1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Burgled -- New laptop taken

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by dat789, Feb 15, 2012.

1. dat789

dat789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was last week and I'm still quite upset over this. Recently got a Sony Vaio and it was not even 3 weeks old when it was taken.

Are there any experts out there who can, with details of MAC address, etc., trace the location of the laptop (therefore, also the low life burglar)?

I mean what is the fate of stolen laptops besides the obvious sale.

The laptop runs on Windows 7 (64-bit) and is requires a passphrase at the logon screen. What are the first few steps to take before making the loot saleable?

ps. my passport was also taken. Seriously!?!! What good is it to the burglar?!
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    cut it open (cut on the side, along the thin paper), remove picture, insert osama's picture, travel freely. (put in microwave first if it has rfid biometrics)
  3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    He'll wipe the hard drive and reinstall 7. Most likely will take a backup beforehand so he can scavenge valuable files and information later.
  4. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:

Hi, sorry to hear this. It's a f***d up world. A guy I used to work with, if I recall correctly he could track laptops and such. Doesn't come free exactly, but reading that your pass was taken aswell, maybe I could persuade him. He still owns me some favours.

Did it all happen in London where you live?
  5. dat789

dat789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have come to understand that burglary and identity theft are two separate crimes and very few criminals specialize in both. It's more common that a burglar stays and develops a career in this line.

Agreeable?
  6. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    yeah he'll probably just sell the passport to the same guy who he's selling the laptop to. i interpreted the OP's question that he was wondering what evil people(tm) would use the passport for
  7. dat789

dat789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes. At my London (UK) place. If the cost to recover the material stuffs can lead to catching the criminal then it's worth it.
    the police had come around just for 'a chat', taken some details to lodge the case, and nothing.
    NOTHING!!

Gawd!

Is tracing MAC address possible??
  8. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    not over the internet, unless you install some kind of phone home software that transmits the mac address
    SaiZo says thanks.
  9. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised that mac info isnt included in Windows Update or something (and available to law enforcement and some Interpol IT offshoot). It would seam pretty obvious to do this - except for the privacy laws that forbid it :roll: LOL. The Human Rights of criminals, eh? Funny, the law will protect the big corporations and their IP and copyrights, but won't protect the individuals and their personal assets. Welcome to the future.

On a more practical note, can anyone recommend any "phone home" utilities?
    SaiZo says thanks.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    massive invasion of privacy issue there, and easy enough to fake/spoof.
    SaiZo says thanks.
  11. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    It's not the computer you should be worried about, it's the passport.
    Often police do not have the resources needed to find people.
    That's the reason in my house I have cameras, some you can see, some you can't.

Well, actually HP/Compaq, some of their business series systems have some security options, so if stolen you can trace the computer. And yes, this can be disabled before connecting to the net.
    I can upload a picture later and show you what I mean (even the computer/s) themself.
    Completely Bonkers says thanks.
  12. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    This things could be "opted in". ie original purchaser opts in to Windows Updates with mac address tracking. If mac address tracking is too easily spoofable then other tracking data, e.g. bios serial number could be used. The question is whether tracking could be done in a robust manner, and whether people/owners could opt in to the tracking system buried within the OS rather than having to buy and configure and lose on reformat an independent utility.

Corporate asset tracking would certainly be a market for this if the "consumer space" is too chicken at this time.
    SaiZo says thanks.
  13. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    i dont think this is possible with any system that someone else has physical access to.
    SaiZo says thanks.
  14. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    The police in London don't catch criminals, they just chat, ask questions and park anywhere causing traffic jams.
    Completely Bonkers says thanks.
  15. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:

Some systems have the security features built into BIOS. And I do remember that even when I removed the CMOS battery, I still could not change the settings on my HP for the tracing option, I had to enter my password to get the access to it.

Today, I think someone has figured out a proper way to go around it however.
  16. Vrgn86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This^ is not needed, with the right software the password can be changed without a reinstall!!
    Good luck with the police locating it.
  17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    but with all the tracking software today it would be SMARTER to do what Red Machine suggests than to try to use the existing os. i feel like we're giving criminals advice here though so that's it ;)
  18. dat789

dat789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That just sums up what they do precisely and accurately.
  19. dat789

dat789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL! Well, because the police are not doing any productive to go after these low-life burglars someone one does feel the need to take things into his/her own hands. Otherwise, the burglars will almost always win and the victims lose!
    :banghead:
  20. dat789

dat789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @SaiZo: Can you pull a favor from your friend? How will it be done?
  21. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Will they answer the question "Where can I find some hashish?" cuz I'll be there in three months... :p
  22. dat789

dat789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sure they do.. that's what they are there for. Also to guide tourists and give directions. Good luck!