1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD every time I shut my monitor or unplug the DVI cable...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, May 12, 2012.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea why, but my computer BSODs and crashes every time I shut the monitor off or unplug the cable. I tried reinstalling drivers and reinstalling Windows. Reinstalling Windows helped, but I think it screwed up again after I finished installing all the basic apps (Java, Flash, etc) and did all the Windows updates. I'd hate to think it was the updates because I seem to be the only one having this problem.

Anybody have any ideas?

2. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    tried another DVI cable?

3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I currently do not have a spare DVI cable, but I did try only connecting via a VGA cable and the problem disappeared.

I also uninstalled all the drivers via control panel, then DriverSweeper in safe mode, and the problem disappeared until I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers.

Basic Windows 7 drivers appear to cause the same problem.

I would stick with the VGA solution, but images seem less sharp regardless of auto-configuring via the monitor's OSD.

Edit: Simply plugging in the DVI cable causes the computer to BSOD, even when it's currently displaying via VGA. It doesn't matter which end of the system it's plugged into, the monitor or the tower, both will cause a BSOD.

I'll try and locate a spare DVI cable.

4. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    This may not be much but, the only time I ever had this problem was when I tried updating catalyst drivers on my old laptop. It would successfully install, restart and run, but every time it came to shutting down, the laptop would blue screen.