to the seller, the case is worth around $500 bucks alone. That means your paying $1500 bucks for an old i7 920 system with a couple GTX 260's in Sli. Shipping isn't included. :laugh:
    Easy Rhino, de.das.dude and yogurt_21 say thanks.
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah i gotta say that thing is old and worth nowhere near 2k, entertainment purposes is right ;)
  5. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    I figured that hardware combined is worth 400-500 tops, installation is worth negative $100 for that craptastic wire management, and the case is awful looking IMO. Newegg was selling gtx 280s for 77 bucks yesterday, those 260's worth maybe 50 bucks each.

Some poor sucker is going to bite I'm afraid.
  6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    seller is a n00b
  7. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a rat's nest on the inside.. He's looking for a sucker...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Make him an offer for a 1$ and reference him to this thread on the comments
    ...PACMAN... says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
  10. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    What's that show where they auction off storage lock ups?

That's what this guys found in one. Really, someone should query this on trade description.

Those gfx cards are nowhere near top of the line. 3 generations old (are they the 216 shader models?) and not even 280's. Imagine some poor dude buying that for 2k and then trying to play FC3 or BF3 on a 1440p display? Oooh. Bad Karma for that seller. :shadedshu
  11. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Ebay is a group of MOSTLY ripoff artists who think if they Post @ a rediculous price, they MIGHT get it.I actually found an HD6950 for $800!!!!,,I think they are Still there, see for yourself.
    As far as that PC,,it's cool LOOKING, but as was said B-4, it's getting older. My room-mate is an Automotive painter, and He'll Do almost anything for really reasonable cost,,,He has his own Shop, and he said that The prices to paint PC's is WAY TOO high....it shouldn't take TOO long, (at least for an experienced painter), and the materials aren't that much,,Your better off doing it yourself.IMO.I watched him Do a Antec Lan-Boy, from Scratch, He dis-assembled it, Custom painted it, and Re-assembled it, All in about an Hour, and a half(Not including Dry time of course)......materials were around $80.....And No-Ones time is Worth $500 for an Hour and a half.(at least No painter's). And my buddy is NO artist either,,most of it is prep , e.g. masking, and "sculpting" the metal.if you Change the Shape that is.The tools is the Hardest part.
  12. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Any pics of that Antec Lan boy?

Curious as to how you paint a case made of holes :wtf:

[​IMG]
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
  14. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the system overheated and the case started melting..
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  15. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately you have to Drill out the rivet's, and then dissassmble it,,It was difficult, But Not the Worst thing to Do. Pic's NO,,It wasn't Mine,, it was his,,,But I assure you I am NOT a liar.Also , He added Some Sheet metal to the Front Left side if Your lookinh @ it from the Front. Because he Bought a Custom Water kit For GPU/CPU, and decided to mount the Radiator in That particular Side. It ended up looking VERY good,,he went with a Gray/Silver sort of color, and he also Cut out Some other Holes for Additional 120mm Case fans. On a side Note,,that Lan-Boy case Has WAY TOO many part's for what is Technically a Mid Tower.But in the end, it only took around 1&1/2 hours to Actually Mod/paint, and dis/re-assemble,(minus dry time). And he got it off Craigslist from a Guy @ U-mass Amherst, So he only paid like $50 for it. Which is Why he painted it in the First place, Since it was kinda Worn a Bit.:ohwell:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    the54thvoid says thanks.
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i have a really hard time finding deals on ebay. sales like these don't help...
  17. REAYTH

REAYTH

Thanks Received:

I could do that paint job with an old toothbrush and a diluted bottle of white out.
  18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I buy stuff from ebay all the time: capacitors, electronic components, covers/miscellaneous accesories for my phone.. For that sort of thing it's quite good.

But is it just me, or is there inflation in used hardware? And I'm not talking Apple or rare stuff, I'm talking common hardware. I've been hunting for a decent used GPU for a long time, but almost without exception they have all been around 70-90% of the price when they were new. Until I bought my 550Ti from a new seller for €55 it was almost no point in looking for used GPU's when I could have a new card with more performance for like €10 more. And this is the auctiouns ending prices, not beginning prices (on Tradera, swedish Ebay kinda).

Good for you.