• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BST forum rule clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
A couple of days ago, I ran across a thread in BST that did not have inline pictures of the items the person had for sale. However, he had a 3rd party link (imgur) to the pictures which met all of TPU's defined requirements. Per the rules, a moderator had stepped in and requested he post pictures of the them items or the thread would be closed.

I looked at the rules and found there was, at least to me, some ambiguity on what is actually needed versus what is requested in the rules. Here are the applicable rules as they stand now:

You MUST have a picture of the item posted (no links) WITH your name HAND WRITTEN on a piece of paper at the time you post it for sale. NO EXCEPTIONS! No posts stating "pics up in a minute" or any such nonsense. Your thread will be deleted immediately without explanation if you do this. It is not necessary for additional pictures of the same item, like pictures taken from a different angle to have the sellers username handwritten on a piece of paper.
and
Post a picture of the physical item (not a link) you are selling/trading, along with your techPowerUp! forums account name handwritten (Not typed or printed!) on a piece of paper in the background. This is to validate that there is an item being sold and that you are the seller. -Have your pictures ready before you post your thread! No pics, don't post or your thread will be deleted.

My question/concern, between these two similarly written rules are this...

When I read both of these rules, it states that you need a picture of the actual (note the word PHYSCIAL in the second rule) item that contains a hand written note with your name on it when you post for the sale. Both rules, to me, do not state, nor allude to the fact that you cannot have a 3rd party link to those pictures that follow the rules. In the imgur link, there is a picture of the "Physical" item. The parenthetic 'not a link', to me, meant do not link the item from say newegg or something like that. The statement following that sentence (
This is to validate that there is an item being sold and that you are the seller. )
doesn't allude/infer that 3rd party links to pictures of the physical items is not allowed. In fact, it only supports what is in the required picture.

I can go either way on this as a requirement, honestly. A 3rd party link to imgur, is a simple click away. This also brings up the point about spoilers which are ok to use in BST threads. Technically, you have to do the same thing to see the pictures hidden in spoilers, click once to view. With that said, why are spoilers ok when it is the same level of effort to view the pics as dropping a third party link? I am thinking that perhaps these rules should be written to say more clearly what they INTEND.

Essentially, what TPU is actually requesting, according to the moderator's actions in the thread(s), is they want pictures INLINE within the thread and the picture must contain handwritten note...etc. No links from 3rd party are allowed.

A rewrite would be something along these lines...

Post a picture of the physical item (NOT a link to the product page)
inline (not a 3rd party link..i.e imgur) you are selling/trading, along with your techPowerUp! forums account name handwritten (Not typed or printed!) on a piece of paper in the background. This is to validate that there is an item being sold and that you are the seller. -Have your pictures ready before you post your thread! No pics, don't post or your thread will be deleted.

I think with the terms "not a link to the product page", "inline", and, "not a 3rd party link...i.e..imgur) would clarify these rules significantly.

While I am aware it isn't a big deal, I think those simple changes would bring more clarity to what you actually want to see here, and could take a small load off the BST moderators having to do police an ambiguous rule.

Thanks for looking. :)

EDIT: Perhaps I am off my rocker in thinking the rule isn't clear... please feel free to say so, or support a change for clarity!

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I think you might be kinda worried over nothing, to be honest.

It does say basically, "no links" quickly followed by "NO EXCEPTIONS!"

The exclamation mark plus all caps should make it clear enough to anyone reading, methinks.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
use your 3rd party picture host and embed the image into the bst post

If its embedded it follows the rules

That is entirely possible RTB... but, the subsequent statement after supports the first two sentences. Its there if you read between the lines, but, why read between the lines is my take? Since NO exceptions is following the actual handwritten note, etc, that is supporting THAT, NOT the fact that it you need an INLINE image. Nowhere does it state or allude to INLINE image being required. It is only inferred due to how the rule is written.

use your 3rd party picture host and embed the image into the bst post

If its embedded it follows the rules
Indeed that can be done, but that isn't the point. Its the ambiguity of the rules as written.

dorsetknob

there is no ambiguity of the rules you may be attempting to interpret them in your favour

If i vist the BST forum post i expect to see pictures not links to pictures

I saw the forum post you are complaining about
it had a link and not pictures

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
That is entirely possible RTB... but, the subsequent statement after supports the first two sentences. Its there if you read between the lines, but, why read between the lines is my take?

Indeed that can be done, but that isn't the point. Its the ambiguity of the rules as written.

Don't get me wrong, you have suggested positive changes. I'm more arguing that anyone who reads the rules would probably understand them as they are. But you know what they say about making things idiot-proof, it's a losing battle so any suggestions regarding clarity are probably good.

dorsetknob

example embedded image (3rd party host )
yes its my bottle and it taste nice

Damn, those don't auto resize? At least posting it inline/through the forums you can choose thumbnail (which you can for most 3rd party hosts, yes?)

dorsetknob

yes there is thumbnails available ( but that bottle deserves full size :) )

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
Clicking a spoiler doesn't take you to a third party site, clicking an imgur link takes you to imgur's site. The rules are photos in the post, not a link to another website. Coupled with the fact that you can upload photos by attachment or use TPUs very own image hosting service, there's no reason this can't be followed.

Clicking a spoiler doesn't take you to a third party site, clicking an imgur link takes you to imgur's site. The rules are photos in the post, not a link to another website. Coupled with the fact that you can upload photos by attachment or use TPUs very own image hosting service, there's no reason this can't be followed.
Agreed, but is it clear? Can an update to those rules make it more clear? That is the point.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
I haven't seen the rules misinterpreted by very many people at all, but if changing a word or two to clarify that photos should be included within the post rather than linked, OK.

I don't know about using the term 'inline' though, I'd honestly be confused if I saw that over what's there now.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

dorsetknob

Are the seashell-themed bathroom tiles yours too?
No but the meds are ( and they are transfers on to kitchen tiles )

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I think the 2nd statement is actually a continuation of the first as the first goes off a bit when talking about no exceptions etc, I suppose there are a couple of clear messages here that if not fully understood from the speil may need a tweak, for me they are........

1. No links (my personal preference would be images only uploaded here but that's just my preference).
2. Handwritten paper with username
3. Actual physical item, not a picture off the internet or a manufacturers site.

If those key messages don't come across with some clarity then I agree completely! So just as a little exercise, if we assume that it's not absolutely clear, would it help if we condensed those 2 para's into one to read something like this.........

"You MUST include a picture of the actual physical item you are selling/trading (no links to any other sites or hosts) , along with your techPowerUp! forums user account name handwritten (Not typed or printed!) on a piece of paper that is clearly distinguishable . This is to validate that there is an item being sold that is in your possession and that you are the seller. -Have your pictures ready before you post your thread! Without these requirements being met at the time of posting your thread will be deleted immediatly"

Just some thoughts, I don't specifically moderate the B/S/T sections so would want feedback from those that do in any case.

I think that is more clear than what is currently there, absolutely.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
A while back, craigslist stopped allowing IMG SCR tag, eliminating external links to images. You now have to directly upload images to CL.

From what Ive read, they did this because of "image swapping". Someone posts an image then swaps it to misrepresent an item. Also, external links aren't always reliable.

Food for thought

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Also, external links aren't always reliable.
I hate when I stumble at old thread where folks are talking about non existing images ... and no way to get the complete story ... it's lost in time

Good with that too... I was more looking at the clicking involved and what was 'behind' the tag/link. :)

I hate when I stumble at old thread where folks are talking about non existing images ... and no way to get the complete story ... it's lost in time
Also a good point, though, with it being in a FS thread, chances are it will be clicked periodically and not 'time out'. Though, for historical purposes, that does present a problem.

I like the input!! :)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Interested to see if the main Mod players for the section have any thoughts @sneekypeet and @Mussels and just in case @erocker Ninja's by having escaped the Bat Cave.

Sneeky thinks its fine as is and was pretty emphatic about it (I had this discussion with him via PM). But in the end, (I) wanted to put it out here for discussion. It is always best to have more opinions.

Seems like its clear from the posts here that it can use some touching up as I suspected, but, doesn't look like its a 'need' either. Clarity never hurts... this benefits your staff and the user base... so why not? ;)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Staying out of it. I explained it all via PM and Earth seemed to want to take it over my head and here he is. So do as you all wish!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nowhere does it state or allude to INLINE image being required.

IMO, it is pretty clear that the pictures can't be links, (No Links) says exactly that. Your pictures can't be links, they have to be in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.