• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bus interface issue

Mr_Madness

(hope im posting this in the correct place)
hi, i have been having issues in video games where i see AOE's incorrectly. what i mean
is i will get hurt from an AOE skill that is marked on the ground, but the AOE is displayed 5 to 15 feet away from my character so it looks like i am in a safe area. this only happens with the game WILDSTAR. i also play Rift, Diablo 3, Dark Age of Camelot, and Archeage with no issues. i have uninstalled and re-installed Wildstar and talked to their support but they are stumped.

i have a P6T SE motherboard and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 video card.

i ran the GPU-Z program and it showed my bus interface is only running at x8 instead of x16. (also did the render test, both small and full screens, still only does x8)
i checked my motherboards manual and it has 3 slots for my graphics card to go into, and it says the top and middle slots are both PCIe 2.0x16 at x16 link. i have tried both slots and there is no change.
i have also checked for driver updates and everything seems to be updated.

my friend told me it might be my motherboards settings in the bios, something like its only set to run at x8 because its an older board and that i need to change the setting to x16? i looked around in my bios but could not find anything like this.

so my questions...
1) could the bus interface issue be causing my AOE display problem? or is it something else? i heard this issue usually only slows down your frame rate by a small amount so i am not even sure if its the real problem.

2) if it is the bus interface (or its at least worth the time to fix it) what can i do to fix it that i haven't already tried?

3) anyone know where i would check to see if somethings set incorrectly in my bios? i am not even sure where to look in there. (i am not familiar with checking or changing bios settings at all)

thanks!

Here is the pic where i see my bus interface issue, anyone see any other issues?
bad.gif

here is a picture of what my issue looks like with my AOEs in games. as you can see the numbers floating over my head is the damage i have taken from that lazer AOE on the ground that i am clearly not standing in
game.png

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Welcome to TPU

wrong place for this as it dose not look like an issue with GPU-Z reporting the bus interface incorrectly; that said and out of the way.

If not effecting other games leave well alone; unless there comes a time you need to reinstall windows

If really need to try and *resolve the x16 bus interface
[*not that this will help that much as the BUS is not saturated with data at PCIe x8]
enter bios and write down the settings on paper that are on each page if not familiar with bios settings
  • enter bios and select default setup
  • ensure the motherboard bios is up to date
  • reseat the CPU, [while CPU is removed reset the motherboard bios]
  • reseat the vga card
  • ensure the motherboard chipset drivers are up to date
  • ensure windows is up to date
  • uninstall and reinstall vga drivers

Note: bus at x8 is not the issue: "getting hurt from an AOE skill that is marked on the ground, but the AOE is displayed 5 to 15 feet away from my character" most likely a software bug. [may even be a setting in the Nvidia control panel]

go here and fill in full system specs and OS for more assistance from the TPU community

atb

Law-II

Last edited: