1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buy a GTX 560 now or wait?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by qubit, Feb 11, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, we know that this will drop in price eventually and that something better will come along, so the time is always "now".

However, this line in W1zzard's review is making me wonder:

HERE

My gut instinct tells me to wait a couple of weeks or so. What do you think?

Also, low noise is really important to me and the reference card is exceptionally quiet in idle and under load.

So, I'm considering choosing between a reference model with the reference cooler and possibly the Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI which is overclocked and has an Ultradurable PCB, but probably won't be as silent. I'm open to suggestions for other models, though.

On top of that, it's currently on special offer at Ebuyer for a rather tasty £188.98. This is about a tenner less than other places and comes with free shipping, making it a bit of a bargain.

[​IMG]
  2. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whether you should buy it probably depends what you are using the card for.

If you do decide to, I would go with the Gigabyte card. That's a good deal, and you would probably to be able to overclock the Gigabyte card, if it isn't already, for free performance.
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Yea if you do buy the gigabyte try and get the Super Overclock at $269 ish and 1000core with the ability to hit 1030-1050 core its pretty damn sweet gpu especially since the cooler is good and quiet. If you can wait wait if not go for it. Its the nature of tech waiting means theres always something better but then your always waiting.
    qubit says thanks.
  4. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    The first GTX460SC I purchased was about $250.00 US. The second one, 6 months later was $200.00.

If you can wait till summer and there is more price pressure and more models from vendors then the price should drop enough to make purchasing reasonable. Plus I like to wait and see that any bugs are worked out.

I am considering an upgrade to twin 560's as well and I want to wait until the market is more flush and mature.

Waiting a couple of weeks is eazy, someone always has a sale or will discount if asked to.
    qubit says thanks.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I would actually wait for the Zotac AMP! GTX560. that think looks AMPED!!!!

there are easily better GTX460/560 cards other then the ones from evga. Evga does nothing to innovate their cards like MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, or Zotac which is a reason why i ussually step away from them now. There warrenty doesn't justify it as much as it use to to me.

Your not going to get a market much mature then it is right now. Both nvidia and Ati have fully utilized the 40nm node and each each generation of gpu released so far from GTX400 to GTX500 and HD5000 to HD6000 is only about 15 to 20% faster.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I don’t care what you think about EVGA…I didn’t even mention brand. I spoke to cost.

I'm not brand loyal. I have been looking at MSI for better cooling and Zotac for far out factory overclock. The others are solid as well.

My fans I find a bit noisy and they irritate me above 50%. I don't like the turbine fan design due to noise.

The market is not mature because not all variations are available...some new design variations will still come out/emerge for the 560.

I was not comparing brands or the competition between Nvidia and ATI …I own both brands.

The market is not monetarily mature because if a product doesn’t sell well at a price point it will change…and at this point it’s still full retail pricing given it’s a new product.

Blah, Blah, Blah, 20%:banghead:
  7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Wow, wait till summer? I'd go nuts! :laugh:

I guess a couple of weeks is a good idea though. What I'll probably do is get that Gigabyte 560 and a totally reference one, check out the noise on both cards and their FPS performance and then return one of them. All I will pay is a little shipping, which is worth it for something like this.

I would like a 580 of course, but I have to confess that the 560 is a better blend of price, performance and noise. Really, the 580 isn't all that much faster, given that it costs almost double.
    jsfitz54 says thanks.
  8. kiss4luna

kiss4luna New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think 6950 2GB may be a better choice for now
    but i really don't like AMD/ATi cards in my 6-year-ATI-experience from 2000 to 2006, so i bought 560 weeks ago
    and yes it is, the price of 560 is currently higher than what it should be
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Kiss, but I'm only considering nvidia cards nowadays, because they work more smoothly (as in less glitches) in my experience and it seems yours too.
  10. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Buy GTX560 and than wait :)
  11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    for middle to high end card that mostly come on reference layout i guess brand aint matter much, just look at the package that come with, oc version is nice but you need to pay more for some higher mhz
    i guess better wait for several months coz usually vga price will drop little especially when newer card come to market
  12. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Wait for what? The question is do I buy a GTX 560 now or later.
  13. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    I am just kidding, but your cpu frightens me so i thing upgrade your cpu and you will see a lot of differences with the card you have. Than upgrade your card in may.
  14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thanks. :toast: But next question... how does my CPU "frighten" you? :confused: I think we're coming up against a little bit of language barrier here, lol. :)

Do you mean that it's now too weak compared to modern ones? If so, then yes, it is quite "old" now and two generations back, but it still packs a fair punch at 4GHz+. And more importantly, I only have limited funds to use for upgrading. :cry:

And finally, I wouldn't buy into the new Sandy Bridge platform right now in case I get fobbed off with a first gen mobo with the faulty chipset. Definitely wait a month or two for those to be flushed out.
  15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Kepler 28nm Nvidia GPU coming out at the end of the year

well sandy bridge got recalled so i would hope to all hell you wouldnt get it.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    qubit says thanks.
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    hmmm... that's 10 months to a year away, a whole product cycle. A little too far away I think.

And anyway, it would deny a whole purchasing round of a shiny new toy and playing around with it. :D
  17. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Id get the Gigabyte 560 and never look back. they charge nothing extra on top of MSRP for an arguably better PCB and cooling solution, and factory OC from 822mhz to 900mhz.

I'd be willing to bet that given your sample isnt bad, it will clock to 950-1000mhz too.
    qubit says thanks.
  18. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    If the issue is still, Buy or Wait, then my vote is wait, at least a little while...month maybe. Like I first said, I am looking as well. For me it's a price issue. I don't have an emergency, my gear works fine. I like the new specifications but I can wait.

If you were independently wealthy, I don't think you would have asked the question to begin with.

The Gigabyte model you posted looks great, and is closer to what I have in mind for myself.

If you buy sooner and do a comparison, PM me and let me know how the sound level is at stock, 50% and 100%.
    qubit says thanks.
  19. kiss4luna

kiss4luna New Member

Thanks Received:
    considering the 560 performs equal to 470, you can get it right now
    i'm very satisfied with my Zotac GTX560Ti, which runs all my games very well @1920x1080+8xAA/16xAF@maxium settings. the only drawback of my card is the temp/noise control. the MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II will be a very ideal choice, by others' experience it's very cool and quiet and mostly can easily be oc to near 1GHz core at default voltage

YES, GET THE MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II NOW! if i were you :D:p:toast:
    qubit says thanks.
  20. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    meh still think the Gigabyte Superoverclock is best $269 with a better PCB and power circuitry damn good cooler and its clocked at 1ghz core out of the box and some are lucky enough to hit 1050core, which at again $269 lets it compete 1on1 against a gtx 570 stock and win a good number of benchs by a few frames
    qubit says thanks.
  21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Damn good suggestion there, Crazy. :rockout: Looks like bugging me twice helped, dunnit? :D

I've now had a good, proper look at it Gigabyte product page and Ebuyer's description which actually tells you more than Gigabyte does :wtf: as well as looking up a review and it's a no brainer. You get that super high overclock, Ultra Durable components and performance at stock is within a few FPS of a GTX 580. You're basically getting a 580 at midrange prices! (and yes, I know you can overclock a 580 to get even better performance.)

And the icing on the cake? Running this card at stock isn't much louder than a reference 560. So simply underclocking it to a reference 560 will likely make it even quieter than a reference card. And all this for only a smallish price premium over a reference card. What's not to like?

The only downside is that it's on preorder everywhere. However, that's a small price to pay for such a fantastic card.

Hexus reviewed it here. This is such a special card, that I really think W1zzard should review it. I reckon we'd all appreciate his take on it. :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    Your gut should be telling you to wait this gen out. It sucks.
  23. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It does? Maybe I missed something. :confused:

What do others think?
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    I didn't realize you were running a 285 man. Sorry. My dumb ass assumed you were running at least a last gen GPU. For you this gen. its fine. For anyone of the previous gen it sucks. If I were you I would wait on the AMD price drops just to see.
    qubit says thanks.
  25. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I say go now ( Overall ) Because there is no time like the present in computers....

But if you plan to resell your card later (With in the next few months) Then I might wait a little because you are right! The price of these cards are just destined to fall. When I did that with my GTX 460's I had to take a huge price cut because of it.

Now as far as performance goes.... if your GTX 285 is still doing what you need it to do. Then I would say hold off either for the price drop or next Gen.

The thing is that you seem to be someone who.... buys cards and then waits till you need to upgrade instead of wanting to upgrade just to upgrade. And for some reason the GTX 500 series and the AMD 6000 series seems to be stepping stone generations to me. Meaning that the next high end generation is not that far off around the corner. Then if that really is your buying style you might have buyers remorse.

But if you are someone who buys more often then that I would say.... shoot.... go for it. The GTX 560 Ti is a great card that will perform for you probably extremely well! You might also want to look at the AMD Radeon HD6950 1Gb cards..... more performance for less price. Plus they do make some version that I can verify that are quiet!

I just wanted to add that I was in a similar position to you lately. I was looking between the GTX 560 Ti's and the 6950 1gb's. I chose the XFX HD 6950's. Because of some similar reason you are considering. Mainly that of being noise.....I am sure that there are some GTX 560's out there that are quiet. But I find that my 6950 1Gb's are quiet enough because of there after market fans on them. Plus the added performance of about 10% on them and XFX Double Life time warranty. Just another option you might want too look at.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    qubit says thanks.