1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

building a new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dsdavis6, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dsdavis6 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, i am about to build a new pc before i go back to college as i will need to be using it a lot for my course.

i will be ordering it from ebuyer and the plan is to build it around a intel core 2 quad q6600, ebuyer quick find code 124869. i also have my eye on a 8800gts... but i doubt i will be gettin that for a couple months i will probably end up saving a bit more for that.

really im just looking on some advice on the best build i could do around this for a total cost of about £500-£600. i know which disc drives i will be using as i back up xbox 360 games. i also have a via pci card which il need to get in there for flashing my xbox 360. so its mainly the motherboard, ram and psu i need help on... as i said i am kinda on a budget but i would like some over clocking abilities as lets face it thats pretty much why core 2 duo is kickin amds ass atm.

thanks for reading :)

2. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    General spec:

Mobo: AW9D MAX \ IP35 Pro (both very OCable, reliable, priced very reasonably, and most importantly they both use all solid state capacitors)

CPU: E6550. A quad at this stage (and for a good year or more down the line) will largely be useless. A quad only has its merits if you will be doing specific duties that would require a lot of cores, for example 3D modelling or CAD work.

Graphics: A 1950Pro 512MB or 1950XTX 512MB should have more than enough grunt for about a year, their cheap as chips now too.

RAM: 2x1GB kit DDR800 should be your minimum. I would recommend a DDR1000 kit or better though, price differences between an 800MHz and a 1000MHz kit are usually very minimal (£10-20) depending on manufacturer. Its not from ebuyer but This is an excellent DDR800 kit for £85.

3. dsdavis6 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, thanks for replying... well i was kinda looking at quad core as i was hoping to get something a bit future proof. also i do a lot of compression and i do like to use photoshop whilst playing music and multi tasking in general etc.

[​IMG]

heres an image of my shooping cart... theres no graphics card in there... im just going to worry about that in a couple months.

what does everyone think?

4. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    MSI P35 Neo2-FR is a solid quad core board. It has a good price and overclocking is great but not spectacular.

5. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Hey ds, they are some nice parts in that list you have there, it will be a good foundation for uprading..

You will need a gfx card of some decription though while you wait to buy an 8800.. do you have an old one laying around somewhere????

The only weak point I can see in that list is probably the psu, I have never owned one myself but I have heard mixed reports on the quality of them.

Also with your dvd burner, try and get a sata one as you won't need to have those big ugly ide cables in your case then, it looks a lot neater and helps with airflow etc....

6. dsdavis6 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey thanks for all your replies, i havent been able to get on for a while. So i have waited a littloe longer and i am now in a position to get my graphics card with the oc as well as a decent sized monitor :) im going to look into the mother boards and psu's again, maybe the dvd writer as well. il post once iv rebuilt my list