1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Desktop or Buying a Laptop?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rezlov, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Rezlov New Member

Thanks Received:
    DECIDED TO GO WITH DESKTOP. NEW QUESTION IS HOW IS THIS SETUP:

Total Price: $1,243.42

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    first off... the tag to newegg won't show.. its a dead one that will only show what you've got and not show on our systems as anything..
    if you just type down what you got then we can just hunt it all down for you...

3. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Vostros are great machines. I prefer the Thinkpad T61p however. For about $100-$200 more, you can get legendary Thinkpad quality.

If you want to go places a ton, then a laptop would make more sense, but for stationary gaming etc., you get more upgradability with a desktop.

Rezlov says thanks.
  4. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    dont go for the laptop its not worth it you can build a very good gaming desktp for what you can pay for a laptop

5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the laptop is all about convenience. That's the only plus in my book. They are a major PITA to upgrade, not to mention far more expensive then their desktop brethren. If you're looking to game on your system, expect to pay $2000+ that will play current games at acceptable fps. The desktop equal would cost $1000. This is a simplified explanation of course.

6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with the laptop if he needs to go around alot but if he's just going to have it sitting then we all know we can build a system for around 1000 and pwn anything a laptop puts out at 2000 or more

7. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    true but i move around about everyday and i still would say desktop, but if he is going to like the locale coffie house all the time well the laptop would be the only thing that can do that

8. Rezlov New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
    $229.99 - $10.00 = $219.99

XFX PVT84JYDF3 GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    $229.99

Antec earthwatts EA430 ATX12V v2.0 430W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC - Retail
    $69.99

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 Merom 2.2GHz 4M shared L2 Cache Socket P 35W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
    $259.99

2 CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail
    $19.99 each

Open Box: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000AAKS 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    $89.25

Recertified: Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    $59.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black PATA Model SH-S202G - OEM
    $25.99

Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
    $29.99

TOTAL
    $945.16

9. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    all right.. sounds like a good build on the desktop, but if you can spend more and get the 8800gt... you won't be sorry..
    with you posting that, I think you'll love the desktop better!

10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like laptop is the go then as long ur happy enuff with med to low detail on most games. The only thing i dont like with gaming on my lappy is it gets supa hot supa quick.

11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    thats the biggest reason I tell people not to get one if they are gaming... or do what I did with mine.. spend the extra 70 dollars or more to get a video caption system that will allow you to hook your laptop to your tv... then go into settings and fix it to where your computer can run on it... I did that for a long while and loved it... sit back in my recliner and just kill people Rainbow Six 3.

Rezlov says thanks.
  12. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    i agree get a 8800gt but everything else is fine

13. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    So which way you gonna go Rezlov? building or buying a lappy

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Is socket p 775? coz the board is 775 and the chip is socket p.I'd try and get a better graphics card if you can tho'.

I'd say desktop if you dont need portable.

Rezlov says thanks.
  15. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No the cpu he selected is a mobile chip....aka for laptops. He needs to get a LGA 775 or socket T chip (same thing).

At OP: Depends on what you want to do? If you move alot, I would suggest getting a smaller laptop, I mean 15.4 is big for a laptop that you move alot 17" is huge. If you're not going to need it in other places stick with the desktop it gives you more performance. Just depends on what you're going to do.

Rezlov says thanks.
  16. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    +1 on that.. the card needs to be updated to something newer... something with Direct x 10.. I know 9 is what most use, but 10 is going to be needed really so I am thinking.... But, that is just me...

17. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    well my 8600gt does dx10 but 8800gt would kill mine so if you can go for 88 that would be the best

18. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go for the laptop as you move around alot...
    Don´t know what your budget is, but there are a few decent :cool:gaming laptops:cool: out there!

19. Rezlov New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright I think I'm decided to go with the Desktop. I don't really 'travel' anywhere that I need my computer that bad.

When I purchase this stuff, should I buy all from 1 place or does it not matter? Obviously I want the best price.

As for the graphics card, could someone go to Newegg.com or somewhere else and find the correct 8800GT card? I see a ton that differ each and am not sure which one is best.

My budget isn't endless, but I don't want to go over $1200 really.

As for the processor, what is another good one since the one I picked out is for a laptop?

For the Hard Drives, should I go with a 16mb or 8mb?

I don't need another disc drive other than that DVD burner do I?

Is memory good enough?

I understand this computer could handle gaming, but could it also do good with applications? I use many applications and that is just as, maybe more important than gaming.

Thanks a lot to everyone and I apologize for the questions. I don't know much about computer hardware.

20. Rezlov New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump. Was on page 2.

21. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:

Hey, don't worry about asking alot of questions on here! its a tech website that helps people. So, your questions are good for a person that doesn't know what to look for in building a rig of your own.

Answers to your questions
    (1) If you buy from one place you may be lucky to find it cheaper to ship it to you. Plus most people here use newegg for the simple fact that the more you spend there, the more they give back to you.
    (2) here is probably one of the best ones out there.. I haven't heard anything wrong with that.
    Or, you can go with this whenever it gets into stock.. I'm not a big person on the types of nVidia cards to get because I've never owned one...
    (3) This one
    (4) You will be wanting to go with a 16mb cache But, I really wouldn't suggest to get any type of rmaed hdd's. Better to get hdd's that hasn't had any problems so you won't have the same... IMO
    (5) The dvd burner that you are picking out is fine. the only reason why you should go and get another drive is if you don't want to spend an hour burning anything because of the fact it saves the image that you are burning into a temp folder so you can swap dvds or cds and still be able to get all the info.. I've all ways went with two types... A good dvd burner with a dvd player...
    (6) I would never get any type of "value" ram... Sometimes it good, sometimes its bad. I would get this ram for the fact its a good ocing ram. or this ram because everyone on TPU uses it to over clock.
    (7) You'll be fine with both gaming and apps. the duel processor helps in both settings.. Its no more of the Intel is made for apps while AMD is straight gaming... Intel is in the #1 spot for both.

Namslas90 says thanks.
  22. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The BOXD975XBX2KR is a good motherboard but I think you would be better of getting a cheaper P35 motherboard and spending the extra $100 on a video card. Don't worry about asking lots of questions, that's the reason this website exists. Welcome to techpowerup.

23. lowflyer

lowflyer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Newegg is a decent spot as stated above. If you go to pricegrabber.com they will compare the prices at many online stores and give you the best price but, I've found they dont always find the best deals (I think they may not search every store so makes sense).

24. Rezlov New Member

Thanks Received:
    I may buy this soon or wait till Feb.

By Feb will there be anything new out that would be worth waiting for?

25. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    new videocards that are coming out in late jan. and new processors for Intel come out in jan. and feb. so if you want to wait you can. You'll have more time to look at parts you want and get a set up you like.
    It took me about 3 months to make up my mind and just look at my specs to see what I have... Remember we are all ways here and open to anything