• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a new PC, could use some help.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
That monitor looks great, I just bought a Crossover 27" QHD (IPS panel by LG), and it's amazing - even though it's only 60Hz, and there's some motion blur. Crossover is a South Korean brand, so it's only $400, shipped directly from Korea. But if I had the money, I would choose the Asus, it's better for gaming. For the rest of the build, I'd go for the 4970K Devil's Canyon CPU, for the higher base clocks, lower temps, and resale value (for after the next upgrade). For the motherboard, I would never choose an Asrock board, especially for my main gaming rig. They are #4, behind MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus, and have the worst QC of them all. I prefer Asus, they make about 50% of all boards, and they have the most resources for R&D and validation with other components. They also have the best UEFI BIOS in the business, and better overall firmware and driver support. I would choose an Asus Z97-Pro, Z97-Deluxe, or maybe a Z97 Hero. The motherboard determines the integrity of the system, no way I'd cheap out on this, a $100 board in a $3000 system is ludicrous. Also, the RAM you chose is good, but 2400 MHz is better, and costs about the same, so do your research there, faster RAM = faster system. If you choose all your components wisely, the system should be viable for at least 3 years, especially when fast M.2 SSDs and SATA Express drives become available, so Z97 is the best option for future-proofing. I noticed that you haven't considered CPU cooling. Even though you're not overclocking, an i7 can overwhelm the stock cooler under load (90c+ under full load!), so I'd at least get a Hyper 212 Evo or similar air cooler. Ideally you probably should get an all-in-one liquid cooler, like the H100i, for quiet operation and very low temps, and because a liquid cooler causes no strain on the board and isn't in the way so much like a large air cooler. Also it looks much better, especially in a $3000 system. Balance is the key, you should never use low-end parts in a high-end system, because when that $100 motherboard or $50 power supply goes up in smoke, it might take your $700 video card with it, or your SSD, RAM, CPU or everything else if it burns long enough. The amount of research you do before buying anything is directly proportional to the ultimate quality of your build. You have at least 2 weeks before Devil's Canyon is released - I would spend that time reading a lot of hardware reviews, and refining the build into a well-balanced system with no compromises.

Slepa

That monitor looks great, I just bought a Crossover 27" QHD (IPS panel by LG), and it's amazing - even though it's only 60Hz, and there's some motion blur. Crossover is a South Korean brand, so it's only $400, shipped directly from Korea. But if I had the money, I would choose the Asus, it's better for gaming. For the rest of the build, I'd go for the 4970K Devil's Canyon CPU, for the higher base clocks, lower temps, and resale value (for after the next upgrade). For the motherboard, I would never choose an Asrock board, especially for my main gaming rig. They are #4, behind MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus, and have the worst QC of them all. I prefer Asus, they make about 50% of all boards, and they have the most resources for R&D and validation with other components. They also have the best UEFI BIOS in the business, and better overall firmware and driver support. I would choose an Asus Z97-Pro, Z97-Deluxe, or maybe a Z97 Hero. The motherboard determines the integrity of the system, no way I'd cheap out on this, a $100 board in a $3000 system is ludicrous. Also, the RAM you chose is good, but 2400 MHz is better, and costs about the same, so do your research there, faster RAM = faster system. If you choose all your components wisely, the system should be viable for at least 3 years, especially when fast M.2 SSDs and SATA Express drives become available, so Z97 is the best option for future-proofing. I noticed that you haven't considered CPU cooling. Even though you're not overclocking, an i7 can overwhelm the stock cooler under load (90c+ under full load!), so I'd at least get a Hyper 212 Evo or similar air cooler. Ideally you probably should get an all-in-one liquid cooler, like the H100i, for quiet operation and very low temps, and because a liquid cooler causes no strain on the board and isn't in the way so much like a large air cooler. Also it looks much better, especially in a $3000 system. Balance is the key, you should never use low-end parts in a high-end system, because when that $100 motherboard or $50 power supply goes up in smoke, it might take your $700 video card with it, or your SSD, RAM, CPU or everything else if it burns long enough. The amount of research you do before buying anything is directly proportional to the ultimate quality of your build. You have at least 2 weeks before Devil's Canyon is released - I would spend that time reading a lot of hardware reviews, and refining the build into a well-balanced system with no compromises.

Note it's in euros, so about 4200 dollars.

This is actually a very well put post and I do appreciate it. I don't think the cooling is a problem, since the case I'm getting will have extra cooling as well. I also don't have any experience with water cooling so I don't know how to set it up. Surely I can find instructions on it online, but I rather play it safe. If it gets too hot I can just buy a bigger fan and once the PC gets old I can experiment with water cooling since at that point I have basically nothing to lose.

I just tested the 27" and 24" monitors on my desk, and oh god the 27" is enormous. I cannot handle it with my current desk, so I went with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE61SOA/?tag=tec06d-20

When G-sync becomes more available I will get one, but until then that monitor will suit my needs more than perfectly.

Also as I stated in a previous post, I will be waiting for the haswell refresh CPU's. The price was the same as 4770k so no point in not waiting.

I also considered your point about the motherboard, in which you are very correct. I did own one AsRock motherboard in one of my desktops and it was shit, but I guess I wanted to believe they've improved. I changed the motherboard to this one:
http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/MAXIMUS-VII-HERO

As for the memory, the 2133 is completely fine. Memory is so easily upgradable that it won't be an issue to just pick those out and put 2400 in there when the time comes. Mayby when games start supporting more than 4 cores I'll get more than 2133.

As everybody else has stated, if you don't want to overclock don't waste your money on a -K CPU. A lot of people still recommend 1866 memory, 2133 is the next after that because it's widely supported by most boards and it depends. I've seen the premium for over 2133 to be steep. Especially if going for 4x4GB.

System Name Daedalus
Processor AMD FX 6300
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis (2x4GB)
Video Card(s) MSI R9 270X Gaming 2GB
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) LG Flatron E2442 (main - 24in 1080p)
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal Edition)
Power Supply XFX Pro 650W
Mouse Steelseries Siberia [RAW]
What about this build, replacing the i7 4770 with a 4790/4790K when they're released.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($259.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($709.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2153.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This price doesn't include the price of your monitor, whichever one you choose.

Thoughts?

Layton

System Name UnMort
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H rev 1.1
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 780 GHZ
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB & Western Digital Black 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case NZXT Phantom 630
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Give this thread a look if you are still trying to gauge wattage use.

No great shakes, but you can tighten the RAM timings and lower the voltage.

If it's available at comparable cost, I'd grab this Corsair set and lose the Kingston.

Regardless, remember to account for CPU cooler clearance issues if you don't want to deal with AIO water.

Enjoy!

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
I'll just throw this in here:

Let's say you guys are in my shoes. You want a high end gaming pc with no worries about the budget or any professional needs. What would the components be for you? You can include the new haswell refresh CPU's.

And to avoid retarded setups like a 5000€ machine (let's be realistic here), the geforce Titan is out of the question. The factory OC'd 780 Ti is already more powerful than Titan Black with 500€ less price...
What would the components be for you?
Well here I go:
Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/MAXIMUS-VII-RANGER
CPU: Intel Haswell i7-4770K http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/BX80646I74770K
CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-U12S http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/NH-U12S
Ram:
Kingston (2x8GB) HyperX Fury Red http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/HX316C10FRK2/16
GPU: Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 TI ROG Matrix http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/MATRIX-GTX780TI-P-3GD5
SSD: Samsung 256GB 840 Pro Series http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/MZ-7PD256BW
HDD:
Seagate 2TB Barracuda, SATA III http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/ST2000DM001
PSU:
Seasonic 750W S12G-750, 80 Plus Gold
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/FD-CA-DEF-R4-WH-W

TOTAL: 1970 euros.