1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Budget Mini-ITX build, need some ideas

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by JunJun9000, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JunJun9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi people, my current rig is pushing 5 years old and although it still does pretty much everything I ask of it, its starting to show its age. So upgrade time!

The case has already been chosen and bought; its the Fractal Design Node 304 but I'm having a little trouble deciding what to put in it. The main things it'll be used for is 1080p video viewing, internet browsing, general office work, some VMware (currently taking part in CS50x :)) and maybe some light gaming.

Budget is £300-400, don't need storage drives or OS but an SSD would be helpful. Here's what I've come up with:
    [​IMG]

Opinions and suggestions? Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

• spec.gif
      spec.gif
      File size:
      106.1 KB
      Views:
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    If the budget permits, up the SSD to 120 or 128Gb.... You OS and other programs will fill 60Gb pretty quick.
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    My suggestion: Drop the H60 and get the A10-5800k (it's faster, particularly the GPU), and, if you can, get a 128GB SSD. I'm using a 128GB SSD in my laptop and IMO it's the smallest you'd really want to use.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    5600K will suit him fine. Processing speed is the same core for core, both have 4Mb L3 cache...... Graphics wise, the 5800K is a tad better
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Drop H60, get at least 120GB unless you enjoy deleting things.
  6. JunJun9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, I can easily drop the H60 in place of a larger SSD; the reason I chose a water cooler is I want it as quiet as possible.

The main thing putting me off taking the plunge at the moment is the lack of FM2 motherboard choice. The Asrock boards apparently like to set on fire and the MSI one above is currently out of stock at most shops.

Thanks btw.
  7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Asrock boards do not start on fire. Where did you hear this? I tested(reviewed) a handful of ASrock boards and they were fine. I run one in my HTPC and it's awesome.
  8. JunJun9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Their ITX board has terrible customer reviews, just take a look at Newegg.
  9. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    If you trust tards from New Egg your crazy. I handled litterally 20 ASRock's boards over the past 2 years(reviews) and none of them were bad period including A85 motherboards. I would suggest you take New Egg morons advice over this forums(being a smartass...LOL). I am sure many more will chime in that ASRock boards are very good. :toast:

The idiot compainers on New Egg F@ck up their shizza cause they are noobs and complain on New Eggs site. Why don't you google review for your board and look at overclocking sites for the truth about the board.

Here is one....

http://www.futurelooks.com/asrock-a75m-itx-fm1-mini-itx-motherboard-review/4/

Here is another

http://www.overclock.net/t/1353566/asrock-fm2a85x-itx-the-ultimate-fm2-itx-mobo-to-lust-for
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013