1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building PC, need help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Heldelance, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Hey people, I've recently put together my computer but I've also discovered a few problems (This is the first computer I've ever put together).

(Check out my sys specs to see what hardware I'm working with)

First problem.
    I'm not entirely sure if I've wired the leads from the case properly. I've wired them all with the writing facing to the bottom of the case. (They have a triangle and an S but the manual never said if that was the pos or the neg) My main problem is that the Power LED (blue one) isn't ever on, it's the red one that seems to now act as the Power LED.

Second problem.
    I've go those USB ports on top of my case, I've attached their leads to the USB headers (or whatever they're called) on my MOBO, problem is, it still doesn't work.

Third problem. (Possibly a software problem)
    I've got a Kingston 512 MB usb stick, I insert it in the back USB ports and the computer detects it but then it goes "Device not recognized" or something. Strange thing about this is, my portable hdd is being detected and works fine.

Thanks in advance.

2. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    case wires are always tricky to figure out and most times you have no manual to follow.

basic rules are all the ground wires are usually the same color (white on mine) then the color of the other wire is random with no color code at all so it just depends on what device it is.

trace out the wires if they dont say what they are and then follow the motherboard manual (you might have to go online to get it for some boards) to connect them to the correct pins.

pin location is usually bottom right corner but not always and some boards put the sound and mic pins over by the back panel.

as for the usb try double checking the wires, you should have a data1+, data1- on on one row and data2+, data2- on the other row. some boards need you to go into bios and turn on the usb hubs so check that.

the not recognized can be fixed by , with it plugged in, going to control panel "add hardware" tell it to install new hardware to install drivers for it but its easy to forget to install drivers for other things as well so tell us have you downloaded the motherboard drivers and then updated them? have you installed your video card drivers and updated it?
    have you installed all the windows updates and service packs? its easy to overlook things so double check everything. drivers are the most common reason things dont work right.

3. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Will do, gonna recheck everything once I get home.

4. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I had the same thing with the USB on my first build check specs if you want to know what it is.I had the USB for the front of the case plugged into the Firewire header that caused the windows problem for me even using the back ports and the USB didn't work in the front you may want to check that.

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    #1 face em up...usually how they go ,and would explain some of the issues, also use kekars color code advise , as he is right on with that!

#2 may be same problem try to invert/flip the connection and see if front usb's work then.

#3 not to sure ....should pick up thumb drive with no issues (my DFI does pick em up with no drivers installed)

6. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Could be the stick itself, ah well, gonna have to give it a look-see. In any case, I'll be getting my Antec 900 this weekend or by next weekend so I might as well get it professionally done. (It doesn't matter if I leave the headers as they are does it? Or would it cause damage to them or the board?)

7. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    unplug everything and let him do it so you know its all hooked up right.

when you get home write down color codes and pin locations then you have a reference guide to always go back to.

if your paying someone you make damn sure he shows you everything working before you leave so you dont get home and find stuff still dont work.

they are famous for only fixing what you tell them too lol. but those so called professionals are not professionals, they've just done it before is all.

its easy and you can do this if your not afraid to spend a little time reading the manual.

8. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Heheh, I read the tutorial on setting up a PC like 5 times over, I read the manual constantly but I remember a constant thought when trying to connect the thingies... "WHERE THE HELL DOES IT SAY WHICH WAY IT GOES!?" :p

9. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

this may help I downloaded you manual from Gb's site

10. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    there you go, all the ground wires go on the right hand side.

now in the event that you end up with the wrong connecter (you might need a 3 pin plug and you have a 2 pin)
    if you find that then let us know but it should be simple and straight forward now.

if you have mic wires or audio jack then find the diagram for those wires at the website like sneekypeet did for you.

do the same for usb jacks, building a computer is about as hard as making lunch, all you need is the ingredients

11. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
  12. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    hang in there Heldelance we'll make a computer tech out of you in no time

13. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I've got the manual, I've read it several times, it's just a matter of figuring out which side of the cord is positive or negative. I'm going to leave it for now (I can still play games after all) and when I get my Antec 900, I'll get my friend to build it for me while I watch how he does it. That way I dn't screw it up.

14. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    those tiny little chits are tough to see thats for sure lol.

i use one of those hinged magnifying light desk lights cause i cant read that small and i go crosseyed trying to see those itty bitty teeny weeny letters on those those itty bitty teeny weeny plugs lol.

they help if you ever got to read stuff on the board itself too, they well worth the $15 @ walmart.

after its all in place use scotch tape accross them so it becomes one plug instead of seperate ones then if you ever unplug them you cant mix em up, i used old plugs from other cases (without the wires naturally) to dummy off the unused pins so its now a solid plug accross the header wrapped in scotch tape. i cant get em wrong now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  15. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone. It's running all nice now (well, except for the Blue Power LED because I forgot to connect it again. DOH!)

The USB ports were fine, turns out my usb stick died (how the hell)

In any case, I think I've now got a far better hang of setting up a computer. I'm going to get an Antec 900 on the weekend and hopefully I can set it up right. (I should be able to now, I'll just take my time this time around.)

Again everybody, thanks.