1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD while benchmarking CPU

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by jacob90, Sep 5, 2011.

1. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    I am not talking about vram, but VRM, voltage regulation modules on the GPU. AS a said, if the computer restarts with the cpu at stock, and the GPU overclocked with voltage at 1.087v, than the VRM is overheating.
  2. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ohhh. so what can i do ?

how to prevent this phenomenon????

it seems that at 1025v, the computer doesnt restart during test.

but at 1062v and above it does.
  3. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    You have to cool the vrm area, but that will be difficult. You would have to research for a cooler for the type of the card you have. Untill you find one i would recommend not going above 1.025v, as you could damage the card.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Jacob, let me just say this. From what I have seen in two days, you have way too many irons in the fire at once to do you any good. You need to set one iron at a time on the fire at this point.

Change only one thing at a time. So far I have seen you ask for, as in this thread the reason for a BSOD. I will guarandamntee, you video card has nothing to do with it. And if your CPU isnt stable, why are we messing with the GPU anyways?

Try as I say to move one thing at a time and you will see how much easier life becomes. As you are trying one thing at a time, all others should remain stock at that time to eliminate variables that lead to threads like this that end up solving nothing.;)
    Cold Storm and INSTG8R say thanks.
  5. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sneeky: thanks :).

but what heky has said is very likely the problem.

heky: what is this phenomenon?

how VRM area can overheat?

why i am the victim????
  6. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what any seasoned overclocker would do. It's only the novices looking for immediate gratification who do NOT take this route. He will learn, or he'll just get tired of trying.

go back and read Sneeky's post, then my reply. Get your CPU stable first, then move on to your GPU. You'll be amazed at how much easier troubleshootining is when you follow this method.
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    VRMS regulate your voltages and they need to be kept as cool as possible to keep voltages stable. This applies both to graphic cards and motherboards.

There are no victims, only Novices and/or their low budget.

we can help you with both those here, but you have to be willing to learn
  8. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    FreedomEclipse: but how can it be cooled?

what measures people who overclock take so that VRM is kept cooled???
  9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Better cooling.

aftermarket coolers and cases with better airflow - keeps everything inside the case cool
  10. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    @sneekypeet and @Paulieg

What are you 2 ranting about. I told him to put the cpu at stock, and try if the computer still reboots with the graphics card overvolted and overclocked. It is obvious the CPU has nothing to do with rebooting, since it is on stock! and the computer still rebooted. That is becouse of GPU VRM overheating, or unstable GPU clock, period! This is a well known problem, people killing their GTX460s becouse of overvoltage.
  11. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    and a 0124 error isn't related to a GPU, so what are you on about?

My point is no matter what your angle of attack is now, the thread was made to resolve one issue, now we are working this from a CPU/IMC related issue to a GPU issue. If things are kept separate and we take it all one step at a time, we don't have to go from 0124 error to GPU overvolting issues. This is why I said put one iron in the fire, so we don't end up with a GPU error while he is asking to fix his GPU.

Also on neither of my 460's with a serious overclock and full voltage do my VRMs get hot enough to do squat. So I guess now I get to turn the table, what are you ranting about?

If you would like to continue this line of topic my PM box is always open, but here is not the place to rant;)
  12. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    No, a 124 error is vcore related, we already established that. It never was a IMC issue, since the ram is not overclocked at all and is runnung at 1333. No need to even touch IMC volts for that.

Really, then please inform me why Afterburner software lowered the maximum posible voltage settings? If your cards dont have problems, that doesnt mean no GTX460 does. Your card probably has a heatsink in the VRM area, jacobs probably doesnt. So much for that.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100504/tutorial-graphics-cards-voltage-regulator-modules-vrm-explained/

..."Recent cards like Radeon HD 5000 series come with an advanced OCP management (the GPU is throttled back to reduce the current the VRMs have to deliver) but on other cards, an over-current may lead to a system reboot or even kill the card…."

Meant no disrespect.:toast:

@jacob90
    Can you post a link to the exact model of the card you have?
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  13. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    dude you seriously need to know a LOT more about overclocking.

and try to be more patient. if overclocking was that easy everyone would be doing it.

remember haste makes waste!
  14. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, 124 IS VCORE sure because I wanted to undervolt mine and I got a uncorrectable hardware error BSOD with 124 code.
  15. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    your the one to talk:laugh: someone that don't care to fry oc components
  16. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    whats the case
  18. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Carduroy: dont post in here if u dont want to be helpful.
  19. Corduroy_Jr

Corduroy_Jr New Member

Thanks Received:
    what why did i ask what case that's not being helpful?
  20. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    because i am the victim of VRM overheating. this is the case.

but why me? why not others?

how the fan cant protect the VRM from overheating.
  21. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    aftermarket cooler? Fans pointed at it?
    We haven't even established what temp they are, so I still don't know why we even assume this is an issue worth hassling over. It seems everyone else knows best, like that a 0124 error is Vcore related, only if its too low, typically it is in fact IMC related.

Since you don't want to listen, and everyone likes to get you going in 5 directions at once I am stepping out as not to confuse all of this silliness. Have fun with your venture.
    Cold Storm says thanks.
  22. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Jacob he was asking the PC case as in chassis. Again x124 is CPU, could be vcore but most likely IMC.

EDIT:

^^Peet beat me to it while i was reading the thread.
  23. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    JrRacinFan: it was vcore i believe. i increased the vcore to 1.295 and i didnt get a restart during the test.

but its not about CPU now. its about GPU now i think. because if i increase the gpu voltage to 1062v or 1087v, i get a restart during the benchmark regardless of the gpu memory being at 1800mhz or 2000mhz.

but when i set the gpu voltage to 1025 at 850mhz core, and even when i increase the memory speed to 2000mhz from 1800mhz, i dont get any restarts. I did a few tests of 15 loops in Far Cry 2 tool and also played 2 hours of Call of Juarez : The cartel last night at 4.2ghz cpu, 850mhz core, 2000mhz memory at 1025v, and everything was stable.

so heky might be right. there must be something up with the VRM?????

or maybe i get a huge power increase when i increase the gpu voltage to 1062v and my PSU cant cope with it?
  24. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Possible VRM's are getting a little too warm, have a fan blow over them and see if it still occurs. Also can you get a rail layout for me. Must know if your power supply has both the 6 pin PCIe connections on 1 rail or 1 to each rail.

If it's both to 1 rail that MIGHT be the problem. Altho! The gains from 850+ on core are minimal, 5% max "??"
  25. jacob90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    JrRacinFan: where is VRM on the card?

also, for the record, my PSU is Silverstone Strider 560w.

can u search and find out its specs please?????

also, im getting Dead Island tomorrow, so i will let u know how is that game :).