1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a low-power AM3 system for someone. Need advice.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by happita, Mar 16, 2011.

1. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I saw a shellshocker deal on the egg, which looks real good. I just need quick advice on if its all worth it.
    This new build is for a friend who does my taxes every year. He has a Pentium 3, thats all I have to say :laugh: so ANYTHING will be better than his current setup. After I do this, I will probably have to transfer over all of his tax info and whatever else. What's the best way to do this without losing any data? Making a disk image?

Anyway, for now, I just need advice on a very cheap and simple build, and I figured since the egg is having a shellshocker CPU + Mobo combo, I figured why not go for that? :)
    Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Saving...

My budget is $400 for a complete box with no monitor.
    CPU - AM3 Athlon II x2 245 Regor 2.9GHz
    Motherboard - ASUS M4A88t-M
    PSU - ?
    Case - ?
    Memory - ?
    HDD - ?
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else? I'd like some more suggestions. I'm hard pressed to press the buy button in 20 minutes before this deal goes away.
    edit: VERY reasonable price btw Frick, thanks. PSU seems a little cheap though, I'd like to be 100% confident in it. I wouldn't want to go over to his office every single time he has a problem and I have to go troubleshoot it. Maybe something with at least a 80-plus Bronze certification PSU.