1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bulldozer Information Thread.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AlphaStormX, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billcat479

billcat479 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my mind what is left of it has been made up

I'm glad to see the software side got some results. Made me very happy.
    And those benchmarks are a load of yuk in many ways. I know one cpu is faster but I got my 6 core BE AMD and darn the benchmarks because no matter what I read it's what I see and use that makes my world real. My system runs everything I give it very fast and how much more than that does anyone really need.
    I admire AMD's innovations that have led the home computer users systems for the last 5 or 10 years. Time is varible for me so I can't tell dates or time lines. Our 64bit home cpus that Intel shot down as long as they could, multi cores and instructions per clock cycle are AMD led. If we didn't have AMD around the computer world would be boring. We would still be using super hyped clock speeds that cook steaks and do it poorly on a single core. One thing Intel would not do is spend a ton on R&D if they don't have to and thanks to AMD they did have to.
    So this is why I'm buying AMD's next new cpu. I know it will run anything I throw at it just fine and dandy and I could care less about the benchmark scores. As long as I got a computer that computes well I'm going to be happy. And also give a little back to AMD for what they gave to us all. The ability to buy cheap cpus and fancy cpu's that used to be just in the domain of the supercomputers and mainframes and so on... Isn't this enough for some? But I try to take a nicer view towards a company that did have the user's interests at heart as far as I can read them. I may be wrong but so what. It's how I think about it and I fine with it.

scooper22, Heavy_MG and NC37 say thanks.
  2. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Yep, Intel may have performance leads more often, but AMD has innovated better over time and been a main reason for Intel to not relax too much. Without AMD, we'd all be on P4s or maybe something like the Core 2s. Think 64bit support was more or less forced on Intel when the 3GB memory limit started getting focus more.

Question in the next year or 2 is...will the pressure from the APUs finally cause Intel to get serious on their IGPs? Not only in hardware but also drivers. I'm doubting much change from Intel till APUs are in the 3rd gen. Public is not aware of the poorness of Intel graphics till they are faced with it. Even then, Intel is the name brand. But if APUs keep making a name for themselves and improve even more in the low end front, likely see Intel making some quick changes. I could see them doing some rather rash changes to chip design in an attempt to boost performance till they can refocus some better R&D onto it. Likely by 4th to 5th gen APUs, I Imagine we'll finally see some good head to head action in the low ends. Just don't see AMD losing to Intel graphics in the high end for awhile due to the more advanced Radeon tech.

AMD does indeed make the industry more interesting when they get a design right.

Heavy_MG and billcat479 say thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll remind some of you that this is a Bulldozer information thread and not a Bulldozer speculation thread. Any more off topic posts will result in moderators having to do some work.

Keep on topic.

4. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
    to sum up what we do know about BD is:
    It's supposed to be comming Sept 19th
    It's the top model is supposed to be priced and perform competitively with the 2600k.
    we don't know much else about it... other than a whole lot of simplified architechture slides, perf is a mystery.
    i wish there were atleast a trickle of info comming from amd about it

5. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    Not to be mean but I am going to correct some areas

• It's supposed to be coming soon
    • It has several model versions a 4-core, a 6-core and an 8-core version where they will be located in the Performance/Price and Power/Cost and Performance/Power/Cost benchmark trees is unknown till they come
    • We have the picture of the architecture and we have a software explanation of what said "Bulldozer" can be able to do but these numbers are "Yet to be Confirmed" numbers and other numbers are "Yet to be Caculated" numbers
    • Corporate policy prevents trickles of information from AMD

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    bucketface says thanks.
  6. Tank

Thanks Received:
    i don't care really even if Bulldozer does not beat sandy bridge i think it will do a good job of keeping up and that's good enough for me

roll on the 19th :)

7. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    So what we know is:
    1. Its made by amd
    2. Its name is bulldozer

Everything beyond that is either marketing or speculation. It was fun to make fun of bd but as we get closer to release, I'm taking it more seriously. This could be my next cpu, if it lives up to its claims. I buy what I want, dosent matter who makes it. I'll pay as long as its worth it and suits my needs. Now I wait for amd and the Tpu for reviews.

8. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Nope, the name FX, bulldozer is the nick-name.:)

ensabrenoir says thanks.
  9. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    The problem with all of those technologies is that they required you change media/form factor. Bulldozer runs everything that x86 runs.

And, your list really should have included itanium.

This will not happen.

10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
  11. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    its all speculation. It will be out when its out n I dont care about nothing till its ready for sale n in the hands of the testers here

14. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I actually hope it's true. I still need to get the Crosshair V to put it in.

15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    it was said to be releasing the 26th of this month. now its delayed to october. Glad ive just decided to go Sandy Bridge

16. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to head that way.

17. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    There are a million dates floating around. All from "reliable" sources. They can't all be true.

18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    But...But...But...then one must be, right? :laugh:

19. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    Yes, one date is right. But that means that 4,374,658,823 posts stating that they know the date have to be wrong.

Based on that, you are best off to not believe any of the "I have it on good information" threads. After all, how many people said it was today? People are getting too caught up in the speculation and can't tell truth from fact at this point.

Heavy_MG, bucketface and Damn_Smooth say thanks.
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Not too sure why though. It's pretty simple. If it's not on the AMD website, it's not real. I've been saying as much for a while now.

It does seeems like some really weird hype. Not too sure what the deal is, as I know nothing, but I cannot wait for the CPUs so we can "part the waters" so to speak, between truth and reality.

All I know is that you haven't sent me a flat of chips yet. :laugh:

21. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    nothing official....but dont believe everything else

At this point ..... its all the same.

22. Tank

Thanks Received:
    i'm still sticking to the 19th as that's the only date that has been confirmed by AMD thus far.

23. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I remember AMD presented that slide that said the BD CPU's would be out in 60-90 days, meaning it would launch at earliest in mid-August, and at latest in mid-September. That was the only real "date" that was set in stone by them. But if it does in fact launch in October, that would mean that slide was incorrect, and AMD either lied, or delayed it.

24. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    I got an invitation from AMD yesterday for the AMD Fusion Zone Cocktail Reception at Yerba Buena Terrace at the St. Regis San Francisco. AMD says, and i quote:"We'll be making an historic announcement, and want you to be a part of it."

Maybe, just maybe, the NDA gets lifted then...

Oh, the date is the 13. September...fingers crossed...

25. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Fixed. Joke.