1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bulldozer's Turbo Core Technology

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by devguy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    I saw this posted on XS and I thought people here might be interested.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/2011/01/31/bulldozer-goes-to-11/

How cool is that? And it should be supported on client systems as well. Hopefully enthusiast motherboards will give us the option for setting those base/max frequencies or alternatively let us as consumers specify the max TDP for the processor (allowing the turbo core to adjust itself). On the other hand, that functionality might be what the FX moniker will be for.
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    how-to-get-around-intel-patent(tm)
  3. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    What's interesting is that in the several jobs I've had (in different geographic locations), they all seem to do a good job of keeping the server room at a constant cool temperature year-round. Now I don't know if all places do that (and mind you keeping a room below 60F in July in Austin is not a cheap feat), but it would seem to me that governing based on power draw would be more efficient in the server space than by temperature.
  4. JF-AMD AMD Rep (Server)

Thanks Received:
    The key on this is not just being easier, but also more consistent. With Turbo CORE you get more consistent modeling because your workload should have pretty consistent power consumption. But, depending on environmentals, the temperature could vary wildly in different locaitons, meaning that you would get different performance based on the room that you were in. Not as helpful when you are trying to set performance levels in different locations. Even in the same room.