1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a new rig. Need advice for RAM.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by DarkAnbu, Dec 9, 2010.

1. DarkAnbu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm building a m-itx computer and I have everything I need except for my RAM.

Build so far:
    Case: Silverstone SG-05 (450w version)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
    CPU: Core i5 760
    Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB
    RAM: ??

I'm trying to figure out what RAM I want to get. I'm set on 4GB but I don't know if I should pay extra for RAM rated at 1600. Right now I'm looking at A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB DDR3 1600 or CORSAIR XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 for around $60. They both look like solid RAM but I'm on the fence. Would RAM rated at 1600 make enough of a difference to justify the higher price? Should I go ahead and buy one or go find a better price for DDR3 1333? I'm open to suggestions for other memory. :)
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think if you are not overclocking, then the ram speeds will not matter as much, but then again, the price difference between a 1600 and a 1333 is going to be quite low anyway, (about $10?), so getting the 1600 just in case you feel like trying to overclock or something. From what I heard (but don't quote me on this), Intel likes fast ram, while AMD likes tight timings. Corsair XMS3 is a solid choice in my opinion.
    DarkAnbu says thanks.
  3. DarkAnbu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Fourstaff. I'm going to go for 1600 ram. Any other suggestions from anyone?
  4. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    You're doing fine. I always say if you're going lynnfield, get 700 series and clock it.

And to that point, I would suggest getting a good CPU cooler. Something in the class of a prolimatech megahalems, if it will fit in that case.