1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Burnt a mosfet close to AGP slot, What now?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by sodacy, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sodacy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys. I guess power was not down completely when I tried to pull the card out of its slot (agp vga) I saw some sort of smoke on a mosfet on my p4p800-x. I did reset my pc and it worked :D what now? Do you think this will lead to a future problem or I will be just ok without that mosfet? Also there is one more of that mosfet close to the burnt one.

[​IMG] Code on it : APM2054N and some more that I cannot read. Do you think I should replace it with a new one?

2. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    rma it.... just say it came like that... if it is a new mobo....

chris

3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, shove it back on the manufacturer even if it's not their fault... that's great isn't it. Then when everyone does that the prices will go up.

Try and research into what it does before you worry, if nothing goes wrong in the next couple of weeks it probably doesn't matter much but I'd try testing the stability with Prime95.

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most likley will have an affect on the vid card. Also, it probably damaged another component involved in the same tracepath. Chances are you will need a new Mobo.

5. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt matter, thats just for voltage protection.

6. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Illegal RMA'ing is not tolerated. Don't advocate it, don't post that crap here.

Mosfets don't protect voltage, they regulate voltage....

7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    AMEN to that none of this BS RMA crap if you broke you fix it if you dont have the money sell it on EBAY

8. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    replacing components like capacitors and mosfats once they bust is a problem, because they rearly die alone, its very probable that other components on the board are affected, so if you replace it, and the board works, expect further problems down the road,

you might want to consider a replacment board, theres still 478 boards around,

9. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    the reason why i said that was that i doubt that a burnt mosfet could be caused by keeping the system plugged in while you worked on it. i have doen quite a bit of work on my pcs while they were plugged i nwith no problems. if a mosfet burned then chances are that it was the borads fault which means it was defective. i should have said this in my orig post.

chris

10. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

If he was pulling an AGP card out of the slot, its very likely he would kill something. All of the pins have a voltage of some sort floating around, and with pins like an AGP slot so close together, its not hard to connect them and cause a short...

Replacing it may be possible, but you will probably have to add an extra heatsink to it because you wont be able to resolder it to the mobo itself.

That, and yo'll have to find the right part. perhaps find someone that has that mobo and can take a macro shot of the fet and we could prolly find it somewhere online for ya..

www.mouser.com rocks. :)

11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    personally i always turn off the pc on the psu switch if i'm taking any cards out.

with a small enough iron,it mite be possible to replace it if you can find one.

12. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which is the #1 rule of PC maintenence... :roll:

Hopefully the mosfet isnt under the AGP slot, so he could have it standing up... soldering back to the mobo is definatly out of the question :ohwell:

Good luck

13. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same as. At minimum I turn of the PSU switch, 99% of the time I unplug the power cable. It really isn't so difficult and could save you a lot of hassle.

14. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    the only reason i leave the cable in is so it is still earthed through the lead.

15. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which is useful, assuming your plug is.... grounded.... :laugh:

However, its necessary to press the power button AFTER unplugging the PSU from the wall------ they often hold a charge after its off, and could still supply power!

Not uncommon to see a fan do half a rotation doing this.

16. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Metal oxide Field effect Transistors are usely used for there ablity to turn on and off at such a high rate of speed it runs cooler than a normal transistor its a current regulating (high/low amps) device. chances are it is part of the agp bus and I don't think it was long for this world ie it was weak to begain with RMA that puppy if I have to pay 20 cents more on my next board I dont care :D

p.s I have seen capacitors blow and I have seen things melt but I have never seen a vr a mosfet a transistor blow it has to be bad

17. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah, i see what you mean. i hadnt thought of a short.

chris

18. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

This isnt from overheating. Its from a short. He pulled the card out while it was on. This is not a matter of faulty components, it was pure user error. Read the post please, and Don't suggest illegal RMA's. :shadedshu

19. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    What you cant read? I explaned what a mosfet does and stated a fact that it was more than likely a weak mosfet so rma. what are you the RMA police? come bust me Ill win in court. I teach electronics I think I am in my element on this one.Besides don't you think the mother board makers know how to check their RMA's

20. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes rip off some unsuspecting slob on Ebay thats Good advice :wtf:

21. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    easy there strick, i dont think that dippy knows what he is talkign about....

chris

22. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Was just getting a chuckle thinking about how many overclockers on here RMA after melting stuff and this guy is on here saying stop the madness of RMA abuse :roll:

23. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well no one agree with it when people do that either. Most of the time you won't damage your PC overclocking it anyway unless you are stupid with the voltage.

24. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    apart from that, you probably rushed to pull the card out after switching off the computer...

25. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    What can't you read? As for RMA's, thats Illegal if it was his fault, and you would most definatly not win. Most manufacturers don't fight things, because they have no way of proving user error like this.

It smokes after he "thought it was off"

You can't overheat a mosfet when the computer isn't recieving power, genuis. RTFP!