1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Build advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by freaksavior, Aug 24, 2011.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have yet to run into a problem. I'm sure there are a couple games out there and I'm also sure that there are some games out there with memory leaks.

Fourstaff says thanks.
  2. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I would choose that or a similar one but the CX series

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V ...

$94 but at least is a reliable one and some people taught me that the PSU is the most important thing: if it blows it can blow all your computer and a cheap one is really more expensive.

And I have bad references for the CX builder series from Corsair.

my 2 cents :)

EDIT I saw now that you changed it ;)

3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Then don't get the ssd and substitute it with 2 more f3's and run raid 5. It will give you a 1 drive fault tolerance with performance of raid 0.

4. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I'm sure some games do have memory leaks - but some are just straight up hogs.

It all depends on what games you play and your settings. You're running 1GB 6950's just to be sure, right Erocker?

I haven't had any problems as my cards are all 2GB, but I have watched usage go as high as 1.48GB. The most obvious culprit is GTA4 once totally maxed out, and it can shoot all the way up to 2GB+ with mods.

I agree that in most common games he won't have problems, but if he plays any super high end games he just might. Also, newer DX11 games are probably going to start going over 1GB easily with everything maxed out. I just think the price difference is worth the peace of mind. :) In his case though, maybe he should skimp to fit budget.

freaksavior: have you considered looking for any parts on craigslist, ebay, or other ways of getting new parts cheaper? Might help you go higher end without breaking your budgie. For example last night I found a Corsair HX1000 brand new for $100. A few weeks ago I also got two GTX 480's (one brand new, one mint) for $200 and $185 respectively. You can get some insane deals right now due to the world economies currently imploding. Build the machine now while we still have power infrastructure XD

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  5. erocker

Thanks Received:

Yeah, two 1gb 6950's. DX11 doesn't make memory usage go up. Lots of high-rez textures and things like that do. GTA4 is a good example of a game that will eat as much vram as possible, though it's a poorly coded/ported game for sure. 2gb cards are not detrimental and if money needs to be saved, go for the 1gb's.

6. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bah, I know dx11 itself doesn't increase memory usage. I'm just saying the newer high end games (which will most likely be utilizing dx11) will use a lot of VRAM. That's all I meant :p I should have been more clear.

Wait erocker, do you run eyefinity with those cards. What res?

I understand not wanting to use ebay. I've had problems with some sellers a long time ago. Recently I've had good fortune though. I bought my second 6GB 3x2gb dominator kit off ebay brand new for $48.50. More than 50% retail price.

Everything on your list looks very nice though. Personally I wouldn't change anything except for the RAM & the case, but you are set in stone on that case. It is sweet regardless. Are you going with the XSPC RASA kit? IF so which one?

7. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Ebay? Naw, not buying off flebay.

I may end up looking around for used parts since you can usually save a good bit of $
    The last list is pretty much set though unless someone makes a good suggestion.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    My system specs are up to date. 1920x1200. No, I don't use eyefinity and and don't think Freaksavior is either. If one was to use eyefinity then yes, 2gb cards are pretty much a must. :)

LordJummy says thanks.
  9. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Nope, single monitor 1920x1080

LordJummy says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU