1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

building from LFS

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

Ive been using Linux Distros for about 6 years now and i want to roll my own so I'm trying LFS.
    What is the best Environment for the Desktop? i have heard of FWDM or something like that.
    I am looking for tips and such.

Thanks in advance! I'm building in VMware on Debian 6.0.3 (er something i know it is 6)

2. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Try XFCE. I don't have any real reasons or much education about it, but it's what all the cool kids are doing from what I hear.

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    unless you are planning too develop your own linux distro down the road or you are paid quite well as a linux developer, there is no reason to even attempt LFS. the setup is designed for comp science guys who are willing to screw with the C code in the actual kernel.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  4. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to develop a distro for ancient ass hardware aka Socket A and Celeron (celery) type procs and associated Hardware. I was thinking the FVWM or something along the lines of E17 custom interface ^_^. I have tried UCK and Reconstructor and Remastersys. none seem to really work the way I would like them to. Aka, install codecs and software and such then set the wallpaper and drivers etc like ubuntu ultimate edition ultimateedition.info

Any suggestions?

FVWM-Crystal (preferred WM)

[​IMG]

5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    any progress on this?

6. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    nope not really. Trying to find a more non-programmer background approach. Maybe Ill try slax or gentoo?

7. chamaecyparis

chamaecyparis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just as a suggestion, why not try Salix 13.37 Fluxbox and choose the Basic install?
    The config files for the GUI are like using a text editor to write macros in Fluxbox -- quite easy once done. Really quite configurable.

Slapt-get is much like apt-get if you've used Debian-based distros.

Best wishes and "once you've learned Slack, you won't go back," as the saying goes!

8. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Can i enable .deb support in it?

9. chamaecyparis

chamaecyparis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don' know why my last post was not published, but the Linux utility alien allows for what you ask!

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Just wanted to point out that there is a literal assload of distros that do this already. (maybe not an assload but a bunch of them anyway. Also you probably know this, I'm just sayin')

11. chamaecyparis

chamaecyparis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Part of the fun of Linux is doin' things just cuz ya want to -- more power to you, OP!

Recently, I came across a Debian-based distro that may be another place to start your project -- bachata linux.