1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building my first cheap Linux computer

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Stephen, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Stephen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm finally almost ready to buy the parts so I thought I'd post now.

I'm going to build my first computer. I've set myself a budget of $400 (Australian dollars) and am going to use Kubuntu 8.10! I'm pretty much just doing it for the experience (I want to spend around $2000 next year on a good computer) but I'll also be using it.

Anyway, here's a list of the parts I'm going to buy. I just wanted to know if they would all work together and with Kubuntu.

Case: Asus TM-220 - $63
    Motherboard: Asus M2N-MX SE Plus - $77
    CPU: Sempron LE-1250 (2.2 ghz) - $54
    RAM: 2 of some G.Skill 1gb PC2-6400 - $52
    HDD: Some Samsung 160gb one - $76
    DVD drive: Some lite-on one - $44
    And delivery is $31 which all comes to $397.

The case comes with a 300w PSU (yeah I know I shouldn't use it but if anything goes wrong it's my fault). If you want to recommend me something different then please get it from www.skycomp.com.au and not newegg (we don't have one) and also make sure it keeps in my $400 budget if possible.

So will that all do for Kubuntu? I was also wondering if I should save myself a bit and go with just 1 gb of ram and the 2.1 ghz Sempron?

2. Stephen New Member

Thanks Received:
    K I see no ones interested

But is the Palit N61S mobo any good? I've changed to that one because it seemed pretty good and because they won't be getting the Asus one in for 3 weeks.

Should've also mentioned that I'm using integrated graphics

3. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how Kubuntu is but if it's not too different from Ubuntu then that Sempron won't cut it. You need a good processor for that OS. Try to get something better.

4. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also wouldn't skimp on RAM if you're short of money - that's not really a viable option
    how about puppy/whatever small distro linux if Ku won't run?

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that hard drive is a ripoff.. i got a 750GB drive for $99 the other day, and that was locally.

6. Stephen New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine has an old Athlon XP which I think is 1.8 ghz and 768 mb ram and he can run Ubuntu 8.10 perfectly.

Yeah I know the hard drive is a rip but it's still cheaper than anything you'd find around Launceston in Tasmania!

7. kyle2020 Guest

Can i ask, whats this linux rig's purpose? Is it for everyday use or a downloader, what?

8. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    When I build a server now, I always go dual, or quad core, but LOW POWER and LOW CLOCKS. Why? Well you dont need a blazing fast server... since you are bound my the LAN anyway, BUT, if you want to run some services, like OCR and PDF generation, a dual or quad cuts the work quickly and the server is STILL AVAILABLE to other users. Consider getting some second hand stuff, and machine a passive cooler Q6600 underclocked to lower temps. (just one example). An underclocked Q6600 still has massive amounts of power for a little server. (NAS, email, FTP, web, services, OCR, etc.)

If your server will only do simple stuff then you could try one of those dualcore atoms for a bit of fun.

9. Stephen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just for everyday use really. Internet pretty much. I'm also going to install Apache, PHP, MySQL etc (no one will be able to access it though, not making a server or anything).

10. kyle2020 Guest

In that case id just recommend a cheaper/higher capacity HDD and a more beefy processor. Something like an E2180 would be great! Cheap too!

11. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    +1 on the e2180