1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a new workstation and need advice on platform

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by LordJummy, Dec 8, 2012.

1. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm planning on building an up to date workstation, and giving my current workstation to my brother to help him with his work.

Current rig is in my signature. Do you think I will get a significant improvement over this machine? It's performed beautifully without a single hitch. If people tell me it's not worth the upgrade, I will wait for the next generation intel platform.

Anyhow, I'm a little out of the loop at the moment. I am thinking about building on the Z77 platform, unless there is some significant advantage of going with X79 ( I know the 2011 chips are very powerful, but the 3570K seems like a really good price/performance fit for me ). My work is mostly GPU and RAM intensive, although I do need a good CPU (super high end not necessary).

I am thinking I will pair the 3570K with a Z77 board. I need the ability to have 3 way crossfire, and want something with great value. Something with high quality onboard audio would be good. I would love to hear some personal opinions on this.

I normally buy corsair memory, but not sure if there's a better route there for price and performance?

I can get a really great deal at microcenter on the 3570K, and I will automatically get something like $70 off the mobo.

I am interested in personal experience & opinions on this. Do you use a similar setup?
  2. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I think getting a 3570k as a workstation cpu might be a downgrade from what you currently have (4threads vs 12) i say stick with what you have untill intel has an 8 core desktop cpu.
    LordJummy says thanks.
  3. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just out of curiosity, would it even be worth it to go X79 + a 3930K or similar? I do have a lot of second thoughts telling me it's not worth it. To be honest I feel like I get plenty of performance. This idea is mostly to help out my brother, but I also don't want to spend the money if it's not going to be a significant improvement.

OH I just realized it's the 3770k I was looking at. I don't know why I was saying 3570k
  4. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    a X79 + a 3930K will cost you quite abit and will only be around 15% faster at most.
    LordJummy says thanks.
  5. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm :( that sucks. It's sad that I want to upgrade but there's not anything really worth it.
  6. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    That's what you get for buying smart :p

Seriously, though, the i7 970 still packs quite a punch, especially in productivity apps, and you'd need to invest a lot to net any significant gains over it.
    LordJummy says thanks.