1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Home/office server, questions

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Damian^, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so basically i want to build a server for storage, downloads (and be able to transfer them to my main rig), web hosting(two sites: 1 for a business, and another for maybe a clan/forum), send emails to customers, burning, Ventrillo server (maybe), and possibly a PC game server (Probably not, but im looking into it).

1st. of all my budget is pretty low about $500 or less. Though im assuming most of the work/money goes into the networking, and ISP when it comes to servers and a good dual core/2gigs of ram will do am i right? (no need for a monitor nor a case)

2nd. Am i asking to much out of this low budget server?

3rd. What are some main differences when it comes to Desktop processors and server processors (even though they are the same socket type, like AM2 dual core, and AM2 opteron?)

4th. Would a dual core processor work fine for a server with these types of needs? Or should i go with a "server" processor but of the same socket? If so should i buy a Xeon or an Opteron? (I'm leaning towards the opteron since they are cheaper)

5th Am i asking to many questions :rolleyes::banghead:

Well i guess if i get this figured out maybe later on in the thread someone can give me a nice list of "hardware" parts that would work well for my budget?

Regards

Damian
  2. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    1. go to microcenter and find stuff on the clearance table(houston/dallas). you can also get used stuff from here and other forums.

2. a server can be an old crappy p3 computer. it all depends on what your using it for and how much money you have to spend.

3. desktop and server processors are almost identical. just different names.

4. dualcore is fine for servers. you probably wont be reaching a load to where a quad would benefit you any.

5. no... its good to ask questions. you may find that you can build it for far less than $500 if you buy used parts and you can get a far better build from our suggestions.
    Damian^ says thanks.
  3. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks!.
    I will probably go with a cheap AMD processor.
    Although what kind of hard drives should i be looking for? I know i want probably Raid1 or 5 (but thats's a bit pricey) any suggestions?

As for the motherboard, im keeping my eye on this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138111

but once again suggestions are welcomed

Regards

Damian
  4. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:

The main diffrence between server hardware and desktop hardware is reliability. it all comes down to how critical your uptime is, if its super critical than you invest in the best hardware. lots of redundency, etc.

Serving a website is peanuts, as i dont think you will be generating enough hits to require a fast machine, though if you are starting to use databases, and have multiple access at once, it would warrent a faster machine, as well as maybe offloading the database server to another machine.

For your needs a entry level P4 would be enough.... but that depends on the ammount of traffic the site is recieving... and being hosted on a home internet connection i cant see that hit count being very high. i would say a P4 @ 2Ghz, 512-1GB of ram, and a sata HDD should be plenty for your needs.

Obviousely you will also want to run linux/BSD as it is much lighter, and there is no need for windows for this application.

Something to also note is that vents free server is limited to 8 users, and from a home connection you would need to use a pretty low codec so as not to soak your bandwidth...

Also remember you dont need a good videocard, a crappy Rage pro PCI would be plenty as it wont be doing any rendering.

Depending on your bandwidth, budget, and data security you might want to setup a raid system, depends how attached to your data you are really... i would suggest raid 5, for both speed and redundency... than also make weekly backups to hardcopys at the least.