1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bulldozer-Worth the wait?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by kciaccio, May 23, 2011.

1. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have started building a new computer. Probably take two more months to fully complete.

Buying the parts in stages. I have the case. Buying the power supply next, then the memory ect.
    Probably buying the motherboard and CPU last.

I don't plan on gaming on it a lot, but I multi-task a like with ENCODING, converting videos, supporting ORB and Airvideo for friends ect.

I currently use an AMD Athlon IIx4 630 O.C. to 3.22 and 4 gigs of DDR2 O.C. 1066.

Is it worth the wait to get the Bulldozer CPU?

2. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is literally 30 days from now, 'till the launch of AMD's new line of Multi-core Processors.

It sure is worth the wait! You should get the biggest bang for your buck and become future proof for the next 5+ years!

I'd say a 6-Core Bulldozer will be the ultimate choice for Price/Performance ratio!

Or you can even get a Phenom II X6 1100T, as the Phenom II 6-Core CPU's will definitely
    drop in prices when Bulldozer comes out - so a lot of savings there!

kciaccio says thanks.
  3. Doherz New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your doing your build over time definately wait.

I know its not easy but it will be worth it. I'm currently having to force myself not to buy a phenom 2 which look attractive due to the price drops.

Simple thing is bulldozer should push phenom prices down and if its good should offer parity with Intel's sandybridge. If its really good it will beat sandybridge and knock all prices down. So even if your not able to afford bulldozer the effect on the market should change prices on most things favourably.

4. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yes you should wait, if anything this is the only time period with tech that you should wait to buy something. Because once you decide to buy a 1100T a month will fly by and you would have wished you waited. My 0.2

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Food for thought: pickup your motherboard & ram over the next month or 2. That should get you a 9 series AMD chipset & ddr3. That will also allow you to run your current cpu on that board.

6. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    id wait for 6months before jumping on this one for sure.

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah, if it just about 3 months or like that i better waiting for the newer one

8. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I hope this doesn't end up like their HD 5000 launch, where it debuted at a decent price, then skyrocketed and then stayed at that level until 6000 came out :eek:
    I will be getting a new CPU/MB/RAM, but time will tell when. I'd hate to buy it then see the next week it drops $20-$30 :(

9. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I know we have flocks of bulldozer fans, so please don't beat me up. This processor does sound good, but I have no doubt Intel with make another chip to overshadow it like they always do. Always more expensive as normal, but we know how this back and forward with them goes.

10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It is never worth waiting for technology because the moment the "new" stuff comes out, it is already old.

Personally, I don't have much faith in Bulldozer being competitive with Sandy Bridge. Even if AMD manages to make a chip faster than Sandy Bridge, Intel has tons of headroom with their clock speeds so they can counter very fast.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats why i dont like to buy high end cards :D

12. toastem2004

toastem2004

Thanks Received:
    I can say from the intel presentaion i saw just last week, that Ivy Bridge is not till "1H'12" and that the only CPU's they plan to launch the rest of the year is the Celeron, Sandy Bridge Pentiums, and an i7-2700k 4Q'11. There will be the 2011 launch 3Q'11, but they will only be 6c/12t & 4c/8t , the rep clearly stated that intel did not see the need for 8c cpus in the consumer market.

So OP, defiantly wait. Its hard, cause im doing the exact same thing as u, except im waiting to buy till the HD7xxx series is out.

13. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's nice to hear that someone knows how much headroom Bulldozer will have. Do you mind filling the rest of us in?

14. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    LOL if the 4 core BUlldozer unlocks I think that will sweep all the prizes in the VFM category...!!

15. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    You have to wait to find out if it's worth the wait. ;)

Myself, I see three possible upgrade paths. Go with X58, go Sandy Bridge, or Bulldozer.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of AMD becomming competitive with the Intel platforms above. It's been a long time since I've built anything but Intel. But no one will know until benchmarks and reviews are released.

I am in no hurry and content with waiting a few weeks. :D

16. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm banking on Bulldozer being exactly on Par with Sandy Bridge, so really,
    you're paying the extra $20 or $40 for 2 more cores (I'm only referring to the 6-Core versions).

Do you guys think the 2 extra cores is worth the extra dough?

17. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what you do with your PC. For just gaming, it's not really needed right now. But someday, developers will actually take advantage of more than 4 cores and you will see a big difference then.

18. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    There's no reason to wait if you are building a budget PC. Newly released parts, like Bulldozer, are always going to be more expensive then stuff that's been out for a while. If your goal is to have the best PC money can buy, then you should wait for Bulldozer. If your goal is to just build a great value PC, the only thing that waiting for Bulldozer is going to do is make it cheaper for you to buy current CPUs and the like.

Take all the "wait" advice with a grain of salt.

kciaccio says thanks.
  19. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I agree.
    Mainstream Bulldozer CPU's won't see the light for at least another 3-4 more months after the enthusiast parts are launched. I'd say if your going for a low power system, do it NOW.

20. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    You could buy used & get a great deal on the AM3 setup from someone that has upgraded to AM3+

21. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    As much as I would love to support AMD (Actually I do as far as graphics cards) I just don't think AMD can "Bulldoze" an overclocked 4 core 8 thread i7-2600k. i7-2600k's are stable at 4.5ghz++ and AMD chips haven't been as great as far as overclocking potential since the opteron 165-170's. If it is, I WILL buy and run it =).

Given the above, I'd grab an Asus Z68 Vanilla or Pro and an i7-2600k with an aftermarket cpu cooler.
    When Bulldozer arrives, you can compare benchmarks.
    If it isn't as great, the mobo will be able to support the Ivy's with a bios flash.

Or you can wait 30 days or so but I think I'll probably be right...

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  22. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess that is the cross roads I am at, the motherboard. Will the MB be compatible with the Bulldozer CPU if I go with a non-Bulldozer chip right away?

23. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    There are 6 AM3+ boards available now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think AM3+ boards are intended for Bulldozer "Zambezi" chips. I'm sure they come at a premium though.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    AM3+ (Bulldozer) CPUs cannot be placed into a NON-900 series chipset motherboard (albeit a select few motherboards that a few manufacturers are going to support with a bios update I think)....

AM2 AM2+ AM3 CPUs can be placed in a 900 series chipset motherboard.

25. random

random

Thanks Received:
    While that is true with all tech, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with this one for the OP's situation. For one that is only true when you buy hardware and something better is announced, in this case that something better has already been announced and will be released in a few weeks and I doubt Bulldozer 2 will be released a month after.