1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building A Computer. Experts Help Please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TCanuck42, Jan 5, 2007.

1. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello. I am an advanced computer user and am now looking to build myself a decent computer, just in time for Windows Vista and DirectX10. I have the basic outline of what I want for my computer, but I am not 100% sure that it is all compatable with itself. I would greatly appriciate if you could view the items below that I am considering using for my computer and reply knowledgably with feedback. Thanks in advance!

Computer Pieces:

Case: XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

Motherboard (Updated from KTR's Suggestion): GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Memory: G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Desktop Memory Model F2-4200PHU1-1GBNV - Retail

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Drives: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model LH-20A1H-185 - OEM

PSU: ePOWER ZU-550W ATX12V Version 2.0 / EPS12V 550W Power Supply - Retail

Thanks again and I'll look forward to hearing your feedback. Note: I will also be purchasing a DirectX10 compatable video, none of which are available at the time; meaning that i am not going to use the onboard graphic chipset as my default graphic processor.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  3. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the prompt reply! The board you suggested looks great and I am considering using it. I started with the low-end board i originally posted with because I was seeing how quickly everything else would add up. Also, can you please tell me what the minimum amount of voltage required to run everything is. Is the PSU bundled with the Case a piece of crap, or is it decent enough to run each component in my computer?

4. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    The case's psu is pretty bad....12amps on 12v rail...i recommend 18+ amps.

5. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    ecs motherboard are usually a bit crap IMO (hypocritical from someone with an asrock maybe, but still true) and a microatx will limit any upgrades you may want to make in the future.

And id go for a 250gb hard disk they only cost a little extra (about a fiver here in u.k. and i think the samsung ones use 2x 125g platters, where 200gb ones use 100gb platters which are supposedly slightly slower (though i very much doubt you would be able to notice the difference)

Also here in the u.k. ive seen some retaillers selling ddr667 cheaper than ddr533 (scan, corsair xms)

Oh and dx10 cards are availible (geforce 8800gtx/gts) but you may still want to wait, they're dropping in price weekly at the moment, and when the ati's turn up they will even more

and dont know much about rosewill, but i usually avoid psu's supplied with a case theyre usually crap, and 400w is a bit weak for core2duo and dx10

6. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Grings. How much Voltage do you suggest if not 400W?

7. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    it depends what graphics youre going to get really, but i'd look at over 500w from a decent brand like fsp(fortron), seasonic or hiper (there are some good guides on power supplies on this forum from people who know a fair deal more than me though)

8. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was planning to do; wait for the ATI DX10 Cards because I am not an NVida guy.

9. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, I updated the case to a stronger and less flimsy case.
    I also updated the PSU (see list at top of thread for details). Here is the link to it's specs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101021. Will this be able to run what i have efficiently? And does it would will all of my components, including motherboard?

10. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive never heard of epower, some of the americans on here may know more, and id check how much power the ati cards use when they finalise the design as it looks like its gonna be a lot, my x1800xl recommends 450w, x1950's use a lot more power than mine, and the new one will use quite a bit more than they do

11. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144
    I can't stop raving about this drive. I have two in RAID-0. HDTach reports the drive to be faster than the WD 74GB Raptor 10K RPM (and half as expensive). I wouldn't consider a hard drive that doesn't have perpendicular recording.

That case is going to feel quite cheap. You might notice down the road that you won't get very much cooling out of it, but on the other hand, it's a case.

G.Skill memory is a good choice. You might want to check out OCZ, Corsair, Mushkin, Patriot, and Crucial as well. I wouldn't buy DDR2-533 in a board that supports DDR2-800, though. You can always bring the memory speed down if you need to. Also, you're most likely going to want a matched pair of memory. The motherboard that ktr suggested supports Dual Channel (as do most motherboards now-a-day.)
    I'm not too familiar with Intel's processor lineup, but I'm guessing they're still doing the "Quad Pumped" FSB. If that's the case, DDR2-533 would work well. If your money is tight for memory, try this, this, or this. If you have some money you can devote toward memory (it'll definitely pay off if you do), look for Corsair XMS/XMS Pro, Mushkin Extreme, or OCz Gold/Platinum.

Motherboard: Not to say ktr is wrong, but I'm not a fan of Gigabyte. I have three DOA Gigabyte motherboards sitting in my closet right now. Personally, I'd suggest a DFI LanParty UT. Some other people will say Asus. I'd stay away from Biostar, PC Chips, and ECS. They're all pretty cheaply made.

PSU: No guarentees on ePower. I've never heard of them. It looks like it has some good reviews, though. I love my CoolerMaster RealPower, and it's on sale. Although it might not have much wattage to it, it's quite stable. Also, the 120mm fan will be quieter than the 80mm in the other PSU and will help with cooling. This is an older PSU that doesn't support SLI, so it might not work for you.

The biggest thing to remember is that if you're planning to overclock, you're going to have to buy fairly good, quality parts or else you're not going to get very far. Buying a big bad Intel E6600 is fine and dandy, but you're not going to be able to push it far without good memory or a good motherboard to back it up.

This is a pretty long post, so I better re-cap.
    Memory: Look for something better if you're planning on overclocking at all.

Motherboard: If you're sure you never want to overclock, you can go for a cheaper motherboard. I'd compare the Gigabyte board with something from the DFI lineup. Maybe you'll like them. Remember that a more expensive motherboard doesn't always mean it's a better motherboard. Check reviews.

PSU: Good reviews, but the company is unheard of. I won't say yes or no. The 8800GTX uses about 200W by itself. ATi's upcoming R600 is rumored to use 230W. The Core 2 Duo uses 65W, the motherboard will use about 10W-30W. Each fan is roughly 2W. Add 10W-25W per expansion card.. You're going to want room to spare, too. I'd guess 500-600W at the minimum.
    (Side note: Look at my system specs.

Hard Drive: Two words. Perpendicular Recording. The technology is new, but it works amazingly. You get amazing performance and storage for the same price as a normal drive.

Case: A case is a case, but you might get overheating issues, lots of cuts from sharp edges, and possibly incompatibility with your motherboard. I would highly recommend buying a 92mm fan to replace the one in the back and adding a fan to the front (I can't tell if the front takes a 80mm or a 92mm, but it almost looks like a 92mm.. Wait.. Ahh. It'll take both.). Other than that, it should be okay.

CPU: Great CPU, but if you're going to overclock, don't use the stock heatsync. Try this. I've heard amazing things about it. If you don't like that, check out a Zalman.

And what I said about the motherboard applies to almost every computer part you buy. Always check reviews (and not just Newegg reviews). I mean like www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    get this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811202006

cpu is good; you can goto the 6300 and oc the fubar out of it, recommend pming tigger69 on this ;)

mobo is good

memory...you may want to do dual channel...

HDD: go with perpendicular recording, especially the seagate 320gb PR sata...

drives looks good

psu in case; epower is a great brand, they have a top notch OEM parts.

:pimp:

13. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    as i said earlier though depending on what the r600 ends up using, 450w may not be enough (good quality or not)

and thats one UGLY case!

14. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Last time I checked the R600 was going to use an external power supply (aka plugs right into the wall), and heat was the only real issue you'd have to deal with.

15. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the case suggeston krt, but the way my tower is situated, the case cannot be one of the ones that have things on the front that you open to get to the drives. Also, thanks XVI for all of your suggestions. I have researched the Perpendicular Recording feature and have added that HDD to my computer's list of pieces.

Also, what do you think i could overclock the E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.44 GHz processor to safely? What pieces would i need to achieve this efficiently and safely? I have never overclocked a cpu before, so I am open to all info. Thanks again!

16. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get some ddr2 800 mhz memory for sure. There is some 667 mem that overclocks well but get some rated 800mhz stuff. I would say go with a 6300/6400 chip and oc it. Save some cash and have some fun tweaking it. I think most reviewers have agreed the 6300 is best bang for the buck. Just look at tigger69's system specs or mine for that matter to give you an idea of components to use.

17. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    THanks for your suggestions. Just exactly how do you actually overclock the cpu. what steps are required?

18. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    THanks for your suggestions. Just exactly how do you actually overclock the cpu. what steps are required?

19. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    the DS3 is a solid choice at a good price. id choose something else other than the g.skill tho. g.skill stuff has a nasty tendancy to D.W.C. (die without cause)

20. rizzo

rizzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking is very easy with the c2d's. There are some good guides out there. Just search in the oc section here and there should be links & info.

21. TCanuck42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would again like to thank everyone for their extremely helpful knowledge, suggestions, and comments. Everything seems great, but I would appriciate it if I could just once again have an expert confirm that everything I am getting for my computer (located in top of thread, first post) will be 100% compatable with everything else. Thanks again!:)

22. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I'd still highly recommend finding some dual channel memory. Other than that, it looks good!

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
  24. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    compare to his initial choice...a $50 ecs board... and the objective of a cheap decent gaming rig...yes, the g/b is pricey, about 3 times more... but all in comparison

25. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know the ECS boards were so cheap now. Game on!