1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Budget-ish gaming rig issues

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by UDCbey, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would say that most people with gaming PC's should always start with something like a 7850/7870.....and then budget for another $200-$250 card in 18-24months or so.
    As I said to you before, it annoys me that top end cards are often x2 or ultra expensive......consider that I can actually buy a 7970 box with 16gig ram etc for the same price as a Titan.

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=72&bid=2&sid=104935

This build is the same cost as a Titan......something very wrong with all that:banghead:

2. UDCbey

Thanks Received:
    So, um, i'm really really considering making a new build that I can lug to people's houses without too much suspicion. I'm going to switch the HDDs from my main rig to the mini-rig when I go to somebody's home, and to serve as a bit of an HTPC (Im really cutting down on price, so i'm just probably going to get a pentium G850, a cheap but reliable m-atx mobo, and a small chassis- Everything else will be swapped from my main rig) and what I want to know is do I have to reinstall drivers every single time I swap my HDDs? Or can I just hotswap at will with no issues?

3. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes, changing the motherboard will cause you to reinstall the entire OS. So no one can say what will happen. Trying it is your best bet. All the best.

4. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    All the times I've done it, it didn't do that. As long as you have windows installed in the primary drive then it won't try to reinstall the OS. And it can't reinstall the OS unless you have a windows disc in the drive.

If you change mobo and plug in a drive that already windows installed then it should boot. Some of your mobo features may not work because it does not have correct driver.

It should not try to reinstall windows unless you have drive corruption, blank drive, or windows 95?

5. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    When I used XP, I once changed my motherboard from 915G chipset to 945G. No matter what BIOS settings I tried, I got a BSOD while XP was loading. Same thing happened with my friend too. I don't know about 7 though. Maybe they have improved it.

6. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    because you did not boot in safe mode. You don't want it to use any drivers when loading windows because it would be the wrong drivers or having your ports messed up since it's a different mobo. Wrong video drivers will definitely BSOD like hell.

of course windows 7 is smarter and will prevent most BSOD but XP and 2000 worked fine for me.

7. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    No man I tried safe mode but in vain. I even tried repairing the installation i.e. reinstalling keeping all programs. But it BSODed as well causing me to format.

8. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    That sucks. I guess I'm lucky :)

9. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    LOL yes :p