1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a new desktop for college...

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by arover, Jun 21, 2007.

1. arover New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, heading off to college, after much contemplation, I decided to bring a desktop with me. I'm going to miss home enough, why not bring a little something to help me not miss it so much :D

Anyways, since the specs are going to be pretty decent, I know I'm definetly going to need some physical security solutions, with which I have zero experience at all dealing with. I'm looking at getting a Lian-Li case, and wondering if anyone has had any experience with specific desktop locks, or any other sort of reccomendations for locking up the case door (so none may open and steal the hardware inside) as well as just the case itsself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fyi, the specs are going to be something like the Q6600 Quad Core (after the price drop) 8800gts, 2gb ddr2 800, etc....If anyone has any advice to give with what mobo/ram/hardware in general is good to go with these days, it'd be greatly appreciated. For the mobo I was thinking of going with the MSI P6N SLI Platinum NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI. I havn't built a new pc for myself in about 4 years, so I'm greatly looking forward to this one.

2. TXcharger

TXcharger New Member

Thanks Received:
    laptop bro, thats what i am looking at getting for college. i'm gonna get a gaming one so i can do both :)

3. arover New Member

Thanks Received:
    See, I've thought really hard about a laptop, and I've come to the conclusion that if I'm going to want to do any gaming in college (though I REALLY shouldn't be) with spore coming out in a year (hopefully)...Crysis...Bioshock...Unreal Tourney..etc...A laptop isn't really going to cut it, even some of the top end models. And in terms of top-end models, one that could match a hi-end desktop could easily double in terms of cost, and the upgradeability is greatly limited. Plus, the battery life would be so short that it'd end up sitting on my desk anyways, so why not go for a desktop? The only thing stopping me is security, really. :slap: If I ever need to bring my pc somewhere on campus, I do have a very decent laptop already. Just contemplating if I should bring that as well.

But yes...nothing beats a desktop, imo.

4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received: