1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSODeath.... What cause and how to fix??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 2TwOs, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 2TwOs

2TwOs

Thanks Received:
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

CHECK FOR VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER. REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVES OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS. CHECK YOUR HARD DRIVE TO MAKES SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURED AND TERMINATED. RUN CHKDISK /F TO CHECK FOR HARDDRIVE CORRUPTION, AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.

other info:
    Windows 7 SP1
    I just played DVD Prison break,i shutdown and when i return and power on this shows BSOD.
    done everything,still unable to boot..

Need help!!

If i reformat does it solve the problem??
    Does Optical drives need to be updated??

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    could be from os, it may from virus or corrupt os or from harddisk
    but i think its from OS

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the code of the bsod if you can capture it and post it should start with a 0x

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Start > Run > type: eventvwr

ENTER

Then go to Windows Logs > System

Scroll down to the approximate time of your last BSOD. Find a RED error, double click it...you should have an EVENT ID and an error ID, usually 0x0000001a or similar (that was just an example...there are different codes).

Some other things to run:

Start > Run > CMD

CHKDSK

If have errors (or not...just to be sure...)

CHKDSK /F (will need to restart to run)

If clean, run:

SFC /scannow

(you may need to right click CMD and run as admin to do the SFC command). It is System File Checker, will help you find out if your OS has any corruptions. I would also do hardware tests...I recommend OCCT (run CPU Linpack for 1-3 hours, then PSU test for 1-6 hours for stability testing), Memtest86 bootable USB/CD(run 2 full passes on your RAM to verify integrity), and Crystal Disk Info or Speccy to verify HDD, SMART info, system info (if using Speccy). A lot of BSOD's can come from many different things. Have you made any changes recently to your PC? Anything else happen like power outages? There was a recent Windows update that was traced to causing BSOD's, I forget what it was...but last I checked they had released a fix for it. Make sure your OS and drivers are up-to-date. Etc.

5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    OP: Try BlueScreenview- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

this will tell you 95% of the time in plain language what caused your last crash/bluescreen.

EDIT: just noticed you cant log in anymore, so it wont help you. If you do eventually log into windows, give it a try.

6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    was the game pirated? then its most likely a virus.

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    If you have access to another PC that you can login to, download Hiren's BootCD and burn the ISO to a CD-R. You might be able to do some repairs to get you back into the OS in order to do what I suggested above...I missed the part where you couldn't login as well.

You could try running boot repair from your original install media. You might be able to restore to a day or two ago prior to having this issue.