1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD for Geforce 8400gs

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Moopuppy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure it's an Intel Chipset and Dell told me that this computer is PCIe 2.0 Compliant

2. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    There you go

Attached Files:

3. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    try resenting the card > install the latest drivers for everything motherboard,sound,networking,
    and then reinstall the graphics drivers, if that does not work then send the card back for replacement

4. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I will try the new beta driver it's the only one I havent yet. and resetting the card. Though I have the latest drivers for everything else.

5. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    As for the replacement I've sent it back already once thinking it was broken.. same problem. perhaps my pcie slot is burnt out?

6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    is your pc's clock set correctly ?
    pcie slots DO break but one thats never been used should be ok ... try cleaning it

7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    stupid question I should NOT need to ask but is SP2 installed make sure EVERYTHING on the pc is updated to the latest version

8. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep very first thing I checked time/date and windows updates. plus went to dell website for further updates. Thought I'm guessing if my PCIe slot went out it wouldnt even let me use the monitor on the card without the drivers installed

9. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    if the PCiE slot was damaged odd's are you would not have any video

10. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the problem only arises WHEN the Nvidia drivers are actually on, I can use the card as a standard VGA device.. wouldn't that be software related then?

11. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    without the drivers the card falls back to lower clocks and a bunch of the internal stuff is disabled this insure that should some part of the gpu core or gpu ram be damaged it will still display a picture and allow you to boot
    but the only way to be sure would be a format and clean reinstall since we can't work on you're machine and debug the problem our selves

Moopuppy says thanks.
  12. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the BSOD dump file doesn't list any problems doesn't that point to hardware though? I dont have anyway to get a vista install disc, so anything I can do without wiping the system would be preffered.

A little more information I got from "WhoCrashed"

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  13. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Moopuppy and Iceni say thanks.
  14. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    I've just read the service manual for the Insperon 530 series. They all have a PCIe 16x and the smaller PCIe 1x slots. There is no physical way it can be in the incorrect slot as these motherboards only have 1 slot it can go in. The revision of the slot 1.0a 1.1 2.0 should have no impact, as all cards are supposed to be interchangeable across revisions both forward and backwards compatible. This may cause a problem But it's something i would test after a format and after you have tested the card in another machine. If this does turn out to be the problem contact EVGA and tell them. They should replace your card to a model that can be supported since the box will state Pcie 1.0a compatibility.

I'm still thinking it's software related and a full format will clean it up. If your struggling to get closure find someone you know with a PC, take the card over and test the card. I bet the card runs 100%.

That means it is something incorrect with either your hardware, or software. Since software is the easiest thing to replace in most cases it's the first thing to get put back to stock. In your case the software was never stock to begin with due to dell and there love of messing with windows installs. I'm still in favour of the full format to default windows settings and working from there.

The other option is to ask about at college/work/friends and see if someone has an old graphics card kicking about that you can borrow to test your machine with. If you have already found someone to test your graphics card in their machine, chances are they will have to take out, and you can test that card in your machine. Killing 2 birds with one stone.

EDIT.

Law you may be onto something.

from the 8 series wiki.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    Moopuppy says thanks.
  15. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    some of the geforce 8 cards require pcie 1.1 Signaling to work correctly hence breaking backwards compatibly rare for such issues to have any effect but sometimes it simply does not work

Moopuppy says thanks.
  16. Moopuppy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh, well I just decided I'll get a different one. A Lenovo Ideacentre became available to me if I trade away this Dell. i figured that's a better deal considering the Ideacentre is double the processor speed and could support higher upgrades :p. Thank you all so much for trying to help me

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    smart move, the 8400gs was a lowly card, pretty much what you get for a MX series...

OneMoar says thanks.
  18. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    GS stands for "Generally SHIT"