1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building my first computer (ish)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Nokiacrazi, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi.

I am thinking of getting a new computer. I will need a Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU and a Case for it all to fit, nice and comfortably.

Basically, will be for gaming and watching full HD blu-ray stuff, potentially 3D. Games such as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (yet to release), Call of Duty Black Ops, and other DX11/DX10 titles to come. Obviously these will be very taxing.

I will not be doing any encoding. I will not be doing any hardcore overclocking. I might do a little CPU clockin' depending on what CPU it is and the potential performance overhaul.

My budget. A tricky area. Basically I'd like to spend as little as possible, for the best performance as possible (who doesn't). But really, I'd like to stick to £400-£600.

I have narrowed down my CPU to either the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz 9MB Cache Socket AM3 Retail Box Processor or the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB L3 Cache 125W Retail Box Processor

I have read and read reviews/threads etc, but I am no closer to deciding on which one I should have. Of course it also depends on the system...

So for the motherboard, I would like it to have DDR3 1600MHz compatibility, up to 8GB, with 4 slots (thats pretty much standard now, isn't it). I would like it to have 4x PCi-E slots in-case I want to have multiple graphics cards.

The RAM, I am thinking OCZ, mainly because I think it's good for performance/price. About 4GB would do I think, but read on to decide. Not too bothered about timings, as I don't think they make too much difference. Basically I think 1600MHz would do?

The graphics card! I am still going to hold of the system until the Radeon HD 69xx is released because Im seriously considering that. But I would think the Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual Mini Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card would suit my gaming needs for now anyway. If needed I could always get another one of those, since it does well in tesstilation?

PSU im thinking 750W so its futureproof i guess?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. If I have been unclear about ANYTHING (more than likely) then please ask and I will clarify.

Also, please ignore all my waffle, if you so wish and just decide on a decent setup.

Thanks in advance.

2. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    if you must go amd the 1090T is the only cpu to have the 1055t is not as good at all by far and really why get something you will have to upgrade in 6 months. personally I would get an intel i7-8XX as they outperm amd's by a good margin
    timings matter a lot honestly a lot more then some realize. i would only get 1600mhz ram if its cas8-8-8 or lower preferably lower oterwise there is no point in getting 1600mhz ram you may as well get 1333mhz
    the 6870 will play any of those games with good frames i would definately add one later on though for some crossfire goodness. to hell with waiting for the hd69XX cards they will be out of your budget anyways

a GOOD 750w is plenty if you get a crappy brand go for 850w but the psu is what you want to buy the most high end you can, it sucks having a crap psu that hardly powers your system

3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    you looking for something like this?

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    btw, I went ahead and put the 850 watt corsair in there because it was only £7.98 more than the 750 watt corsair

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  6. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sort of. I don't need any HDDs, and I would never pay that much for a PSU, surely there must be good reliable ones for under £40?

Also, I have looked at that motherboard. Boy I know its a beast, and I am so temtped...But really it is quite alot to pay for a motherboard, I would really rather pay no more than £75 for the motherboard.

That price is less than the 1055T on that website. Why might that be? :eek:

Thanks for help so far, continue to contribute please!

7. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    You could save £60-£70 by going with an i5-760 + P55 motherboard.

Seriously, games don't need 6 cores. The gain from going from 3 to 4 cores is minimal. And unless you are doing some intensive thread-heavy computing when you're not gaming I wouldn't bother.
    Don't get me wrong, the AMD hex-core processors are great, but for your needs I don't see you needing one. The i5-760 vs X4 970/965 is a no brainer. At stock they are equivalent, but the i5 blows it away when overclocking (it's not as hard as you might think - with a half-decent cooler). Also, the i5 uses less power and is therefore cooler.

Also, are you concerned about noise? Might be a factor to consider when getting a case and power supply (and GPU and CPU cooler, lol).

EDIT: the £60-£70 saving is compared to BarbaricSoul's price-list.

8. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:

I agree with a lot of things you have said.

I would be more inclined to go with the X4 965 and AMD motherboard simply because I would like comparability for crossfire in the future.

For noise, I am not too concerned. Obviously I would like it to be as quiet as can be, but I don't mind too much.

Also, if I do get crossfire 6870s for example, would I need additional fans/coolers? I doubt I would ever overclock any graphics cards or RAM, but I might tweak with the CPU a little bit.

9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I can not emphasize this enough, DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY. The power supply should be considered the backbone of your computer. If it fails, more than likely it will fry someother part of your computer, like the motherboard, RAM, proc, or video card, or possibly, ALL OF THEM. Think about it? Is it really worth risking all your hardware by trying to save £40-50. Everyone on this site will agree with me about the power supply also.

Now you might be able to go with a less expensive PSU, but in the power range your talking about wanting, your gonna end up spending atlest £70 for a "decent" power supply. Corsair power supplies are some of THE BEST.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Good point. Socket 1156 is almost superseded, AM3 still has a couple of years left in it I imagine.

Some power supplies are noisier than others, so you should factor this into your decision because changing a noisy power supply in the future is not as cheap or easy as getting a quieter cpu cooler. I'd stick with the stock CPU cooler for now, but if it bothers you in the future or you want better cooling for a better OC, then that is something you can look at.

No you should be okay if the case has decent airflow, which most do these days.

11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    different website have different prices. I'm in the United States, so I don't know all the different sites that sell to Europe. Ebuyer.com is one of the more popular websites that service the UK.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Ebuyer, Scan, Aria, Novatech; these are all good places to start if you're in the UK.

13. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it.

One last-ish question.

I have decided I need to change my monitor. It is at least 5-6 years old, still works fine, but since its the old type, it takes up far too much room.

It is a Samsung SyncMaster 793DF CRT 17".

Im looking to get a Samsung LCD monitor, that has full HD capability (pretty much standard isnt it), TV built in (maybe), all the rest doesn't really matter, although if it does 3D (dunno much about 3D screens yet) even better.

Basically would use it for FPS games, blu-ray, like I mentioned on the opening post.

Ideally 22-24"
    Contrast ratio - dunno, I think higher is better?
    cd^2/m^2? wtfs that? something about meters squared ? :confused:

ms thing? lower better?

Anywho, thanks again, if you can help with the monitor would be great!

14. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    There's a ton of good quality 24" LCD monitors that are relatively cheap on the market. Brands I would recommend researching:
    Dell
    Samsung
    Asus
    LG
    Hans-G

Google some monitor reviews and see what they say is really important and what is just BS(like Vista capable).

15. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which brands are generally best for monitors? (I know you are going to say theres not one brand thats just the best) but what monitors are really good at 24" LCD at reasonable prices.

Thanks.

16. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    This ^ and Benq has been really good for me. My tip tho: buy Dell, HP, Acer, etc. since they are just repackaging quality brand electronics in their own cases, and offer proper support if it kills itself.

Power supply? Corsair 600W 80+ 28A 12V single rail £59.99 delivered.

Once you choose your gear Google shop for everything to get best prices (still stick to respected sites though). That power supply is £63.90 delivered from Scan for example.

Edit: Power supply cheaper sill on Ebuyer with free delivery option £54.51

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  17. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I was mentioning which brands to look at, theres tons of reviews out there to help your decisions.

18. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again. Sorry for my mis-reading.

Purely on gaming - which performs better.

The x6 core, or the x4 black edition ?

EDIT: Also, which of these two are the better for a AMD/Crossfire build?

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula or Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5?

EDIT2 : are there any 700/750+ power supplies that are crossfire ready? or specificly for AMD/ati builds?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  19. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'd go with the ASUS C4F or, if money is an issue, I'd get their M4A89GTD Pro/USB as that's just as good and cheaper, just doesn't have the awesome aesthetics.

As for the CPU and gaming, it really does depend on the game you're going to be playing. Recent articles suggest that dual core CPUs, even though they're "enough" they're starting to show their age and that quad cores probably offer the best value for money.

I'd find it hard to not get the X6 and if you can justify the price then go for it, otherwise an X4 would be more than adequate.

20. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
  21. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I seriously wouldn't recommend purchasing a non-brand or poor PSU. The PSU is the heart of your PC without a decent one (that will last years) you'll suffer the hard way.

22. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I want to ban you for saying that.

Watch this, then tell me if you still want a cheap psu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I understand the errors of my way now :banghead:

Thank you very much :respect:

Anyway - thinking of going like this for a PC

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - AMD 890FX
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 - Black Edition
    OCZ DDR3-1600MHz PC3-12800 (2x2GB) - Black Edition Ready
    Corsair 650W TX Series PSU

I am going to stick with my Radeon HD 3870 for about 2-3 weeks, and hope that the 6870 prices come down, and then purchase that. If the price doesn't come down I am still going to buy it.

Also - haven't decided on a case. Im thinking about the CoolerMaster Storm Scout. Only drawback is that it doesn't seem to have USB3 ports on top? Or at all? Can anyone inform me?

Or give me a better case? :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  24. Achilles1600

Achilles1600 New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. Nokiacrazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm dont really like that case tbh. id would be so ideal if that CM storm scout case had atleast 1 usb3.0 port on the front.

Is it possible to find an adapter or something which does USB2.0 to USB3.0?