1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Budget-ish gaming rig issues

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by UDCbey, Jul 11, 2012.

1. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    So, um...
    Here are my PC specs.
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK
    GPU: HIS Radeon 7750 1GB
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3, Dual Channel
    Case: Thermaltake Level 10GTS
    CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3550
    CPU cooler: Stock Cooler
    DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B3LT
    PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W
    HDDs:1x500GB Hitachi HDD, 1x80GB Western Digital

I've set everything up, but for some reason, when I boot up, I don't hear the internal speaker beep, and nothing appears on screen when I connect to the onboard inputs.:cry: (because I haven't gone into BIOS and installed an OS). Does anyone have any idea of what is happening?

2. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    do you plug in everything correctly?
    you have to plug it to the 7750 output if you have addon GPU

3. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Start with the basics, make sure all power connectors are in the right ports and are fully inserted and that all components are seated properly.

Also try booting with a single memory stick installed as sometimes it's a lot easier for the system to address a smaller amount of memory on boot up.

4. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Hang on...which video output do you have your monitor connected to? There are probably 3 of them on the motherboard and three of them on the video card. Depending on how the BIOS of that motherboard is configured, some of those ports might work and some might not. Your life might be a little easier if you power off, remove the video card, and then connect to one of the 3 video output connectors on the motherboard. Then, check the BIOS setting that instructs the motherboard what to do when a plug in video card is inserted.

5. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    I did take out my GPU for the boot ups, and connected the onboard inputs to DVI first, and when that didn't work, I went for VGA. Which also didn't work. Everything is plugged in, as the hard drives vibrate, all the system fans move and the onboard LED lights up. I'll take out the one stick of RAM, thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uos6mbzsKo&feature=g-upl for a demonstration of the problem.
    Do I need to plug in a mouse and keyboard before I hear the beautiful beep from the system? Might I need to replace my RAM (The MemOK! light is always on when I boot up, and pressing the button doesn't really do anything)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. Fatal1ty39

Thanks Received:
  7. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Disconnect EVERYTHING you do not need to boot the computer. Put only one stick of ram in..
    Reset CMOS with the jumper or whatever then reboot. Get into bios if you can and load default settings.

Try the one stick of ram in other slots as well, may be a slot failing.

8. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    If you still can't get it to boot even with one RAM stick, remove the RAM. Then power on the system and you should hear a series of beeps from the internal speaker. If yes, then either the RAMs are faulty or incompatible. If they are incompatible, the Mem OK button might get them to work. Try that. If that is the issue, I suggest you request your dealer to replace the modules and get the right one for your system.

UDCbey says thanks.
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    My motherboard (ASUS P9X79 Deluxe,) lit up the DRAM LED when I first built it. I had to flash the BIOS to get it to boot. I also have the push button flash tool that doesn't even need the CPU or memory, so unless you can get some slower memory to try, I'm not sure how you would flash it. How fast is the memory?

10. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alot of new motherboards dont have speakers anymore do they?? =/

11. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    They have a speaker connector.

12. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    I removed my RAM, and the speaker made a continuous beep. I will try to get hold of some compatible RAM as soon as possible. Thanks!
    While we are on the topic of problems, I have another question to ask. My mobo says that it has a PCI e 3.0 running at x16, and a.PCI e 2.0 running at x4 mode max. Now,seeing as I use a 7750, I plan to get another for crossfire. 7750s draw power solely from x16 slots so... Can I still run them in crossfire on my mobo?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  13. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    That is a good sign that the motherboard made a series of continuous beeps without the RAM. It usually indicates that your CPU and motherboard is working ok.
    And yes, you can run them in crossfire very well without a problem. The two PCIE slots have dedicated power phases. The thing is that the extra performance gain you will get might be outran by a single 7870 GPU so I suggest don't crossfire and when you have saved enough money, get a single beast GPU like the GTX 670 or 690 or Radeon HD 7970 or 7990(when it comes :roll: )
    Best of luck.

14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    you usre the bios pins are set right?

15. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    I think the 7870 is out of my reach, but I think that a 7850 isn't too hard to get my on. Does a 2gb 7850 outperform 2 1gb 7750s by a decent amount? Or should I just go for a 560 ti, or SE?

16. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    A 2 GB 7850 will easily outperform 2 1 GB or even 2GB 7750s. And especially for your mobo which has a PCIE x 16 3.0 @ x16 and the other 2.0 @x4, you will not get the full potential of your 2nd GPU. So in all cases, a 2 GB 7850 will be the best choice. :)

UDCbey says thanks.
  17. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    Noted. One last question-when I boot up for the first time, should I hook my monitor up to the onboard outputs or to the GPU outputs?

18. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    I suggest you not to connect the graphics card to the pcie slot at all for the first time. Try with only the onboard first. If system works that is POST is successful, then connect the graphics card and connect the monitor to it as well. :)

UDCbey says thanks.
  19. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I recently read an article on the newly released 660 ti on tom's hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html ) and a remark at the end caught my eye- 7870s are beginning to emerge for around 280 dollars, and that both companies will probably start slashing prices for those products. So, should I go with a 660 ti, or a 7870, or should i go with something else?

itsakjt says thanks.
  20. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    The 660 Ti is actually a better choice over the 7870 I think personally. Assuming they will cost the same after sometime, gaming will be slightly better on the 660Ti not to mention about the extra features like CUDA and PhysX NVIDIA gives. I would have got the 660 Ti if it was me :) Now there are many factors. Look for the better subvendor and better coolers. In our computer market, when I went to buy my GPU, my budget was 125 $(6500 Rs approx). In all the shops I went, there was not a single NVIDIA card at that budget which had good cooling system. All puny aluminium ones. So I got the Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1 GB DDR5 850MHz core, 1200MHz mem which has copper cooler. And trust me, I am super satisfied. So as you can see, my choice was narrowed down not by the GPU but the customization of the subvendor.
    So I suggest you look for the balance of both the GPU and the subvendor customization because both GPUs are excellent when it comes to gaming. :)

UDCbey says thanks.
  21. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    ERMAHGERD IT WORKS.
    I purchased new RAM, and it turns out that my 3rd RAM slot is faulty, so I plugged the 2 modules into the 1st and 2nd slots, and it booted up fine.
    I need some purchasing advice- At my local computer mall, I can get an Nvidia GTX 660 ti 3GB (2nd from top) from Inno3D with a free copy of 3D Mark 11 vantage, and a free mousepad. On the other hand, I can get an OC 7870, 2GB, that always remains under 50 celcius for around the same price. So what should I get?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    itsakjt says thanks.
  22. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    if ram slot is fail RMA it
    take Inno you gonna have 3gb memory on that +bonus with the same price :toast:

23. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    Any recommendations for a CPU cooler under $70?

24. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what about THERMALTAKE Frio CL-P0564 or XIGMATEK CPU Cooler Dark Knight [S1283W]

25. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Honestly with the CPU you have and its non OCing abilities, I would just go with a 212+ evo cheap and be done with it.

Crunching for Team TPU