1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BulletStorm is coming...

Discussion in 'Games' started by zowned, Jan 7, 2011.

1. zowned

zowned New Member

Thanks Received:
    LifeOnMars and Scheich say thanks.
  2. jellyrole

jellyrole

Thanks Received:
    Saw this game on Gamestops website last night, looks pretty fun.

3. zowned

zowned New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember Psychosis? Bulletstorm is what that game *should* have been ;)

4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  5. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
  6. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    unreal engine sucks......[H]ARD :D

/end comment

7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    In what way does the unreal engine suck? It's such a versatile engine which can cater for both high end and low end rigs with it's customisable settings. And as far as AA goes, there are many ways to get around that.

Gas2100 says thanks.
  9. Gas2100

Gas2100

Thanks Received:
    +1, the unreal engine one of my faves below the source engine.

10. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep source is another great engine, my thoughts on Bulletstorm.....it's looking freaking sweet!!. Would be nice to have the other Gears of War games brought to PC though Cliffy :(

11. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. It uses deferred shading. So, we will have to rely on AMD or Nv for brute force AA support.

2. We almost always have to tweak the files manually to get certain features working like it should. In some cases there were games like: Transformers, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, etc which had an artificial FPS lock of 30. Sometimes we could edit the file ourselves. Others times we had to use a 3rd party hack program.

3. The engine they are using is completely and utterly dated. We've been awaiting the arrival of UE 4.0 for years. The reason for the delay? Well it's for next gen consoles. Leaving PC gamers out in the cold. However, it still not clear if it will support DX11 functionality or support the newer AA techniques like MLAA, etc. Which brings us to number 4.

4. Currently, no DX11 functionality.

So in all, there is a lot of reasons why people don't like UE.

As you can tell UE 4.0 appears to be ready for use. However, it's been held off for consoles. And you still want to defend him/UE for us PC gamers?

AltecV1 and LifeOnMars say thanks.
  12. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hate it when they use gravity fusion pistons. I use trans warp conduit based tritium pistons in my deep core drilling terminal.

Also, poop.

This game looks disturbingly linear. I hate linear.

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I think First Person Shooters are Linear in nature.

some journalist are saying the next console cycle might not be until 2014. Sony and Microsoft are making money hand over fist. I don't think there needs to be a graphics overhaul if they keep making games like Castlevania: Lord of Shadows, Alan Wake, Gears of War 2, Crysis 2, Fight Night Champion, Enslaved, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, etc.

Bioshock Infinite is scheduled for a 2012 release. inSane is scheduled for a 2013 release. some 2011 titles might get delayed until 2012. probably not wise to launch a multi-platform AAA title before a console cycle...

14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    In some ways, but not as linear as say the Call of Duty games (also depends on what kind of linear you mean). In the olden days you got lost pretty easily in a lot of FPS games. :(

15. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    right...looks like a little of Borderlands/Wolfenstein/Fallout 3 ..... looks promising

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    This game looks like what Quake should have been :) Not my type, but horror-funny

17. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't talking about a multi platform AAA title but the engine itself. How a gaming developer actually uses the game's engine is up to them. Furthermore, if UE 4 was released today we probably wouldn't see any games use it for year/years to come. But the issue is that the engine itself won't be released for PC until after next gen consoles are released. That puts the possibility of seeing any PC games from UE 4.0 for several years to come.

18. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I take your points on board about the fact it is outdated EastCoast but surely the positives still outweigh the negatives? It certainly doesn't suck. It's a highly optimised and adaptable engine which has and is, still serving it's purpose. Ulltimately it's how well crafted the particular game is that's using the engine which I am bothered about.

19. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    this is the original quote by Tim Sweeney

people misinterpreted it and got upset so Mark Rein set the record straight shortly after

20. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    The point I was making is that the PC is more diverse then the console. We as PC gamers are not stuck with old APIs, etc do to hardware limitations. I'm of the believe that if MS can be bothered improve their API then game developers should use it. Granted its not something we always see. But when there are note worthy improvements it should be taken into consideration. Right now (unless you or someone else links us) it's really not clear what exactly UE 4.0 will contain. I can only hope it uses some (if not all) the advantages DX11 offers.

No one misinterpreted what he said. As of yet he hasn't announced a release date for UE 4 (If he has by all means link me as I haven't seen it). But the truth is we are waiting for what appears to be a finished engine for no other reason here. Again, if it was released today we won't see it in a game unless they use it themselves or some other developer uses it. And that is still year/years to come.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  21. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    No it doesn't.

/end comment.

22. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    i also believe Unreal Engine sucks. Fact is its good enough for consoles but its dated on the PC almost every single UE game is still DX9 didnt we ditch that API supposedly back in 2006? The only reason everyone thinks its the great engine it is is because its so widespread which isnt a bad things its still better then alot of other game engines. But last i checked unreal games have a tendency to be mediocre. The fact is Unreal Engine 3 is 6 years old and hasnt offered anything truly new 2.5 still offers nearly identicle performance and image quality because we are still stuck with consoles. I wont hate on the engine for it running well as it scales pretty well in general. That said tho it dosent make great use of multi gpus, its using older tech that dosent fit in with new DX APIs aka 10 10.1 and 11 its now in use basically 3 APIs behind, Then again most Game engines fall within that same category. The major blueballs here is that UE 4.0 is for all intents and purposes 100% complete but a release to game developers wont happen as EPIC is waiting to see how the new consoles shape up in terms of hardware so the engine can be better tailored to those platforms. Overall if your a console gamer you probably dont care. But the fact i can get better visuals from a 10 year old game engine compared to UE3 kinda disturbs me. I mean god damn the game engine built into Blender 3D seems more advanced these days thats how old UE3 is getting.

Examples of why im not impressed with Epic

Bioshock 2 = UE 2.5 even older game engine based on there tech still looks better then most UE3 games yet the alterations to 2.5 for Bioshock 2 are minor and yet imagequality is still better
    Duke Nukem Forever = UE 2.5

As for the game Bullet Storm ooo gears of war with character that look a little less addicted to steroids but with huge creatures will probably be an average game that gets glowing reviews.
    so in general UE3 offers nothing new over UE2.5 in a graphics standpoint just a name and features that developers arent using to any real effect. Its stagnant.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Batman: Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, Enslaved, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect 2, Transformers: War for Cybertron are mediocre.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  24. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    well i do difference of opinion Arkham Asylum i feel was a piss drunk half assed port Borderlands was good for what it was but when it first released it was the most unstable buggy pos ive played online in recent memory litterally had to run it on Hamachi just to play the pos online for the first few months, havent played Enslaved, Gears of War 2 meh roid shooter that with co op was fun but aiming and other mechanics pretty much sucked in terms of effectiveness single player wasnt bad but felt boring due to the AI being dumb as nails, Mass Effect looked good story was good not a bad game to be sure but also suffers from retarded AI syndrome never played a game where my party members died so often because they love to run out from cover and get shot in the face repeatedly, havent played Transformers.

In General a game is only as good as a developer has time to make it but im kinda sick of seeing UE console ports that if that actually made the PC port effectively use DX10 rendering path would allow features like AA where as the typical port usually = no AA last i checked AA is a feature that has been around for over a decade in PC gaming but now its magically dissappearing because typical game engines today still stick to an ancient API thats dead.

Eitherway its a differing of opinions id rather see new tech get used im kinda tired of Direct X 9 thats in use for consoles is now officially in essence 8 years old its long in the tooth and old as a dirt its time to move on.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  25. phobias23

phobias23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    youre joking right?? WTF!!! GEARS OF WAR was brought to life through Unreal Engine. enough talking, back to your hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockout:
    Bulletstorm will be awesome with awesomeness:nutkick: