1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD during screen saver

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pentastar111, Feb 14, 2009.

1. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    This just started today. Started my pc. Boots normally, I log in. I'm at desktop. It goes to "starfield" when idle for more than 10 min. All normal. Except when in "starfield" for more than 10 min. Then it blue screens and I get this message about some thread critical for norma operation is missing. And that some piece of hardware might be malfunctioning???..:eek:.Very weird, considering IF I'm gaming on that very same PC I experience NONE of that nonsense. Been gaming on it for about an hour now...Funny how this just started happening after a windows update. Any ideas?:confused:

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I *think* starfield uses OpenGL, where most games are Direct3D. Could be a driver problem, so try running an OpenGL benchmark, like FurMark found here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Benchmarking/

There are other possibilities, like power saving - I didn't take a deep look at your system specs, but some hardware/dirver combos are flaky. In the desktop properties, goto screensaver, power button and check which ones are set to 10 or 20 min.

3. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    That is very strange. My guess would be that the drivers got messed up. Uninstall the drivers and reinstall them.

4. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    Tried uninstalling and re-installing drivers and the problem is still persisting. Went to boot screen and has stopped with this message

Nvidia BOOT AGENT 249.0542
    copyright yadayada
    copyright yadayada
    PXE-61:media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF:exiting boot agent
    PXE-E53 No boot file name recieved

Hard reboot goes to windows start up screen. the one with the strobing blue bubbles and then go to the black screen with text and asks me if i want to boot in safe mode etc.....then I log in and go to desk-top....process repeats if the machine is idle for more than 20 min. I sense yet ANOTHER install of windows in my unlucky future. Again if I'm using the machine, whether it be gaming or wbsurfing, no problems, damn thing refuses to idle anymore.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  5. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    bump

6. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Screen savers screw up everthing....My advice is to turn off screen savers!! :pimp:

7. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    did a s.m.a.r.t. check on the hardrive and came up with red x checked on the
    B8 <vendor-specific> it say "Advisory: usage or age limit exceeded" ? What in the world is that?

8. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    hmmm........

9. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    Turned out the "new" 640GB hdd was bad. Found that out after it failed the s.ma.r.t. test, put the older 320GB drive in. Everything works fine...Still aggrevated though. The new drive is less than 4 months old. :(