1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a ~2,000 rig, need help with triple monitor and opinions!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by sikhness, Jun 16, 2014.

1. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    I am with dave hardware wise a single AMD card is best bang for the buck crossfirex is a Opinion When it works ... sadly there drivers are a convoluted cluster fuck of fail

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    But they mention 3D vision on their drivers releases a lot more than Surround that I've noticed. I also tend to disagree on the multi-GPU aspect of AMD because like I said before with my 290X trio I have only run into one issue and that issue was called BF4. I do not consider one to be vastly superior, but I find AMD GPUs now a days offer better bang for buck and run high resolutions better which is what I strive for. As for buying 2 780ti's vs 2 290X's, its really a matter of opinion at that point whether whose right or not because based on resolutions, games, and the setup your using.

Drivers wise, I have had maybe one problem with AMD drivers. I have seen in the past a long time ago when they were pretty wonky but there is nothing wrong with the drivers now as far as i'm concerned. So I would not let that hold you back as there is nothing wrong with the drivers in this day and age. As for a buying the R9 280X cards, well if you can get two you might be better off if your dead set on a surround setup. But if you can you could just deal with an R9 290 or 290X and then once you get more money add a second later to boost that performance. But the R9 280X is essentially an HD 7970 which are still very good cards even in this day and age.

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I gave up on AMD 100% in January, so maybe things are better now.

I still have one card each of every generation from 2900XT up to 7970. My son plays nearly everything on a 5850 and 1100T. With the GPUs from either camp at the extreme high-end being so close performance wise, it really does come down to wallet and personal usage, really. I play everything in Surround, and have no problems, really. With consoles currently kind of all the same performance-wise now for the next several years, buying a current card from either camp is a safe bet, as long as you chose the right card for the right resolution you want to run. Which driver you like should make your choice, really. :p

4. sikhness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I see what your saying. Ive actually talked it out with a friend at Memory Express. He built a PC very clsoe to the one i am planning on building (Same processor and MoBo) and he took the GTX 780 and popped it in. He is also running 3 monitors for gaming and when he tried it out, It worked fine as long as the setting weren't Ultra High. But when he used a second GTX 780, It worked like a beauty. So what I might do is just buy the MSI GTX 780 and maybe stick to gaming on a single monitor until I can grab a second one in the near future, and alot of the experts at ME agreed with this. So the AMD would also be an option, but at the end of the day, its 2 mid level cards, whereas my end goal is having a high end PC for both gaming and software development. Having 2 mid level cards might be helpful for gaming, but having 2 high end cards (1 that i buy now, and 1 that I buy later) should be perfect for both.

Yeah it seems like its more of a personal preference and experience thing. I don't want to downgrade, as I would rather wait a month for more money and get a better component rather than spend 200-300 on a part im going to want to upgrade a month later. But honestly, this site has so been so much help, I cant thank you guys enough. I will defs come back here to ask any other questions I have, and will keep you guys posted on how this works out! I should be getting the PC assembled within the next month, and the monitors as the money comes in. Thanks again!