1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building Mini-ITX budget NAS

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Kursah, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Looking into doing this, I am thinking I want to go with a Rosewill LINE-M mATX case and an ITX setup Intel or AMD flavor. A coworker told me to try Linux for NAS duties versus FreeNAS. Thoughts?

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...47166&RandomID=131586914614620120140726082839

I am thinking I want a mATX/ITX board that has 6 SATA ports, but I'll only use 4 for now. That way I have room to expand when needed.

I am on a tight budget...so I might even start out with 2 drives, this case and cpu + mb. I have a CX430 PSU, 4GB DDR3 1600 already. Just need to pick drive(s) and size, CPU/board/cooler combo with integrated video.

I am looking for low-power usage too...something that tucks out of the way and runs quiet and efficiently.

I have read a few guides and really might have to piece this together over the coming months...but it's time I do something...sick of failing USB HDD's.

:toast:

2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received: